Miking advice?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Charlie Bernstein, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Basic EQ is not complicated. Set and forget. A small, graphic or parametric will pull down the boomy frequencies. Most integrated pickup systems provide this in the guitar with bass middle and treble controls or sliders. They are there for a reason.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I have that same K & K pickup, and the preamp/DI K & K recommends to go with it.

Before the soundman gets the signal, I turn down the mids and turn up the treble at the preamp.

You will probably just need to mess around with it some.

I would also try adjusting the EQ on the Bose Stick. your vocals probably don't need any bottom end to cut through. That could take the boomniess out of the guitar without affecting vocal sound.

Hope that helps.

Pastor Jay

3. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I'm wondering whether it's to do with the installation, and specifically the placement of the transducers. But if it is, I don't know enough to advise.

Miking is great if you know what you're doing, and it's a quiet environment where people don't talk during the song. In most modern gig environments a pickup is pretty much essential. The background noise in most venues is just a lot louder nowadays.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

They're fine. Tommy Emmanuel, in an interview with the Captain , Lee Anderton , advises that you put the mic at the outer edge of the speaker, preferably at the bottom, and the amp on the floor ( use some carpet if stage or floor is wooden.]

I'm not arguing with someone as knowledgeable as him.

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! Again, the question isn't about what to buy. It's about whether to try miking. And you all agree that I shouldn't.

But as I also said above, if I can't get a good sound next pub gig, I might bite the bullet and get a third Fish and Chips.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  6. Charlie Bernstein

Good to know. Maybe I'll use it when I'm playing electric. Thanks!

7. Charlie Bernstein

Yep! Like I said above, based on the EQ pedal suggestions I've gotten here, I might get a fourth Fish and Chips for my acoustic board to EQ the Guild. The three on the other instruments are working pretty well.

Thanks!

(Means I'll have to cut a bigger piece of board though. Oh, well. On we go!)

8. Charlie Bernstein

For people who have just arrived at this thread and don't want to read all the posts:

- Most folks above agree that miking isn't the answer.
    - A few said (I think rightly) that more attention to the PA's EQ might help.
    - I'm not going to buy another preamp - I like the one I have.
    - Putting an EQ pedal in front of the guitar would probably be a good move.

Stubee likes this.
  9. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Never used that pup - Could batteries that need changing be a contributor?

+1 on the PA low end.

10. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not a fan of K&K and have used Fishman in all my acoustics. That said, be sure to use a sound hole plug and a good preamp with adequate frequency control. I've used PZ Pre and it's great but using a Grace Design Alex now which has a low cut controllable filter. Not sure what your "boomyness' sounds like but a well placed hyercardiod mic( or condenser) can sound great placed just behind the sound hole or slightly in front depending on the sound you want. If you don't want to use a mic then a different preamp may be your only solution
    I have used a Boss EQ in the past and they work well too. Unless you have a rack EQ with your board, the low EQ will not be enough to do what you want

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

high pass filter on the PA

12. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

You’re gonna want a comfortable stool, a galvanized pail, and warm hands. Now with a firm gr…oops. Never mind.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Good thoughts. Thanks!

It's a passive pickup.

I usually make sure the PA owner is using the pad, but I didn't ask the other night. He usually does.

14. Charlie Bernstein

I'll try using my soundhole plug. Good thought. Thanks!

Re a new preamp, see the third point on post #28. Re equal pedals, see post #27.

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

here are a couple of expensive solutions to your problem: a DPA d:vote condenser mic, clamps onto your guitar, sounds great. Drawbacks are one more eentsy weentsy little cord to step on & it requires phantom power. I suspect this would work best with a wireless system for convenience. Either that or a Neumann KM-184, hypercardiod, if you can stay pretty still it'll reject other stage sound. Also requires phantom power.

I've had decent luck with the K&K straight into a Yamaha mixer, EQ on the board & dial in some compression with the one-knob compressor on the channel. This seems to get rid of some of the artificial quality of the pickup to my ears. Haven't yet heard a pickup that will sound anywhere near as good as the mics I listed but I use one anyway because its easier. I do use the DPA on National steel guitar though -- no pickup sounds quite right on one of these, and I'm not going to hack up a 1937 Duolian to put a pickup in it.

16. Charlie Bernstein

There's are compression knobs on mixers? THAT's interesting. Thanks!

17. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

As the other half of one of Charlie's pub duos, I can tell you that the venue is part of the problem. My PA speakers (JBL EON 610s) are close to the back wall (which is mostly glass), although about four feet off the ground, and the room is a long wooden interior -- we're at the end, by the bar. My acoustic, whether the Martin D17M or the Gibson SJ, also is boomy with their K&K PWM and RedEye. My mixer is an Allen & Heath ZED 16 FX (no onboard compression), and I haven't yet been able to notch out the offending frequencies with the sweepable mid on each channel. I did use a dbx 231 stereo 31-band EQ with the prior mixer (a PV 14), power amp (QSC XLS 1500) and passive JBL EON 10s to adjust mains and monitors to roll off lows and low mids, and I may have to use the dbx in between the mixer and the powered speakers in this rig as well. There's something about putting PA and guitar amps right in front of a wall that has a hard reflective surface (concrete block or glass) that seems to make the entire mix sound boomy.

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

That was my first thought. If you had a good setup with one PA on eday where the high-pass/low-cut filter was engaged (meant to cut rumbling noise on handheld mics and I wish more people would engage that little button), then switched to someplace where it wasn't, it might introduce more bass than you're used to. My uninformed opinion is that the 100Hz cutoff is not that precise and enough of your 80Hz low E string gets through just fine. I'd probably err on the side of engaging the filter for everything except maybe a piano. If that's not a good rule of thumb then please educate me.

Actually my first thought was, "Does your guitar pickup/preamp have a phase switch?" Sometimes the woofiness is the very first hint of feedback and it goes away when you hit that switch. I cannot recall the measurement but as you move a few feet closer or away from the monitors or the house speakers the phase changes because the wavelengths are that long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.