MIM Copperburst Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by television, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

PS-- Now that I've seen the Silverburst Tele (in person) and the Copperburst (in the pics above) I think I can say that I like them, but I think they are both crying out for a rosewood fingerboard.

Now, I prefer maple on Teles, but the really white/balsa wood look of the current MIMs just look garish up against the black of those bursts to me.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Holy cow! It's like you have an invisible bender!

3. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Not sure if I like it or not. I'm on the fence. Definitely wouldn't buy one.

4. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

If they've switched to Ceramics in the MIM Teles, that's a recent change. All the Teles I've seen have AlNiCo poles in the bridge pickups and my '04 had an AlNiCo set in it before I swapped in a Broadcaster and an SSL-1 neck. I thought they recently switched the MIM Standards to the AlNiCo III pickups that used to come in the H1s.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Heh, I've finally found my sparkle 'burst!

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I was just curious, they have been getting wildly varying reviews. I love mine, I had to give it a decent set up, but it's really a great low buck guitar and so cool looking.

7. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

that's seriously what i thought too. i could lightly wiggle the neck while playing chords and it sounded like i had a boss vb-2 cranked. kind of a cool effect (defect:confused:), but not a $450 dollar one.

8. FatFenders

FatFenders TDPRI Member

copperburst retail price?

So are the Copperburst teles supposed to retail for $449.99? I was charged $499.99.

9. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

$499 is the street price.

10. nrps

nrps Tele-Meister

All I need is a can of black spray paint and I can make one of them Copperburst ....

[​IMG]

11. BAM!101

BAM!101 TDPRI Member

where do I get in line for one of these?

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just bought one of these yesterday. Here's my review after gigging it twice today-

I had looked at it for weeks hanging on the wall at the local GC. I thought it looked amazing, but I've always been disappointed by MIM guitars, and had sworn off them "for good", so I never picked it up. I know some folks aren't digging the burst but it's gorgeous IMO. I did two gigs with it today and got butt loads of compliments on it. One was outdoors and I gotta tell ya, that copper burst looks AMAZING in bright sunlight. I think it looks a ton better than the standard MIM burst, but I'm a guy who really hates sunburst generally. I do love the 50's two-color burst, and that's kind of what this reminds me of, but cooler.

FWIW, I hate the silver burst. Looks like a dirty ashtray to me. I never liked it on Gibsons, and it looks worse on a Fender.

Anyhow, I finally plugged it in and played it, and fell in love. I couldn't leave it in the store. It's a really well made guitar. It's a huge cut above the other MIM stuff I've had. I've never kept an MIM guitar for more than a month or two, and they usually get returned in a matter of days. They just always end up disappointing me. This one is out of this world. It does not feel like I'm playing an MIM guitar. And while I've heard that some of them are heavy, mine is light as a feather. I haven't weighed it, but it's easily a full two pounds lighter than my other tele and my Am. Std. strat. The body is so light it's actually a little neck heavy, but not bad enough to bother me.

After tweaking the setup it plays fantastic. The fret and nutwork are superb. As good as any of my MIA stuff, and better than some of it. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I set everything where I like it and the guitar played great with no buzzing, or fret out spots when bending. I was blown away. I have never seen an MIM guitar, even brand new straight out of the box, that didn't need a fret leveling to handle my setup and play the way I think a guitar should. Great job Fender. I never thought I'd I'd see the day, but Ensanada knocked it outta tha park with this one.

I am fairly impressed with the sound of the stock pickups. I will probably change at least the neck, as it's a little dull and thunky sounding for what I like, but I'm going to adjust them some more and give them a fair shake before I chuck 'em. Love the vintage bridge assembly, and the glossy neck finish and vintage logo add a ton of class to an already gorgeous guitar.

I had never tried a reversed control plate before, but I figured I'd give it a shot. After two gigs today, I can say for 100% certain it's getting flipped to it's traditional orientation. Maybe I don't get it, or maybe I don't play like other people, but holy cow, what a PITA. I can't see the reasoning behind flipping it at all. For somebody who uses the switch as much as I do, it makes no sense. I can say for sure that I hate that part of this guitar.:lol: Luckily it's easily remedied with a few minutes and a hot soldering iron.

The only mod I have 100% decided on other than flipping the control panel to it's proper orientation, is to put a round string tree on it. Nothing wrong with the stock one, but IMO it looks wrong with the vintage style bridge and logo. The jury is still out on the tuners. Like the pickups, I'm not ready to chuck 'em just because, but I'm not totally in love with them either. I really wish that since they did the vintage bridge (looks like the US vintage RI bridge, can anybody confirm or deny?) that they would have matched the nice Kluson style tuners to it, but I guess you can't have everything.

Anyhow, that's it in a nutshell. If you like the color, and you're on the fence for some other reason, I would highly recommend giving one of these a shot. It's a hell of a lot of guitar for $499, and for the $425 I payed, it's ridiculous.

13. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

:p I was actually thinking of painting one of mine like this. It's beautiful!

14. garyd5158

garyd5158 Tele-Afflicted

I really like this one, the black outline is painted not to thick/not thin and I like they way the copper paint is seen in the lower bout, it's not just all black there like some bursts are.

Great score FatFenders

15. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

A tinted neck would look good on that...

16. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

They've had crappie high output ceramics in the MIM standard line for a good four or five years now. Pull them from a 07 MIM Tele I had - dead, lifeless and muddy as the Mississippi - huge honkin' bar mags...yuck.

17. CTMBlues

CTMBlues TDPRI Member

Maybe off topic and maybe not. I bought a lefty MIM in brown sunburst ten days ago. It had such a killer sound at GC and the neck felt great. I'd been wanting a Tele or ASAT of some sort for the past 6 months anyway. It came with 9's and I think those might be part of the tuning issue. The 9's were just too slinky for me and there is no longer a tuning issue after I did my own setup. (see below)

Loved the sound but I also love to tinker so I bought a pair of SCN Samarium pickups at GC for $92 (on closeout and they came in from another store) and put them in over the weekend. The old pups are in the pic in case any of you care to identify them. There was a stamp under the pickguard that said August 2010. Not sure it sounds a whole lot better but they are noiseless. The pups that came with it had a great sound to my ears though. The new ones sound at least as good. Hard to do an A-B in this case.

I did a few other things in the process. I tightened all the tuners to the head stock. Loosen first and then snug them up. I tightened the screw in each of the turning heads also. I was able to just slightly tighten the four screws attaching the neck to the body. I lightly ran steel wool across each of the frets to smooth them up a bit. It helped with bends. Be careful not to get the steel wool bits too close the the neck pickup. I rubbed some lemon oil on the fret boad and the back of the neck. I then changed the strings to 10's and put on DR Pure Blues. They sound incredible on this guitar.

The action was almost too good to be true and I had to raise a few of the saddles a bit too eliminate some minor buzzing. Intonation was perfect from the factory except slightly off on one string. My next project might be to throw a 4-way switch in there. In the meantime, this has got to be the best inexpensive ($499) guitar that I have ever owned. It's just a wonderful guitar as I love the shape of the neck and the fret work is really good. Wanted to share with everyone here my new Tele acquisition. These guitars rock!

With the new ones ready to be installed

Opened up with original pups still in place

The old pups

The guitar after the rebuild

Attached Files:

18. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

I like the paint job. It's nice to see something different come out. Change is always good for those who welcome it. For those that don't.....there are millions of butterscotch and sunbursts out there to be had. So, it's cool to see a new finish on something that doesn't have the Squier logo on it. I've been loving the Squier finishes but simply won't buy one, but why let all the Squier players have all the cool finishes? It's about time they are thinking outside the finish box a bit for their MIM guitars. I hope that they trickle into the MIJ and MIA versions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.