MIM tele - High E too close to edge of fingerboard?

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
I guess I’ll take some pictures and post them tomorrow, but my problem seems to be that the high E string is considerably closer to the edge of the fingerboard than the low E is, which makes me think that something is off (bridge? neck?). This makes pull offs rather difficult, and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if this is just how they all are and I need to adjust my technique?

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
I had actually thought about doing just that and will give it a shot. Thanks guys. Only other bolt on I’ve had hasn’t given me this issue and wasn’t sure if that was advisable.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
It could be a poorly cut nut? A recent MIM Tele I owned had the nut replaced under warranty from new for the same reason-high E falling off the edge.

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
It could be a poorly cut nut? A recent MIM Tele I owned had the nut replaced under warranty from new for the same reason-high E falling off the edge.
I had considered this, but hope it’s not the case. Did you have to send it to Fender or did they pay for a tech to take care of it locally?

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I used to have a Squier I’d bang back in place…then out…then back in. It used to horrify a band member while the other, like me, thought it was hilarious. It was a long time ago and it was very cheap. Wish I still had it for funzies. I was the bassist at the time so no worries.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
I had considered this, but hope it’s not the case. Did you have to send it to Fender or did they pay for a tech to take care of it locally?
If it was the nut, it would be very obvious and It's very easy to buy a replacement and install the nut yourself.

If the string is too close to the edge at the heel of the neck, its definitely the neck alignment which is, as drmordo above said, an easy fix of loosening the neck screws, realign and tighten screws.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I guess I’ll take some pictures and post them tomorrow, but my problem seems to be that the high E string is considerably closer to the edge of the fingerboard than the low E is, which makes me think that something is off (bridge? neck?). This makes pull offs rather difficult, and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if this is just how they all are and I need to adjust my technique?
Has it always been that way? Is the string SPACING equal? If cold weather has dried out the instrument, joints can certainly loosen.

Pix would be helpful.

Sometimes the neck just won't stay in place. In this case, don't OVERTIGHTEN the neck or you can strip out the wood, or even worse, break off a screw! There are usually fixes to keep the neck from sliding around (shims, tacky materials) as long as you CAN get the strings centered. If not, you may need to fill/re-drill the neck.

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
Has it always been that way? Is the string SPACING equal? If cold weather has dried out the instrument, joints can certainly loosen.

Pix would be helpful.

Sometimes the neck just won't stay in place. In this case, don't OVERTIGHTEN the neck or you can strip out the wood, or even worse, break off a screw! There are usually fixes to keep the neck from sliding around (shims, tacky materials) as long as you CAN get the strings centered. If not, you may need to fill/re-drill the neck.

Haven’t had the opportunity to take a real close look this morning, but the nut and string spacing seem fine at a glance. I’ve only had the guitar about a month and it’s intended to be a backup/tinker object (got it brand new for pretty cheap) so I haven’t played it a whole lot. I’ve really only noticed it recently after making an effort to play it more partly to gauge stuff like this. Hopefully just needs a readjustment/shim in the pocket.

I did replace the bridge and pickguard but that’s about it.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Haven’t had the opportunity to take a real close look this morning, but the nut and string spacing seem fine at a glance. I’ve only had the guitar about a month and it’s intended to be a backup/tinker object (got it brand new for pretty cheap) so I haven’t played it a whole lot. I’ve really only noticed it recently after making an effort to play it more partly to gauge stuff like this. Hopefully just needs a readjustment/shim in the pocket.

I did replace the bridge and pickguard but that’s about it.
Just do what drmordo says in post #2. Done.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
^^^Yep.

I like to use the fretboard dots as a gauge to center the D and G strings on them at the end of the neck.

Detune each string at least two turns before loosening each neck screw one full turn.

Be Gentle. Do not force the neck hard either way; if you do, you can crack the finish in the treble cutaway.

How-To-Slip-Neck.jpg

Winky

Tele-Holic
^^^Yep.

I like to use the fretboard dots as a gauge to center the D and G strings on them at the end of the neck.

Detune each string at least two turns before loosening each neck screw one full turn.

Be Gentle. Do not force the neck hard either way; if you do, you can crack the finish in the treble cutaway.

How-To-Slip-Neck.jpg
Good advice. Worth checking that the dots are truly central before placing too much reliance on them, though!