Military style Headless mini-Flying V

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
Here is the prototype of my new guitar.
stein-kai15.jpg

it WAS my Steinberger Spirit.
stein-kai16.jpg

I did this crazy mod on my guitar to confirm my new construction idea would actually work.
Recently I released M16 Harrier model from my brand but that guitar is very hard to make so I wanted to try different design which should greatly reduce the building steps.
Oh, I'm talking about the construction of the body, not about the body shape.

I think it went very well so I am going to make a production model next.
(actually it's almost done on my work table)

stein-kai4.jpg

The AR15 Carry handle, which I used for M16 Harrier, was too big for this little guitar so I put the classic M60 handle. I wonder if one of those video camera's carry handle would work on this...
stein-kai8.jpg

stein-kai10.jpg

stein-kai14.jpg

Katsumi
https://www.yajimastringworks.com

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
Hmm.. I'm not sure if I like the cheap Overlord of Music bridge, even the original Steinberger bridge which is on the first prototype. Unlike Strat, it uses only one but very strong spring and that gives a lot of stress to other parts of the bridge. I googled and found many people experienced issues with this style of bridge.

Okay let's forget about the tremolo, I decided to mount the bridge using four screws to use it as a hardtail. I need to modify the bridge cavity.

(i reliced it already..)
axel-bridge1.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Holy heck, oh my

I think this is a love it or hate it type deal....

On a side note, DON’T do this to an older stienberger, they are starting to get pricey

Is it a prototype if you just mod an existing guitar?

I guess it’s the first only one/unique but you could say that about hundreds of guitars on here

beninma

Friend of Leo's
It’s staggeringly cool really.

But it’s like the Jimmy Page dragon suit, you gotta be super cool to pull it off. Not for Dad rock!

If Ripley and the colonial marines played in a band with an Alien on drums somebody would play this. Decker from Bladerunner would probably play this too.

Last edited:

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
>Is this the Ted Nugent Signature Model?

I google for "Ted Nugent" and I see what you mean but I think he would want a bigger guitar. This one is standard 25.5" scale but the body feels very small.

>DON’T do this to an older stienberger, they are starting to get pricey

Oh of course I will never modify expensive guitars. The one I used for the prototype was Spirit from years ago. (I bought it and never played, so it was New-Old-Stock) I don't remember but I think it was around $500 or so.

I am working on the production model now. I put the wood blocks (red ones) to mount the hardtail-converted bridge.

axcel-cavity1.jpg

Why red? Just like the red brake calipers or Guthrie Govan's Charvel, the red color will be visible only a little bit. Cool?

red-pad.jpg

govan.jpg

axcel-cavity2.jpg

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
Got a camera carry handle to try different design.
My local hardware store didn't have the hanger bolts(?) so I'll use a regular machine screw. The screw goes deep into the wood so it should work just fine, I hope..

Cut the screw using dremel cutter. I think this is long enough.
axx3.jpg

Put a new drill hole at the side of the body and use jam nut method to insert the bolt.

axx4.jpg

Hmm..not bad, I like it. The only drawback is it is not foldable so it is always visible.

axx8.jpg

axx9.jpg

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
Completed. Here is the production version. I'll call it AXELLSIOR Mark-II.
Please visit my website for details.
https://www.yajimastringworks.com

axe-fb1.jpg

axc03.jpg

axc04ins.jpg

axc06.jpg

Railway authorities warn that "A cool selfie could cost you your life."

oh... SORRY!!

With the optional camera carry handle
axc12ins.jpg

Modified version. Notice it has a bigger upper horn wood plate. Modifications like this is very easy for DIYer. See instructions on my website.
axc20.jpg

axc28.jpg

A crazy mod example. Why dot sight? I know it doesn't make any sense but as long as it looks cool I can leave it on.

axcsight.jpg

Katsumi

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
I'll call this guitar AXELLSIOR Mark-II.
This guitar is easy to modify for DIYer.
Here is an another example of the upper horn mod.

Cut an 1/4" thick wood board like this

upper1ax.jpg

Print out this image.
upper2.jpg

The image will be placed under the wood board like this
upper3.jpg

upper4.jpg

Make a sticker
upper5.jpg

Red version
upper6.jpg

Green
upper7.jpg

Yellow
upper8.jpg

Place the sticker
upper9.jpg

Please visit my website for details.
https://www.yajimastringworks.com/YSW_SJ_Axcel.asp

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
An another custom mod example for DIYers. This time I made an arm rest. I might offer this as an optional part.

axarm1.jpg

I wanted to attach a soft pad on the rest but couldn't find a right one. I can't do sewing so I must find something easy to modify. I'll look for wrist rests for computer keyboard.

For now I use this wooden rest.
axarm3.jpg

I'm using double sided tape to attach the arm rest. Put the camera carry handle again.

axarm5.jpg

axarm6.jpg

axarm7.jpg

axarm8.jpg

axarm9.jpg

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
The two hex screws on the leg rest back panel are changed to the phillips head screws for maintainability.
axhlscrew.jpg

The hex screws looked cool but sometimes I have to give up the design over usability...