1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mike Campbell Broadcaster Tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WilburBufferson, Mar 8, 2018.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I am late to the Mike Campbell party, but I watched this video last night on his guitars. He seems like a real cool dude who deserves all of the nice guitars he has collected over the years. Wow, what a collection. And the tone of that Broadcaster! For those who haven't seen this video, they play MC playing the Broadcaster at the beginning of each segment. Sounds rich!!

Aside from buying the Fender Custom Shop Replica, does anyone know to achieve the sound of his Broadcaster? I guess I am asking about pickup options since I am not going to build a guitar.

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Custom Shop Broadcaster pickups or Custom Shop Blackguard pickups if they're still out there.

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

The green gunk on the Tele fret board is so gross I had to fast forward that part. The OCD can't handle that.

Other than that the Documentary was awesome!

Shango66 likes this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Great player and I saw that film recently as well. I knew it was out there but it was on the Tom Petty fan site as a members only thing.

A lot of it is in his hands like anything else. The 51 Nocaster CS pickups will get you close as will the others that have been mentioned.

5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I'd get either a Cavalier Nocaster or Fat Lion bridge, and a Lion King neck.

KCJonez and Bruxist like this.
  6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I've got the Custom Shop Blackguards and they will definitely do it.

7. WilburBufferson

So.. I've already got/tried the DiMarzio Twang Kings (like them). Currently, I've got the Fender Broadcaster (B), Twisted Tele (N) installed. If the Broadcasters are close, should I just be looking at a different neck pickup then?

I've looked for the Blackguard set and they are not to be found.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    LAGinz likes this.
  8. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups are awesome! They really nail that early twang!

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here is the Premier Guitar Rig Rundown on MC. Smaller selection, since it is touring gear, but a great watch.

And the Cavalier Nocaster listed above? Check it:

gobi_grey likes this.
  10. WilburBufferson

Thanks for those vids. I was looking at the Cavalier offerings, but this helps narrow things down a bit.

Bruxist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.