MIM 50's Esquire, is the stock p'up useable?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Xanderbeanz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

I found out through a slip-up (my bro always cracks under interrogation) that my mom, for Xmas, didn't buy me a tele copy so I could esquire it, she actually bought me an Esquire!

It's one of those MIM Blonde 50's style guitars and I was wondering, as money is gonna be tight this year and I've got synths to repair and all sorts to do in the house, will the stock bridge p'up do me ok for a year? Or is it terrible?

I generally play through guitar rig with a veritable sh*tstorm of effects on my sound at any one time (not a minimalist) and am proficient in EQuing if the pickup is overly bright or dark.

Any thoughts? Another thing, hum won't be too much trouble as I don't plan to go very high gain on this esquire, I have a another guitar with a humbucker in the bridge for all my really gnarly stuff.

I figure I'm gonna get it, learn some knopfler or Springsteen kinda stuff, nice rhythm stuff and use it as a form of meditation, been very ill this year and I need to do things to help me recover.

Anyhow, advice appreciated :)

Alex.

2. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

There's nothing wrong with any pickup on any Fender guitar. Where did you get the idea that Fender doesn't know how to do something as simple as wind pickups? Why would you even be thinking of replacing a pickup on a guitar you haven't even played?

I have the 50's classic Tele with the same stock bridge pickup, and I think it sounds great. It sounds like a Tele. I actually tried another pickup that many people on this site think is great, and put the original back in. I've been playing it for about 7 years.

3. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I have an MIM Classic 50s Esquire. The stock pickup is decent sounding for your typical Tele sound - just don't expect it to sound like the bridge pickup in a Broadcaster, Nocaster, '52 Tele, or a '50, '51, '52, or '53 Esquire. It just isn't wound enough to get that "shades of a mutant P90" sound that the early Tele-style pickups oftentimes have, due to being wound with 8-10 kilo-ohms of DC resistance. It also won't be as hot as those types of pickups are. If you don't have an issue with that, you're good to go. If you do, it's no big deal to replace the bridge pickup. I did that with mine (I put in a Don Mare Twangzilla - a VERY overwound Broadcaster-style pickup [11 kilo-ohms of DC resistance]), since I like a more aggressive, heavier rock sound.

4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have been playing my 50's Classic Tele with the same stock pickup all day and it sounds great.

5. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

You've got a wonderful mum! Enjoy the guitar, play it for a while, and if a pickup swap is needed there are plenty of reasonable options.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've had a stronger desire to swap the pickup on my 50's esquire than on any other.. only reson it hasn't been swapped yet is because I haven't decided what I want to replace it with. I guess that mean's I don't really hate just not loving it.

7. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Why the rush to change it before you've even played it? You might like it.

8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Here's another vote to keep it stock at least at first. If you are going to "upgrade" it in the future, it will be helpful if you can articulate what it's lacking and what you're looking for in the replacement.

9. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

Cheers for the advice guys :) I'm gonna keep it stock pickup wise, should sound fine for jamming on whilst I do a load of research and YouTube watching on what pickup type I'd like.

I am gonna do two other upgrades though, 1. Brass saddles :) and 2. I'm gonna get it sprayed a custom shade that looks a bit like a slightly more saturated slightly brighter version of surf green, maybe some aged hardware :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.