MiM Classic 50 vs MiJ 62 Reissue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BlazOfAllPeople, Dec 27, 2016.

1. BlazOfAllPeople

BlazOfAllPeople TDPRI Member

Which would you suggest I buy, a Classic Series 50s Telecaster or a Japanese TL62 Reissue Telecaster. I listen to Pink Floyd, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin

EDIT: Classic 60s Stratocaster is also an option

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

TL62. Looks better, imo a easier to play neck, and as an owner of US and Japanese fender teles, the Japanese is a better product. Your influences aren't better served by one or the other, they're both standard telecasters

BlazOfAllPeople likes this.
  3. BlazOfAllPeople

What year is your MiJ from? The one i'm looking at is a 2010

4. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Mine is 2015. Everything about it is a cut above the US one, and I definitely include the pick ups in that

5. BlazOfAllPeople

Do you have Texas specials?

6. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

No, standard pups. Very clear, resonant, and yeah, hotter than the US one

7. BlazOfAllPeople

Oh, okay. I thought they were the same, cause the one i'm looking at comes with texas specials and the owner says they're stock

8. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

If he says yours are then I'm sure they are. Like I said, my mij is hotter than the US telecaster for sure, and I prefer how it sounds to the other one

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I feel the MIM classic series are much better sounding. Japan non import models use wood that just doesn't quite sound right IMO, at least the alder. I'll say right up front i'm not gonna debate that but i have reason to believe that having owned a few, and you won't change my mind nor will i change yours.

The 90's imports sounded fine but were basswood which is a bit different sounding than alder Had several MIM classic teles and strats, still do, and find them worlds better. Im talking wood. you can always change pickups and electronics, tho the MIM's come with much better pots and switch. Pickups is a toss up. The japan models (NOT including 90's or earlier USA imports) also do not have standardized pickguards or control plates.

In short, i'd take a MIM classic series over a boatload of MIJ's. But i WOULD recommend a alder rosewood tele for the music you cited, and it's a much more versitile sound and IMO one of the best most versatile guitars there is. If tone matters much to you i'd recommend you look at either the classic series 60's tele or the baja 60's.(same as the C60's but flatter radius/bigger frets and USA pickups with a modded switching scheme) My last MIJ was the double bound 62. I sold it after months of trying everything i could to make it sound right. I changed EVERYTHING but the body and neck and it just never sounded right. Same exact thing happened to me with a MIJ strat imported around 2000r there about's. A CVC i bought soon after blew it away in tone and even build quality was at least equal. I had a classic 60'sandam looking to get another after making the mistake of selling it. (long story) Definatey the best sounding tele i've owned to date.

infiniteposse likes this.
  10. BlazOfAllPeople

Yeah, I looked at the Baja too, but it's a bit too expensive. The ones i'm looking at are both used for 600€. I actually found a store near me which sells classic series 60s strats too, for 670€ so that could be a good idea too.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Great strats those. I have the first year MIM 60's strat, i think 1998 or 9. I modded it like i do all strats to get em where i want, but regardless it's the best strat i've owned and thats decades of nothing but strats till i got into teles a few years ago. It sounds fantastic and i will never sell it. I really feel the MIM classic series and variants are the best vintage style guitars to ever wear the fender name to date for the money. I used to have a number of MIJ 90's import models with the basswood bodies and really liked those, and when they stopped importing them and the MIM classics took thier space i was bummed till i saw and played them and now realize they are even better, especially due to the period correct woods.

12. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

I'm a sucker for '62... Had the chance to compare this autumn the '62 version with Baja '60, which I also had on my short list. Guess what? Japan '62 distroyed the competition...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.