Mike Rutherford and the Bullet

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TG, Oct 14, 2021.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

2. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This goes hand in hand with the earlier thread about does it matter what name is on the headstock.

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Me, too. I have a few 'upper crust' guitars and they are great. However, I have a Bullet Tele that I had Rob DiStefano work his magic on including a set of his own pickups amd new wiring. That guitar can hold its own against any of my other Teles both in sound and playability. I had Rob remove the headstock decal since it isn't really a Squier anymore. I could buy a dozen guitars like it for the price of one boutique guitar. I wouldn't be afraid to use it anywhere/ anytime either.

4. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any name or logo on my headstock. It is a headless guitar so... :twisted: but reading on, he did quite some mods to them anyway. Changed out tuners, bridges saddles, and Fender Noiseless pickups. Not the slightest "stock"in any way. IMHO. That adds to the cost. The most cutting corners any manufacturer can do with any guitar is to skimp on hardware detalis. New tuners, that are made of more stable guitars, bridge saddles and especially Fender Noiseless pickups are yet another 200 USD, if that is enough even...

I bought one Squier when they first came around in 1983 too, changed out to locking tuners, changed out pickups, and had the neck "oiled and waxed" instead of keeping the tacky plastic finish on there, but I kept the tremolo arm and bridge, changed out to graphite saddles and nut. But it stayed with me. So long that it had to go through 2 complete refrets, due to wearing down so much that there was nothing left. Was my mainstay and to go guitar for ages. I finally fed up with SC humming at some places, and some places not, and changed out all the pickups to active EMG, and went into full "Gilmour" mode, and never looked back. No hum whatever place we turned up and played in. Fluorescent lights above my head. They picked up nothing of that. But all those mods surely cost more than the guitar itself over time. I think, double..the thing is, it stayed in tune when dive bombing, and the whammy arm I changed out once. But eventually this one had to go in 2009, it was worn down again. Sold it to someone who loved fretless wonders..

Didnt' regret that I sold it though. No a bit.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  5. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

Given how much he's changed of it, then can we even class this as a Squier Bullet Strat? I mean I get that he's got the Squier name on the headstock, but it's hardly "stock" is it..... Kinda moot point really I guess

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

He will easily be able to afford a refret.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The intrusive ads on Guitar World's site are very annoying on mobile devices. I miss having a great ad blocker when I'm not on my PCs.

But, the article does show what a little guitar tech work can do in improving inexpensive guitars. His tech addressed the main weak points on these guitars, the nut and the trapezoid tuners. He could have even gone with less expensive tuners that didn't require increasing the size of the holes.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Definitely not stock, but yes, there are gems to be had out there for cheap.

For about a year or two my main guitar was a $99 used Affinity Strat. I sold my more expensive stuff and bought a nice amp. It was a truly good guitar.

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I think you people are missing the point.
    He picked it up on a whim for a beater during lockdown and liked it enough to make it one of his main guitars...that would've been before there were any mods. Of course you'd 'improve' some parts of a Bullet if you're going to gig it at all (nevermind giggjng with Genesis...). We'd all do that.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Bullet Strat that can do it all without question, but it's far from stock.
    upload_2021-10-15_16-23-24.jpeg

davidchagrin likes this.
  11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Jack Pearson has been gigging with Squire Affinity Strats for years and he always sounds great, a lot of it is the player, but as I was mentioning to someone yesterday, I think the basic Tele and Strat design is so good that even very cheap copies (or Squiers) can be good guitars.

I've had a couple cheap Yamaha Pacificas ( Tele copies) that were great players and sounded good too - stock!

Gimble and FortyEight like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why not just buy a $700ish guitar that works as is, rather than a $200 guitar that gets maybe $500+ of new parts and labor? I guess I don't get that.

northernguitar and Cyberi4n like this.
  13. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

Just seems like an endorsement deal, doesn't it? Pretty low budget but their audience is pretty small these days. Any buck will do.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    northernguitar likes this.
  14. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

Nowadays the $700 guitars even need lots of upgrades. And it's only going to get worse in the short term with all the shortages. MIM Teles were $600 a couple years ago and now they're over $800 most places - and they still have meh pickups and substandard electronics. So if money's the object, you might as well start with something truly CHEAP and go from there. However, I find the best balance is to start with a sub-$1000 instrument (most likely an import, unless it's a beater US product) and swap out the parts that make a difference (i.e., pickups, pots, switch, jack, nut, maybe saddles and tuners). For $300 or so you can make a mediocre instrument into a swell player that won't let you down and has your unique custom stink on it. That's what lots of us do here, and that's because it works well. There are tons of aftermarket parts and most of it isn't rocket surgery.

FortyEight likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

According to the story, it was the only Strat-ish guitar he could get on short notice when he got stranded in South Africa because of something or other that happened about 18 months or so ago. It turned out he really liked the feel of the neck and had his tech make some mods to the guitar.

In any case, one doesn't have to spend $500+ on mods, especially if it's a DIY mod. Good parts, even pickups, aren't all that expensive if you know where to look.

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

Is that tele pickup backwards ?

Zepfan likes this.
  17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Good for him. I still don't want one, nor am I hot to acquire any of the innumerable other inexpensive guitars that play just fine. Through his signal chain and sound system, any decent guitar works.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Did it say that he did $500 worth of mods? I thought they changed tuners and the nut? and that can need to be done on much more expensive guitars than a Squier too.

I've mentioned several times here on the TDPRI about Jack Pearson gigging with Squier Strats, and all he has had done was a set up and maybe new pots.

There is a video on YT about the quality of the Squier Strats that is interesting

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Gimble and FortyEight like this.
  19. Zepfan

It fits better in the cavity that way and the other way would require removal of some material near the tremolo mount.

20. Zepfan

My Squier had been purchased used for $80 and then I put $280 into it for a total of $360.
    A new Fender would be $500 for a MIM or $700+ for regular Fender and it still wouldn't have the pickups I want.

Tele-friend, FortyEight and preactor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.