Mike Rutherford prefers…Bullet strats?

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I appreciate the sentiment, but that's no longer a Bullet Strat he's playing: all new Gotoh hardware, CTS pots, Switchcraft components, new nut, new bridge pickup, reworked frets. And let me say that I'm no guitar snob - I have a couple of Squiers that I do really like, but mine are stock.

BobWithOneO

TDPRI Member
I appreciate the sentiment, but that's no longer a Bullet Strat he's playing: all new Gotoh hardware, CTS pots, Switchcraft components, new nut, new bridge pickup, reworked frets. And let me say that I'm no guitar snob - I have a couple of Squiers that I do really like, but mine are stock.
It's a joke. After you buy the $200 guitar and put $300+ worth of parts and labor into it, it plays like a $450 classic vibe with worse pickups. Could have just bought a used Mexican or even an American. I got my Mexican Deluxe Strat for $250 and my American Deluxe V-neck Strat for $600.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Yep. With pro fretwork.. no doubt it’s an awesome guitar.

I have a bullet with stock pickups, I replaced the neck with MIM.. it’s my favorite Strat. Stock pickups, electronics and all.

it’s light and comfortable to play.

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
He is not really a guitar player strumming a few chords or that 1 note rhythm thing he does (follow you follow me) is hardly worth breaking the bank over
great bass player though some of the bass lines in the early stuff is epic

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Great mod platforms for sure.

I'm thinking about getting one as a donor for a Cabronita project.
Yes. In the last decade or so, they have been making the neck pockets and almost every other measurement to fender specs (excluding body thickness). So fender necks and parts will fit almost perfectly. I’ve used classic vibes and bullets for quite a few projects that you’d never tell weren’t MIA or MIM by looking.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
My pal bought one in lockdown to start playing again and asked me to set it up. I was gobsmacked how good it was. It has a satin neck finish which is easy, the pickups were pretty good and it was already well set up. I just changed the strings cut the nut lower and tweaked the truss rod. And it was good. The pots need swapping out on the assumption they would be actually used and the tuners weren’t great but they kept in tune Ok.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I've had 'beater' guitars and 'nice' guitars. The beaters have always become my favorites because I leave them laying around and play them the most. Now, all my guitars are heavily modified 'beater' guitars, even the ones that used to be the 'nice' ones.

Last edited:

f69tele

Tele-Holic
LOL. I bought a Squier Butterscotch Blonde Tele some years ago. First thing was to drill the body and put a string-thru ashtray 3-saddle bridge on it. Then I upgraded the wiring, jack and pots. Then I put a set of Fralin pickups in it. Then a 5-hole 50's style pickguard. Then I hated the neck so I put a Fender neck on it. So now all that is original is the body and the neck plate. I guess what I really have is a "Mike Rutherford" Tele. Ha!!