Mike Love and the coolest looping ever!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by artdecade, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I couldnt believe that part either but that is exactly what he is doing
    Just amazing.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

It's incredible. And my guess is, he had two (I think two) of those vocal loops already recorded--I don't hear him performing them before they come on.

3. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I noticed that too, but I come from a behind the beat (D'angelo camp) background.
    I'm surprised I have never heard of this guy, he is very talented. I love reggae and have played it for most my life. Mike is really creative and this type of playing seems very challenging. I appreciate the technology and mastery of it, but even with a percussion player you can never carry that type of foundation like the Carlton & Family Man Barrett.
    Bass and drums would make this much more enjoyable IMO. He's a real good singer and has good range.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Those guys would fit right in at Byron Bay NSW.:cool:

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yup - that's what he is doing!

6. Dr Anatta

Dr Anatta Tele-Meister

Thanks. I really wondered if I was hearing that correctly or not. That's some of the coolest looping I've personally ever witnessed, but I can't speak to how he'd translate to the Reggae world, knowing NOTHING about it. But I'd expect his being right on top of the beat would get some reactions.

7. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After he constructed the vocal line - was he then controlling the pitch with his guitar? Sounded like it was acting like a voice box/midi controller - - mind blown.
    BTW - his nails look like super heavy pick thickness.

8. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

his talent is solid . his cultural imperialism is, equally staggering.
    If I was to adapt patterns of speaking, dress hair style , music,
    from another culture and present the acquisition cultural components as my own though they are not, I would be practicing cultural imperialism. for example I am from the pacific coast area , inland in the central valley the men's cultural style is inclusive of cowboy hats, belt boots and other western style clothing, country western music sung with regional accents from Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana as well as spoken. this is not my cultural heritage. If I were to affect these aspects of central valley culture as my own, I would be committing Cultural Imperialism as well as being a complete phoney.
    Buck Owens is an example of someone being authentic regarding his culture way of being

9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

same here, and i m not that old.

10. artdecade

First off - its not cultural imperialism. I think what you mean is cultural appropriation. Secondly, you don't know anything about Mike such as how he was reared or what culture he was raised in. Slip down from your high horse and let the man create the music and life that makes him happy.

chemobrainkid likes this.
  11. Mahalo

Mahalo Former Member

Quite a nice kitchen.

artdecade likes this.
  12. chemobrainkid

You seem to take umbrage at my pointing out the obvious, well.... as my writing regarding his "appropriation" if you please....does not denigrate his music he is very very talented and in no way does my opinion of his appropriation in any way hinder his freedom his musical creativity, it is merely an observation of his contexting of his appearance and contexting of his art.
    Some people view the appropriation as as a type of Al Jolson move (appearing in black face and singing mammy. )

The term "Pasta-farian"is used to describe people who adapt rastafari as fashion /style with out substance i.e.
    " pimpin' rastafari "
    Many elements of Rastafari reflect its origins in Jamaica along with Ethiopian culture. Ethiopian Christianity traces its roots to the Church of Alexandria, founded by St Mark, and its 5th-century continuation in the Coptic Church of Alexandria.[3][4] Rastafari holds many Christian beliefs like the existence of a triune God ("Jah"), who had sent hisdivine incarnate son to Earth in the form of Jesus (Yeshua) and madehimself manifest as the divine person of Haile Selassie I. Rastafari accept much of the Bible, although they believe that its message and interpretation have been corrupted.[5]

The Rastafari way of life encompasses the spiritual use of cannabis[6][7] and the rejection of the degenerate society of materialism, oppression, and sensual pleasures, called Babylon.[8][9] It proclaims Zion, in reference to Ethiopia, as the original birthplace of humankind, and from the beginning of the way of life calls forrepatriation to Zion, the Promised Land and Heaven on Earth.
    You are free to caste aspersions regarding my character , my person, in the form of personal attack, for which I bare you no ill will for considering how a performer presents himself publicly, as is your right to do, If my observation is considered shallow or off putting I welcome your feed back.
    Though we do have opinions that differ I would encourage our continuing a relationship that includes personal respect
    Hearing a london born and upper middle class english man attempting to sing in the style (with a faux accent) of Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Slim Harpo, or Robert Johnson results in my having a similar response.
    Thank you for this opportunity to engage in a civil discussion regarding stylization of material and a persona to project the material.

13. Dr Anatta

Dr Anatta Tele-Meister

Actually, Pastafarian was the term used by believers in the Great Spaghetti Monster to describe themselves. I first heard that term from a self described believer in the late 1990's, so I'm confident it precedes this. It's hard to take your erudition seriously when you use words like 'contexting.' Last time I checked, that would have been contextualizing.

Sorry to nit-pick but sometime details tell us a lot.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I believe it all started at 4:20 with these 2...;):lol:

Bikersluggo likes this.
  15. chemobrainkid

16. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Totally Amazing!!

17. artdecade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

18. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Closing this trainwreck - the "Treat everyone here with respect" quote was perfect - some others here not so much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.