1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Fender Robert Cray Strat Neck Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by EllenGtrGrl, Nov 28, 2020.

1. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I'm sitting pretty good at the present time in the Tele category, with my Britt Daniel Thinline, but I've had low level GAS for a Robert Cray Strat for a couple of years (I'd prefer a hardtail Strat, to one with a vibrato). The thing is, I also like a chunky neck. I read that the Cray Strats have nice and chunky necks, but that information is several years old. Does anybody know if the Robert Cray Strat still has a nice and chunky neck? I can't tell from Fender's website - all they do is list its neck as being an "Early 60s C Profile." From what I remember, some of the early 60s Fenders had pretty thin necks.

2. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

They are very chunky.. Mr Cray must have some big hands because that neck is CHUNKY.. It was too big for me to play comfortably... I would say I have medium size hands.. If you like chunky necks yer gonna love it.. But its NOT yer standard 60`s profile at all..

3. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info! :)

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i say, if you want that big fat neck, be careful if you are ordering it sight unseen. i say this because several years ago i bought a cray strat and it did not have the big neck. i had never seen one before, so i didn't know any better. it had some sweet sounding pick ups, though.

months later after i bought that guitar, the same shop had one with the right neck and it was much different than what was on mine.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I played one years ago at a store for a few minutes only, I don't remember a chunky neck on it at all. More of a typical medium C MIM neck shape. Not thin though. So maybe they have varied over the years?

6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got one (not too recent) on a Partscaster. It's medium C for sure. Not huge like you may be thinking.

7. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Hmmm, maybe I should think a bit more about this. BTW a Medium C is OK for me - it doesn't necessarily have to be a baseball bat neck.

Thanks for the additional information.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a Robert Cray MIM Strat years ago, I liked the neck, I don't remember it being huge, seemed similar to the MIM 60s Classic RI as I recall, maybe a bit bigger, had better frets. The neck was the best thing on the RC Strat I owned.
    So play one first somewhere, it's always a good idea if possible, if not get good measurements and compare them to a Strat neck that you have or are familiar with.

9. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

I said it was big.. But I maybe the worst person to make a commit .. All of my Fenders have 7.25 V shaped necks.. So all most all other Fender necks feel bigger to me. Also like I said I don't have really big hands.. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.