1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Roadworn Quality Control

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Knave101, Apr 1, 2021.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I got a bit of anger (elsewhere) after I said that I felt that the MIM Player series weren't as good as some were making out. The frets and fret ends on my MIM Player series Jaguar were rough. In fact I tried a number of them and found they all suffered to varying degrees.

Slight possibility it is the Pau Ferro fingerboard as the (one) maple fingerboard Player Strat I tried felt good (plenty of poly over the fingerboard and frets to smooth the edges I guess?).

In the end I bought the least bad/best deal I could, since by this time there were hardly any available to buy in the UK. I spent part of my lock down sorting out the frets, fret ends and rolling the fingerboard edges, sanding the PF and buffing it all up. It plays really well now, but if I hadn't got the confidence to do work like that myself building my avatar guitar, then I wouldn't have bought it.

Oddly, my MIM Classic 50s Lacquer Tele was one of my nicest guitars as it came. Admittedly it was 6 months old and bought used, but I don't think the guy who owned did any work on it himself. The neck that my avatar guitar was made with is a MIM too, it hasn't needed a level and crown despite it being sold as a bare neck; I fitted tuners and cut the nut and it plays perfectly (it's a very fat neck, so maybe this helps, especially with regard to truss rod adjustments).

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hmmm nitro over poly.......... I did this quite a few years ago. You get the "softer" shine of Nitro plus all the micro scratches and nicks that folks crave and you have a great base to start with.

Gary

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, this stuff can be buffed up, but there's some deglossing agents in the top finish so it won't ever be "hot" gloss. And, seems to me, the buffing doesn't stay done - it will have to be redone from time to time as it trends back towards its natural state.

As to whether it is "nitro", nothing you can find today, in the way of finishes, is like the lacquer we used as kids in the 1950s. These concoctions change as the supplies of chemicals change, and lots of the stuff we used to used is basically "verboten" now. As it probably should be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.