Mike Campbell is back!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jan 13, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That makes me happy!

Greggorios likes this.
  2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I might actually buy the album. Mike isn't the flashiest player out there, but nobody plays to the song better than he. If I was a talented singer/songwriter putting a band together, he'd be at the top of my list of guitarists.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I now question everybody’s judgment here.

Tom Petty is a vastly superior singer to Mike Campbell.

I love Mike Campbell. Everything about the guy.

But, he does not at all have a frontman’s voice.

If he wants to sing , especially at this stage of the game, fine .

He knows though that this is something to keep him busy. They could go out and open for people or play small theaters and clubs but that’s it.

But - he can write/co-write a tune. He’s proved that much in the past.

Might have a couple more in him.

RodeoTex and beyer160 like this.
  4. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Did I miss something (which granted, I have done multiple times just today)? Did someone claim that Mike has a better voice than Tom did?

I do think he sounded fine (mostly) on this track. He's no Tom Petty, but he did fine.

gregulator450 and Mad Kiwi like this.
  5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The jury is still out on that one. And, now that Petty is gone, he has to prove it. So far, not so good.

6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Wow, the internet!

Is it YOUR jury still out on this or "THE" Jury...?

I am a medium level TP & The Heartbreakers fan and KNOW he co wrote a lot of the tunes. Don Henley, Boys of Summer WAS written by him (the music/ tune) for one very clear and classic example of his song writing....

gregulator450 and davenumber2 like this.
  7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sounds to me like Tom never left!

gregulator450 likes this.
  8. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

again though, co-writing a song (jangling out a riff) isn't the same thing as creating a sung melody... and of course, then figuring out what you want to say with the lyrics, and how to phrase those in a way that they get along with the melody.

this song that started this thread has an overall 'ok' sound.. definitely has a petty vibe to it. but the vocal phrase for the chorus is not very good. its downright awkward actually. the verse lyrics and melody are uninteresting as presented.

i wish the best for him, and i do truly hope this isn't the highlight of the record. i'd like the hear the rest of the tunes in hopes of finding something more engaging.

9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm not sure that everyone will agree with this assessment of the song. I do agree that co-writing and writing by oneself are very different things. Ask McCartney and... well, you get the idea.

I kind of could see this song as a potential jam tune. Make it into a 20 minute "everybody gets their shot" routine... yeah, that's the ticket... :)

10. popthree

oh, i'm sure they won't as i have read all the ooh's and ah's right here in this thread. all i can do is chalk it up to, there are a lot more guitar players here than there are songwriters.

heck, maybe his band will be a big hit. i hope so. its near equal to a lot of what's being played on popular FM stations. its just not up the standard of a tom petty song. not even close really.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

fun thread! When I was a kid, my dad died. About 2 years after he passed, my mom came home and said that someone from work had asked her out for a drink and she wanted to know what I thought about that. I thought for maybe a second and said, 'Mom, that is great! You gotta get back out there!' and so she went on the date. I don't know if it was a perfect date or if everything was the 'same' as when she was with my dad, but, she wasn't just 'home' and 'alone with her thoughts' and she was back among people and doing and living. I know Mike has been playing with old friends (FM and Henley) and writing, and I know this band is kind of his foray into a mix of mudcrutch and his life's work... so, I was just glad to see him recording and 'back out there' so to speak...

If we're lucky, we'll be in love a couple of times or so in our lives... it is never quite the same in any instance... and if we're lucky we'll have jobs we love... the dynamic at each of those gigs won't be the same... but it can be pretty cool lots of ways...

My mom eventually remarried and her husband, my stepdad, was VERY different from my father... but it was a really great experience... just different. Maybe Mike will have that... if we want his new band to be the same as his old band, we'll probably be sad and disappointed... if we just kind of listen to it and see if we like it, great!

Matt G, mrbdxmpl, blueruins and 6 others like this.
  12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

A bit like a lot of the Mojo album for me...

13. gregulator450

100% agree.

just because I am a Petty/Campbell head, I have to clarify that The Dirty Knobs have been a thing for over ten years. This is simply the first chance they've had to do an album.

Matt G and getbent like this.
  14. gregulator450

I, too, am still mourning the loss of Tom. Don't know that I'll ever get over it. My kiddos are fans and they never got to go to a show. One of my few regrets.

15. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I didn't expect to lose Tom Petty when we did -- what a loss..

ALSO:
    Nothing against JW here either, but -- YES.

getbent likes this.
  16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not the internet... I am a person. All we know of Mike's writing input is as a co-writer on Tom Petty's albums. There is nothing on the Dirty Knobs tracks that show Mike is a songwriter of that class. In fact, there is so little Dirty Knobs output that a determination cannot be made fairly. Therefore until Mike proves otherwise, the jury is out. Of course, that is my opinion, but apparently you think I speak for the entire internet.

17. popthree

i think this is a good analogy.

i'd probably appreciate it more if it weren't so close in vein to the heartbreakers. if the only distinction between his current project and the old one is that the new stuff isn't as catchy or well sung, then i won't be consuming much of it. its not going to make or break his career either way at this point though, so whatever.

Owenmoney likes this.
  18. getbent

Mike also wrote with Don Henley 'The Boys of Summer' Stevie Nicks on the Belladonna record and LOTS of others...

I don't think he is doing the dirty knobs to compete with his time with Tom or Mudcrutch... he is just doing what musicians do.... make music... not all of it will be what we like.

19. popthree

i say, keep JW and remove Edge :)

TokyoPortrait and Mad Kiwi like this.
  20. getbent

what is the old saying 'no one who ever made history worried about how history would view what they did.'

he is singing and playing guitar and making music... to him, he isn't worried about ben fong torres' article in 2045 where he says 'oh, this was a down period for mike'... I think when the rolling stones cut 'black and blue' it was just what they were doing at the time and harvey mandel was thinking "I'm in the band" not.. ohhh what a mistake...

when you are 'in' a thing.. it is just that thing... it isnt contextualized the way someone outside would see it... maybe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.