1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Strat ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by telekaster1999, Dec 25, 2011.

1. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

I have this strat in the classifieds here and it has been brought to my attention this could be a squier MIM instead of a FENDER mim. I dont think so. What do you say. I want to sell it, but want to be honest about what it is as well. Any help will be appreciated.THANKS.

Attached Files:

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

It says Fender not Squier

Looks like a Fender to me, all the Squiers I've ever seen havea Squier logo on the peghead.

3. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Send a message to [email protected] with the serial number and ask for the info sheet. Your guitar appears to be a Traditional Series mim strat, which was made in 96 and 97. The lineup then was Squier Series (still a Fender mim, not squire brand), which would have "squier series" where the "original contour body" is on MIA strats. The Traditional is next in line and has nothing.....which is what your guitar looks like. Both of these series have black Fender logos.

I used to have a 97 Traditional series and the neck was the absolutely nicest wood I have ever seen on a strat. Glossy finish and very nice shape. I believe that these were made in USA. The body was poplar and the tuners and hardware and pickups were very cheap import.

These are awesome bases if you want to put in locking tuners and your own choice of pickups and bridge. Craigslist ****s will hunt you down and tell the world that you're trying to sell a fake Fender (happened to me) even when you post the info sheet from Fender (which I did).

I would say that they bring less than later MIMs, but in the market today, all MIM's are incredibly cheap. If you're looking for more than $250, you won't get it. I sold mine for under $200 to someone local who planned to modify it as I talked about above.

Good luck. I think they are good guitars. They do scream "mod me", but a great platform.

This was mine:
    [​IMG]

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm quite sure it would say Squier on it if it were, indeed, a Squier..

5. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

6. telekaster1999

Thanks for the info. I suppose someone could have scratch off the squier series sticker(even though I see no evidence of it). But I can still be honest with my sell when I say its a MIM strat.Its a string thru by the way.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A good article on the Squier Series. According to the article, the Squier Series would have a all black Fender logo, a single ply pickguard, and possibly the word "Squier" stamped in the neck pocket. Serial n6mbers begin with MN3, MN4, MN5, MN6, MN7 or MN8.

http://davel.hubpages.com/hub/The-Fender-Squier-Series-Stratocaster-Not-A-Typical-Squier

I always thought they were pretty decent guitars, and that the word 'Squier' held their value down somewhat.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The following chart is for non-Squier Mexican-made Standard Stratocasters. (Dude above has faulty info.)

These would be silver Fender logo guitars btw :

Dating Mexican Made Fenders

SERIAL NUMBERS CIRCA
    MN0+ 5 DIGITS 1990-1991
    MN1+ 5 DIGITS 1991-1992
    MN2+ 5 DIGITS 1992-1993
    MN3+ 5 DIGITS 1993-1994
    MN4+ 5 DIGITS 1994-1995
    MN5+ 5 DIGITS 1995-1996
    MN6+ 5 DIGITS 1996-1997
    MN7+ 5 DIGITS 1997-1998
    MN8+ 5 DIGITS 1998-1999
    MN9+ 5 DIGITS 1999-2000
    MZ0+ 5 DIGITS 2000-2001
    MZ1+ 5 DIGITS 2001-2002
    MZ2+ 5 DIGITS 2002-2003
    MZ3+ 5 DIGITS 2003-2004
    MZ4+ 5 DIGITS 2004-2005
    MZ5+ 5 DIGITS 2005-2006
    MZ6+ 5 DIGITS 2006-2007
    MZ7+ 5 DIGITS 2007-2008

With the year 2000 came the introduction of the "Z" prefix serial numbers on US made instruments, which stood for the 0 of the new millennium. A Z0 prefix dates to 2000, a Z1 prefix dates to 2001 etcetera. The American Deluxe Series instruments use the same dating convention but with the addition of a "D" in front of the "Z", i.e. DZ1, DZ2 etcetera. Once again, and as always, there is typically some overlap and carryover of number prefixes from year to year.

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Not if a previous owner sanded it off. I've seen many Fender Squier Series guitars that have had the Squier logo removed.

Jim

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Have you owned it since it was new?

I've seen a couple of Squier bodies with Fender MIM necks on 'em.

11. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

It's a MIM Fender.......

I have one just like it and I love it, a great sounding and playing guitar. I keep mine tuned down a whole step from D to D and take it to gigs along with my Clapton Strat for some different things. Here's a shot of it. The one with the rosewood fingerboard is the MIM.......JH in Va.

Attached Files:

12. telekaster1999

I just emailed fender, hope too hear back soon. I cant possibly see how a person could have sanded of the squire series logo without being able to notice it. The fender logo looks to be under the finish.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well... yeah. I was quoting an article that appears to be complete... well, let's just say nonsense.

I remembered seeing a Squire Series Strat and Jazz Bass at a pawn shop, and today I made it a point to look at them closely. The bass turned out to be a piece of... nonsense. It has the Fender black and gold logo with the small Squire Series logo on the headstock ball, and Made in Korea under the logo. It's heavy, and appears to have a plywood or chipboard body of some sort. The neck is good, it sounds awful, and at $225.00 was just untouchable.

The Strat, on the other hand, seemed like a decent guitar. Same logo arrangement, but no country of origin marked anywhere (I didn't make note of the serial number). Good neck, good weight and balance, and played pretty well. $300.00 with no case, probably at the top of the price range, I didn't try to haggle on it, but around $225.00 I'd have been tempted.

Not sure if it helps or hurts, but there it is.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

With the MN6 serial number and it appears to be a 3 ply pickguard, you have a "Traditional Series" 1996-1997 model.

If you do a "Black Label MIM Strat" search in TDPRI, scroll down to "90's Fender Mexico w/Black Decal", there's an article about your model.

From the article the black decal models ('93-'98) are considered a Fender MIM. Even the "Squier Series" models. On the Traditional Series guitars there was not a decal to identify it, but they marketed them that way in the stores.

OOPs, coop47 already had the link posted.

15. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

dsutton24 wrote
    I have a 1992 Strat that almost meets this description ( logo is silver/black outline ) and I have seen a few of the same year on eBay and in stores . Plywood body also. Same tuner shape as MIM. Fender stamped bent steel saddles. Good neck. Sound is as good as a friend's Squier (by Fender) made in USA , another rare bird only made for around six months in 1989-90.
    MIK Fender "Squier Series" seems to be rarer than the MIM or maybe they were distributed in larger quantities in the asian countries.
    I did not find much info on these. MIM's "SS" are well covered on the net and on this site when compared to the MIK's "SS".

I have seen somewhere in the Squier history that Korean serial numbers having a C were made at the Cort factory. My MIK Fender "Squier Series" wears a CN2xxxx S/N where the N stands for Ninety as in MIM S/N so I presume mine was made in the same Cort factory in 1992.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.