Miles Davis live in Tokyo 1981

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Feb 18, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

@1:14:00 the soprano player (Bill Evans) rocks coltrane hard, Mike Stern white strat no tele, true that ?, Marcus Miller Bass Lots of very advanced playing when comparing , then-now, very bleeding edge playing foretelling 30 years in advance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Man, heroin is bad news. Great band, though.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I think it was after the white strat was stolen that he switched to the Yamaha. If you look closely the strat has three tele brass saddles and a reverse bridge pickup. Oddly it his wife Leni that has the vintage guitar collection not Mike.

I saw Miles when he came through Toronto in 81 from what I recall Miles was good and the band was great.

Old Plank likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

three things you never hear anything good about
    1.) conscription/the draft
    2.) mandatory celibacy/abstinence
    3.) white powders

King Creole likes this.
  5. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  6. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Miles Davis understood when to play, and not,

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Old Plank likes this.
  7. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  8. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  9. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

The Jean-Pierre rendition is the actuall one that made it to the We Want Miles album.

Thanks for sharing this. There were very bad quality examples of this tour on youtube mainly form the Hammersmith, London, I already gave up on finding one that is at least watchable. But this one is near stellar.
    Cheers mate!

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  10. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

No, he had played teles after this one. Some sources say this strat was destroyed-damaged-lost by an airline.
    Quote from his wikipedia entry regarding equipment:

"
    An early and important guitar for Stern was a hybrid 1950s/1960s Fender Telecaster, previously owned by Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton, which was stolen from him in an armed robbery in Boston. This guitar is the basis for a custom-made guitar built by Boston-based luthier Michael Aronson.[11]

The Aronson guitar is in turn the basis for the Yamaha PA1511MS, the Mike Stern signature model.[11] The neck position pickup is a Seymour Duncan '59 and it has a Tele Hot Rail in the bridge."

Old Plank and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

you're so very welcome. Agartha period material, live from japan was initially released as a three record set ( we were listening to vinyl then ) I believe this period of Miles Bands contained some of the most progressive guitar around

Old Plank likes this.
  12. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Old Plank likes this.
  13. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  14. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  15. teleon

teleon Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank likes this.
  16. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I came late to the game, but that five albums (Man with the horn, Star People, We want Miles, Decoy, You are under arrest) shaped me as a guitarist the most, I think. Sco,Stern, Finnerty.
    Finnerty got very little chance with Miles, his clash of persona with Bill Evans led to him being replaced by Stern, but he still did good, and if you know what he did with the Brecker Bros. you know that he was not let go because of his lack of talent.
    While I became an avid Sco fan from his stint with Duke-Cobham band up to A go-go, never really dug Stern's solo work, apart from Time in place, but I think, what he did with Miles, is fantastic. Here in illiberal Hungary I know a few guys who can whistle his solo on Jean-Pierre, note by note, even if you wake them up in the middle of the night. And his tone, comping, timing are just about perfect in this band, this video is just a lovely proof to that. And while this is a tele forum, I have to say, I prefer Stern's sound on a strat.
    I guess Miles had the rear abbility to bring the most out of people, sometimes things they themselves weren't aware of bein in possesion.
    The only other musician who did this was Zappa.

17. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Agreed, Cosey and Lucas were the perfect fit for Miles' futuristic mission at this time. I like Stern and Sco later on too, but the Agharta period was just a wilder beast overall.

Thanks to all you Miles video posters, a really nice mix and it's been a great morning listening to them! In fact it's spurred me on to get going on the Newport tix, last year was phenomenal and with Miles content - Herbie was awesome including a cool 'Footprints' with McBride and Colaiuta; and Ron Carter, with Russell Malone ... two members of the 2nd quintet all in one day, life was good! Also to note, Teles had good presence wielded by Matthew Steven of In Common; and Peter Knudsen of Ghost-Note.

teleon and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

"I like Stern and Sco later on too, but the Agharta period was just a wilder beast overall."

yES i LIKE BOTH OF THEM ALOT I think their a little more apparently melodic.I read a quote byMile about him digging sco , but his hole tone scale was messing with him."
    Miles didn't make him stop.....:cool: So many amazing, of musician played in all his bands. at on int the furture of fusion were all sitting in at the same time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.