1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Std Toploader? Hipshot bridge might be worth the cost!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Squawker, May 21, 2020.

1. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

I own a '96 MIM standard which until yesterday was 100% stock. I love the 7.25" maple neck, the vintage frets, the alnico PUPs.... pretty much everything EXCEPT the six barrel rattle-cage toploader bridge!

It's not that I need string-through but I hate juggling the saddle screws in the hope that all of them are making sufficient plate contact to stay quiet, even though the saddles are interfering with each other.

I've looked at the Hipshot 3-brass saddle conversion bridge, but the price was scary. It costs half of what I originally paid for the whole guitar! I tried one of the cheap Musiclily options with some added brass saddles, but the pickup mounting holes were far enough off that I couldn't mount the original Fender PUP properly (a Wilkinson fitted fine, so that's another case of American vs. Import dimensions). Also, the cheap bridge was cheaply flash chrome-plated and easily scratched. Disappointed, but you get what you pay for and it was cheap enough not to care - might end up on a project at some point.

So I bit the bullet, and ordered the Hipshot 44100-33:

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/telecaster-retrofit-bridge

3-hole mount, 3 brass compensated saddles in stainless steel.

Let's just say it fits perfectly, it intonates excellently, it looks and feels great in your hand and on the guitar. And no rattle!! Also, it's not as long as some (older?) online pictures show. It's actually marginally shorter than the original bridge which is great
    IMG_20200520_224849.jpg

Expensive? Absolutely! But if the rattle-cage is driving you mad and you don't fancy a string through conversion or going to 4 mounting screws, the Hipshot does a perfect job.

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, those 6-saddle bridges are a lousy design. What were they thinking? I'd have gone for a cheaper replacement, but then that's me being cheap, and you have to go with what makes you happy.

3. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

That explains the rattle on my Korean Squier Tele! Rather then buy that lovely looking Hipshot bridge (which costs more than I paid for the Tele [emoji41]) I’m going to swap out the saddles for these - assuming the spacing is correct which I’ll check before ordering:

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_40&products_id=196

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Squawker, I so glad you tried that out.

I kinda meant to buy one, since nobody else had I could think of, to see how it might work.

Thanks for the post!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.