1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Milli-Amps, How Close is Close Enough?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by howlin, May 15, 2013.

1. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I was just gifted a Korg Pandora PX4A. The problem I'm having is conflicting information regarding the mA of the power supply that's needed. Here it says 500mA but other sources state that it should be 300mA. So, my question is, does a coupla hundred mA really matter all that much? Thanks.

2. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

What does it say on the unit itself?

As a rule of thumb, you want your power supply to have a higher mA rating than your unit. If the unit says it draws 300 mA, then a 500 mA power supply will be fine.

3. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

It will not hurt to have more so get as much as you can.

4. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

The unit will only draw as much as milliamps as it needs. You can always have too much but not too little available.

5. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

The link you cited says that the power adapter puts out 500mA, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the unit draws that much (and probably doesn't). As others pointed out, delivering more current than the effect needs is not a problem, so if you've seen a lower number cited somewhere else, that certainly could be the case.

6. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

That was the problem. It only had a voltage rating and the symbol for the proper ground but - no mA rating.

7. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. Ya' learn something new everyday here on TDPRI. :)

8. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

You really want to power it with a generic wallwart ?
    It's 4.5V, not your standard PS, you might have to buy the official one.
    Batteries last forever, I haven't changed mine since last year while using it every now and then.

Fantastic little unit btw, I have gigged with it (bar gigs, into the PA).
    It's definitely better sounding than my Boss GT3 GT5 & GT6 as well as the early POD I had.
    Nowadays I use pedals + tube amp but it's still in my bag as backup while my Tech21 stays home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.