1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Cabronita vs 72 Reissue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by drob, Jan 25, 2018.

1. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Hey all, looking to add a humbucker based tele. Torn between these two. Thoughts?

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Filtertrons don't sound remotely like Wide Range Humbuckers. And neither of them sound like humbuckers if by humbuckers you mean Gibson-type PAF or similar pickups (when you say "humbuckers" that's what most people associate with the word). You need to try these for yourself to get a sense of what they sound like and how they behave in your hands.

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Just FYI, the humbuckers in the 72 reissue guitars are indeed just PAF types in an oversized cover. They are nothing like vintage wide range humbuckers at all.

sjruvolo likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Still apples and oranges. What do you expect it to do?
    Better but both just in case.

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You should play them yourself to built your own decision, but if you want my preference I'd go 72 custom, it is a nobrainer for me.
    Good luck!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d get the Cabronita, then I’d put TV Jones pickups in it.
    They are vastly superior to the stock pickups, IMO.

Aaron1061 and MahoganyStratDZ like this.
  7. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Look up the kohms of the pickups in both. From memory the Cabronita pickups are lower wound than the Wide Range so you'll get more sparkle out of the former and more amp driving but risk muddiness (which can be fixed with series cap if too much) with the second. I haven't owned or played either but the pickup specs can point you toward what characteristics of the guitar you'll want to get. Or swap pickups and pots and caps.

Check out the reviews on the necks for both to see if that's what you want. And control functions 2 or 4 knobs.

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have owned both. I still have the Cabronita, if that answers your question.

10. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I’ve had both and once I put new pots and tuners in the 72 Thinline, it was amazing. The cabronita needed new tuners, new bridge and new pickups. The stock ones were pathetic. Both have their own mojo

11. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I have two Cabs - thinline and solid. Great necks, look good and the standard Fidelitrons are a lot of fun

Surfie likes this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a MIM Cabronita. Easily one of my favorite guitars. I'd pick one up because until they start making more they're gonna get more scarce and prices are going to go up.

As far as the stock pickups, I was gonna replace them with TV Jones until I watched a few videos where they were compared side-by-side. IMO there was just a small difference in tone; certainly not enough to justify the cost of replacing them (TV Jones pickups ain't cheap). IMO it's great as-is.

Neck is very nice too. I think it's supposed to be a Modern C (like on the MIM Standard), but it's a bit more chunky. Not much, but at least for me, it's just about a perfect Tele neck.

13. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a MIM Cabronita and really liked it, but the Fidelitrons were nothing like Gibson-type humbuckers. If you're looking for a Tele that approximates that a 72 Reissue is probably more your speed. My Cabronita made me want to play early British Invasion and Nuggets type stuff all day rather than thick late 60s and 70s stuff

14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have a thinline MIM Cab and I love the neck and weight (about 6.5lbs). I did put in some TV Jones and since I could not get the intonation right and the bridge spacing was too wide at the bridge, I replaced the bridge with one that has a 2-1/16" spacing. I still had to remove all but one of the springs to get it to intonate, but now it is such a great guitar. I considered buying a set of the shorter saddles, but didn't end up having to do it.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/cabronita-thinline-bridge-replacement.763868/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.