1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM Cabronita String Tension Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JTele99, Jun 28, 2015.

1. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

I recently swapped from 10s to 11s on my Fenders because they felt too loose on the bass end. This went absolutely perfect on my Strat, the thing feels great, but they are still looser than I'd like on my Cab.The truss rod and string height is correct, and saddles are back as far as they can without throwing the intonation out. Any suggestions without going to 12s? I'm using classic trusty Daddario 11s, no NYXL or anything special. Thanks in advance guys.

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

- Welcome to TDPRI - :)
    The strings are a personal feel / choice .
    I stayed with the stock strings on my MIM Cabronita . . . I guess I just thought that was how it was supposed to be ?

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

This!

So go ahead .. try the 12s and if you end up liking the bass but treble gets to hard on your finger, then find a set of top heavy 11s :)

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

D'Addario do several XL sets with light tops and heavy bottoms, or medium tops and heavy bottoms. In both cases the low E is a 52.

Maybe they would work for you?

5. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

My low E is currently a 52. I don't necessarily want 12s (just as a preference thing). It seems different string types within the same brand have different tensions, so I may look at that. Thanks guys for the advice, hope some more can weigh in as well.

6. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

Not 100% sure, but - if it really bothers you - maybe swap the bridge?

A lot of peeps on this forum swapped the stock bridge on the mim cabronita (mostly due to string misalignment) but I get the impression this stock bridge isn't of the highest quality. I would guess a higher quality bridge changes the feel/looseness for the better?

I have a hardtail strat and swapping the bridge (for a gotoh one). This made the guitar play and feel so much better.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

All my Fenders just have 10-46's. Works well for me. As others have said, it's up to you to figure out what works best.

8. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

I heard a lot about the MIM bridges too before I bought it a few months back. I guess I got lucky, mine doesn't seem to be off, as the Squier Cab I have seems to have a bridge that is mounted slightly crooked compared to the pickup. I probably should have given more info as well, (however there aren't many options :) ) The low E is the only one that bothers me, as it flops a bit too much in drop D, 11 gauge tension is great for the rest of them in standard.

9. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Oh .. I didn't realize it was just one string and that you played drop D.

Just buy a thicker e string then and replace. Simple as that. Just as I replace the light e string with an 11.5, when I put on a set of 11s Chromes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.