MIM & return to gigging

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Neilmatthews3233, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Neilmatthews3233

Neilmatthews3233 TDPRI Member

I’d hope so...basically they heard me play my acoustic and I’m on a site called Bandmix and my gear listed, just asked about my Tele and I told the guy about it and that was the comment; “Get something like an American Pro if you’re going to gig regularly” and then something about the electrics and reliability.

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

You should show up to the first practice with a hello kitty guitar!

hebonsuozxkg7ahioryl.jpg

3. Neilmatthews3233

I think his question was around electrics but I’ve never had a problem with them and I’ve had it 4 years. Admittedly I only gigged with it a handful of times a while ago which is what made me pause and question it.

4. Neilmatthews3233

He’s not heard it; they’ve only heard me play acoustic and the gear bit came up later... it was around regular use and reliability of the electronics...

Fiesta Red and Jason_ like this.
  5. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Did a few gigs with a SX body with a Squier neck, Quilter amp. Leaving one gig, one of the customers said to me passing by----"That sure must be an expensive guitar to sound that good." I responded with a small laugh and said----"You might be surprised." Counting the new pickups, pots and switch, I had about $200 total in it.

6. Neilmatthews3233

Good question, thanks. They’ve heard me play my acoustic so I hope my playing is ok (I ain’t great but I’m okay), it was the fact I’d never really (beyond a handful) gigged my tele and the question of electrics reliability of a MIM vs USA made... its why I asked in this forum as I’m happy with the tone, feel and everything about my guitar, the only thing I’ve changed is the pick guard (from white originally) and I love the look.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'd tell him to shove his band where the sun don't shine. He's a cretin.

MickM, Gene O., Fendereedo and 7 others like this.
  8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

There is nothing wrong with MIM Tele's. Like any othe guitar you have to set them up. They sound good. If you don't like the sound change the PU's
    I gig regularly with an Ibanez AM73B ,,, i changed the pickups because I wanted something a little hotter. There is nothing wrong with it and even with the mod it is cheaper than the MIM Tele.
    If you like the sound and it plays well enough for you why would you care?

Ronzo and Neilmatthews3233 like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

So, his concern is mainly about "reliability"??????? He's more of an idiot than we first thought!

Loaded Goat, howardlo, dented and 4 others like this.
  10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I gig with MIM Fenders. OP, if the other guitar player in the band is telling you, this early in, what equipment you should use, imo prospects don't look good for a easy going band situation. Run away fast!

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The guitar that feels right to you, that helps you to make the sound that you are looking for, is always the best one. It's always about function: it's an instrument.

I understand all the reasons why people develop a loyalty to local products and brands. I like to deal with local businesses and eat foods grown in my neighbourhood. It's a long time, however, since country of origin and retail price equated to automatically superior performance, from a guitar.

Neilmatthews3233 likes this.
  12. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

It’s snobbery. I suggest you pick up his made in the USA guitar and find some thing wrong about it and let home know. Or maybe just tell him you put super high end pickups in your MIM, if he’s worried about this stuff that much, then he’ll never be able to tell the difference ;)

Jlwctn, preactor and Neilmatthews3233 like this.
  13. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I’d show up with Greenie, lay down Grinder by Priest, then leave.
    [​IMG]

GuitLoop and Neilmatthews3233 like this.
  14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The internet gripe about MIM guitars is that the electronic hardware is lower quality and wears out in hard use. I have no idea if there's any truth to that.

I'd just thank him for his concern and wait and see how it plays out. If your switch or pots start acting up it's cheap to replace them.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The pots and caps, switch and jack, are the same as MIA. CTS, CRL, Switchcraft ...

I often wonder if the MIA guitars are assembled with loaded pickguards that were shipped in from the MIM plant that did the sub-assembly and soldering. It would be easy and inexpensive to do it that way and still maintain MIA status on the finished guitar. Or, the MIA factory pickguard sub-assembly line could be so efficient they ship loaded pickguards to MIM and then cut import duties/fees on guitars making their way back. Both models have been used in other industries.

A Squier can have the durability problem, and maybe that is what the other guy is thinking, but $30 in the same premium control parts used in MIM/MIA can fix those guitars up to be gig worthy.

MIM models are really out there as 'the working gig musicians' guitar.

Loaded Goat and howardlo like this.
  16. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

It sounds like he doesn't actually have any experience with Mexican Fenders. You should've just told him it was American; it still says Fender on the headstock.

17. GoldieTop

GoldieTop TDPRI Member

The last two bands I've been in both had another guitar player whose only guitar was a MIM Tele. One of those guitarists beat on their poor MIM and it was no worse for the wear. The other one is a little more gentle, but plays his guitar a ton. Plays a lot of shows, uses it at every practice, and practices at home. Ni reliability problems.

Come to think of it, the guitarists who beats on her Tele, was at one point in about 4 bands at the same time. And she's had that Tele as her only guitar for about 5 or 6 years. So it's safe to say she has played the hell out of it. Still no reliability issues.

I'm not buying it. AFAIC MIM *can* be just as good as MIA. It all depends on the model and how it's spec'ed. I know I'd rather play a Baja than a MIA Standard.

Loaded Goat and Jim622 like this.
  18. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Lol, I once worked for a band leader who didn't like my amp and wanted me to get a Peavey. The amp in question was a mid-fifties Bassman.

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is a (mis) conception that you need top-end, quality gear to gig. Not true.
    There is a (mis) conception that there is a quality gap in the Fender range - all MIM are below it, and all MIA are above it. Not true.

My opinion - top end MIM guitars are better quality that lower end MIA.
    My opinion - even the MIM standard is a good guitar, worthy of playing out.

Maybe there are more dogs in the MIM line than MIA? Who knows. If you find a guitar that works for you, play it. Nobody is going to come to you after a gig and say "That would have been better if you upgrade to a MIA". If that does happen, it will be from a troll gear snob.

Bring it and play it. Nothing else matters.

JIMMY JAZZMAN and howardlo like this.
  20. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

The guy is insecure, or ignorant...perhaps both. That is the only logical explanation i can think of.

nojazzhere, howardlo and bgmacaw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.