MIM neck quality?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bgator, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bgator

bgator TDPRI Member

I'm not happy with the current neck on my Tele. I'm considering buying a MIM tele and putting the neck on my current guitar (as well as using the body for another project).

My other options are holding out for a MIA, Allparts or Warmoth neck. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between any of those and MIM neck? I've played a few MIM Teles in Guitar Center, and the quality seems quite good to me.

I'd appreciate any comments anybody has to offer.

2. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

I dig the MIM necks on both the guitars and basses, especially the newer ones. They have a somewhat slim profile and medium sized frets as well as a satiny finish, which I like. I also recently picked up an unfinished Allparts TRO-C neck (10" radius, tall frets, rosewood board) and I enjoy that quite a bit, too. It was only $129 since it was unfinished, and I just picked up a $6 bottle of Formby's tung oil finish to take care of that.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

MIM necks and bodies are fine

I have played a lot of MIM Teles and Strats, all of them feel good to me. My buddy has a 50s RI MIM Tele and the neck on that one feels as good as most any neck I've ever played.
    I have a MIM Baja Tele neck on my main axe and I love it.
    The MIM and USA necks are all cut out on CNC machines, so they are very consisitent IMHO. Not much difference between them other than tuners and location of the truss rod adjustment hole , in some cases.

4. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

I broke the truss rod on my 1990 American Standard years ago...shown here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/welcome-wagon/187490-rebuilding-telecaster-fl.html#post2157100

I debated getting a Warmoth or USAG neck. It might be better quality but the value of the guitar will sink to nothing. I ended up buying an American Highway One neck from Ebay (the guy that sells new Fenders part by part).

It's superior to the original 1990 American Standard neck as far as playability. (I don't know about the new American Standard necks). I wanted a rosewood fingerboard this time and the frets are JUMBO. The other neck had small frets and I hated them. Also, the original neck was thin. My hand was cramping using it. The Highway One neck is just right. I'm really happy I bought it. This guitar now plays the best it ever has.

And I still have a Fender with all American parts. As soon as my new pickup screws come I will post a picture on the other thread. My current screws are rusted. :mad:

5. bgator

bgator TDPRI Member

Thanks for your comments.

6. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - I bought a 2008 "Highway One neck from Ebay (the guy that sells new Fenders part by part)" too and the quality was as good as my Warmoth necks.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

The newer Standard MIM Tele necks are real nice, 2008 or newer. I had a HWY1 neck and those frets where just too big for me and for Tele IMO. The Frets on the 08 MIM maple neck are Medium Jumbo, a little bigger than the regular Tele and the ones mighty might call Medium Jumbo, but smaller than the HYW1 on which where truly Jumbo. So depending what you are looking for...
    I also like the medium thicker profile on the one I got recently, an 08 MIM.

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - that is true, they are american necks, and great quality - but you would have to like big frets because they are certainly jumbos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.