1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Deluxe Player's Strat Wiring. Problem?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hockey Rocker, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Something's whacky with my Deluxe Player's Strat. As you may be aware, it features a push button between the tone pots that activates the bridge pickup in positions four and five of the blade switch. Nice feature, right?

The electronics seem to function properly unless I have the switch in position 5, neck pup only, without the button pushed down. When it's in that position the second tone pot (middle pickup) acts like a volume control in reverse! Meaning when I roll back the second tone pot with just the neck pup engaged I increase the volume. Rat bags.

I've wired my own T-style partscaster, but I don't think I'm ready for this unless it's an easy fix. Help!

Does this make sense to you? Can you please offer guidance? Should I try to open it up or head for the shop? This couldn't possibly be normal for a Deluxe Player, could it? Thanks!

2. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I took it in yesterday. He thinks it's just a short. Weird though. It's covered by warranty. He will throw on a Tusq nut for me and set it up with 10s while he's fixing it. I don't have the right tools for slotting and my finishing work on pre-slotted nuts is okay but I tend to hack 'em up a bit with my files.

3. porto leone

porto leone Tele-Meister

unless your stock nut is very low you don't need a Tusq one (IMO).
    your wiring problem must be an easy fix (must be a short or something).
    the first thing i would consider to change is the whole bridge (the saddles atleast).
    have fun with your DP!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.