MIM neck on a 2002 Affinity body?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by KelvinS1965, Oct 4, 2014.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I have the chance of a MIM neck that has my preferred 7.25" radius and vintage frets (like my '57 RI Squier Strat) and wondered if it would be a straight swap on to my 2002 Affinity Tele?

Measuring the heal size on the existing neck it looks like 55mm (only using a steel ruler, no calipers), but I wondered if there are any other 'gotchas'.

Since getting my Strat back from being refinished I now appreciate the differences in necks/string spacing and find the narrower nut/bigger frets/flatter radius on the Affinity doesn't work for me as well as the more vintage shape neck.

2. Steve-0-

Steve-0- TDPRI Member

You may want to check the neck plate and holes etc. I found that the neck from my affinity (which I liked a lot) wouldn't fit on a standard US or MIM body as the holes didn't line up. More noticeable when comparing the neck plates which were clearly different.

Steve

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

That's a good point, though I'm now looking at a bare neck from North West guitars as I realised the neck I was looking at had jumbo frets, not vintage. NW do a 'vintage neck' with the specs the same as my '57 Strat, plus it needs the neck holes drilling into it, so it avoids the issue you mention.

The issue with that option is that I have to fit the tuners myself and they list an 8mm bush size and the Kluson tuners they sell are 8.5mm. :confused: Plus the cost of the neck, plus tuners starts adding up...

EDIT: This is the neck from NW:

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/1-piece-guitar-neck-for-telecaster-vintage-spec-7-25-radius-quarter-sawn/

I'm thinking I could ream out the holes to fit these 8.6mm bushes split post:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Deluxe-Machine-Heads-Chrome-p/arusingdlxvintcr.htm

4. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Neck holes are not an issue. If it fits the neck pocket, plug and resell the holes in the neck...

As far as neck pocket, I don't knowif the affinity and MIM parts are interchangeable. The CV and MIM are, I changed mine!

5. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

It should work fine, may sit a tad high but not enough to be a problem, just raise the saddles a little. Seems that the Affinity neck pockets are a little shallow.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've decided to go a different route: I tried a '50s Classic Tele yesterday and I really liked it (bar a slightly dull neck pick up). So I think I'll just put my Affinity back to standard pick ups and sell it on, maybe try my OVs in the 50's Classic, specifically the neck, otherwise I'll just sell them on separately later. The cost of the vintage neck and tuners starts to mount up and this route wouldn't cost that much more and I end up with a vintage bridge/through string body which I seem to prefer.

There is a second hand lacquer version 50's Classic for sale near me for the same price as the new poly version, so it depends on whether I go for that (in white blond) or a new two tone poly which will then match my two tone Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.