1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM special edition tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Feb 18, 2012.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Does anyone have this ash/maple natural finish tele, and if so what are your thoughts? Especially concerning quality of tone.

2. Chris R

Chris R TDPRI Member

Does it have a modern or vintage bridge? Mine has a vintage one on it but I know there is a different FSR with a modern one.

3. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

This tele is one of the last that i really covet. There are a few members like Nadzab and a gentleman from the NC that i can recall. There a definitely a few members. I will be getting one of these soon.

4. fender4life

modern bridge and keys, not my preference, but seem like such a great tele i'm contemplating buying it. This one isn't a FSR, which afaik is GC exclusive, no? This one has a sticker on the back of the head that says special edition.

5. Chris R

Chris R TDPRI Member

Yup I got mine at GC but it has that sticker as well. In any case, I don't know much about your tele but most of the special runs are great :)

6. fender4life

7. heavypic

heavypic TDPRI Member

fender4life,

I bought this guitar from MI last year. It has the "Fender Special Edition" decal on the back of the headstock however the tint/color is butterscotch blonde (BSB) and has what they advert as a satin-finish neck with 'vintage' neck tint.

I ordered two online...one had a very light body with a thinner neck...sent this one back because of bad neck dive. The second one was the keeper...medium to heavy body (very resonant) and the neck was a little beefier than your typical 'C' tele/strat neck. This guitar plays very well...vintage noiseless pups sound nice...my first tele though, so I can't compare to real vintage pups. I do get a lot of pickguard static so I ordered supplies to do a complete cavity and PG shielding. The stock cavities have shielding paint. The guitar is currently available online at MF.

8. david_lewis93

david_lewis93 Tele-Holic

I have one and its not a bad little axe did put keystones on it and a compensated 3 saddle bridge ,has a good neck not too heave between a strat and a LP .Sounds good through my Blues Jr.with a couple or so different pedals .I like her. Oh think I got her from M.F.

bend em tight and let er scream !

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  9. jhergert

jhergert Tele-Meister

I bought a MIM Butterscotch Blonde Ash FSR from GC recently and paid $499. It has the vintage 3 saddle bridge and the finish, frets and quality is really good. It had the controls reversed, which personally I don't get, so I reversed the controls back to where they should be and installed a Van Zandt True Vintage bridge pickup. I've ordered a Harmonic Design Mini-Strat for the neck. It is really a nice axe now and sounds killer. It actually sounded good before I switched pickups so you might try one of these out. I call it my poor man's '52. Good luck with your search.

10. fender4life

Are some of the special editions satin finish necks and others gloss? If so, is there a patter to it, IE: the ones with the vintage bridge/tuners gloss and the one with modern satin or visa versa?

11. xagyg

xagyg Tele-Holic

I got one of these too. When you reversed the control plate (i.e. put it back to normal) did you have to gouge out a bit of wood to fit it back in?

12. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Yes I have two BSB FSR's but I thought we were talking about Natural Ash like David Lewis's.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neither the FSR nor the Special Edition MIM is exclusive the Guitar Center/MF.

As I understand it, all the dealer has to do is step up and order the requisite number of them. That's usually the trick, many small dealers don't do the volume to step up and order 20 of a single Special Edition or FSR (or whatever amount is called for).

14. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

My father in law has one and it's a nice guitar.

15. jdaunt

jdaunt Tele-Meister

Have one and I love it. Put on a set of Ernie Ball Pure Nickel .11s, other than that no mods. Incredible tone. I pretty much only use the neck pup, but it has that perfect sweet bluesy tone.

16. sassythesasquatch

sassythesasquatch NEW MEMBER!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is my MIM with the Special Edition sticker. It has a thin profile neck with a gloss finish. Quite nice sounding though I want to change the neck pickup for a mini humbucker that'll give me bluesy Gary Moore kind of tone. Does anyone have any recommendations or know any details like pickups already in this guitar? The sound is rather modern. I don't know the year but I bought it relatively new unused a few years ago.

17. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

A78C5F68-C68C-42C4-B28A-8FB27E90CC08.jpg EDEA69B1-801B-4689-8BCE-D29320601A7A.jpg A2F1A67B-C379-479C-8AA9-4F84915D80E7.jpg I just got what I think may be a Mexican special edition uh tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.