1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM ‘Steel’ saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ematt, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Ematt

Ematt TDPRI Member

Anyone know the exact material Fender uses for their Classic Series MIM ‘steel’ saddles? Tried to put a magnet to them, and no dice.
    The adjustment screw spacing is also slightly wider than the Vintage 58 steels...

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Well, i don't know the answer but u and I may be the only other people that have both. Soon as i saw your post i was immediately curious, as i thought both were steel, so i got them out of the parts drawer along with a bar magnet. You're right....i guess the classic 50s are zinc because they are not magnetic. The pure vintage 58's are, tho only slightly which makes me think they are some sort of alloy. Maybe steel and zinc, assuming thats possible? I can tell you this....i always liked something about the tone of the 58's. Not sure i can describe what it is, but theres also something i don't like too much about them and i always end up removing them after a time and putting brass back on.

3. Ematt

Ematt TDPRI Member

Yeah, the only reason I bought the 58s was that one of the height adjustment screws on the E/A saddle broke off flush, and I figured it would just be a straight swap. I didn’t mind the original saddles, but I do agree with your assessment of the 58s tone...it’s about 50/50 with me also.

4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hey. Just posted in another thread re. a similar question. I've got a 50s MIM classic series and was thinking of putting brass saddles on. Do you think it would make much difference and is there anything (ie. size etc) I should look out for? All advice welcome.

5. Ematt

Ematt TDPRI Member

The steel saddles on my MIM Esquire were 1/4” dia., and brass are usually 5/16”. It might have been just me, but the little extra seem to tighten up the feel slightly. As far as tone is concerned, it was more focused and strident. Not better or worse, just different...

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Fender compensated brass. About 20 bucks and they will improve the tone from slightly to big time depending on your ear for that kind of thing. Make it intonate better too. Used lots of saddles....keep coming back to the fenders because they sound uncolored and bigger more full than others.

7. peteycaster

Thanks for the info. Just ordered Gotoh "In Tune" brass saddles vintage style. Hope these are right?!

bsman likes this.
  8. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

They're different to the fender compensated saddles, but they're very good, I use them in my Tele.
    Instead of being slanted to correct the intonation, they're slotted, and each slot has a slightly different break point for the strings.

It might be slightly less 'traditional' I guess given that standard Tele brass saddles aren't slotted. I prefer them personally though, keeps the strings nicely in place, and the intonation is really good

bsman likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The MIM are some sort of stainless, which is why they're not magnetic. The string spacing should be identical. I've just swapped from brass to MIM stainless ona guitar I built. And I've took the MIM steel off my Thinline to change to threaded 62 AVRI saddles

10. peteycaster

All good info. Thanks to everyone.

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know, but they seem like the cheeziest I've encountered. On two different guitars I've given them the benefit of the doubt and then swapped them for something better. The Stew-Mac compensated brass saddles are a decent inexpensive improvement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.