1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mike Bloomfield

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 63 vibroverb, Oct 26, 2015.

1. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Golden Butter-it did it for me when I was 15.......when you listen to it, be conscious of the time and place-what a great band!

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Just remember that half of Super Session is Mike playing and the other is Stills. They didn't play together. It's pretty obvious who is who.

I used to see Mike from the Electric Flag days on up to his demise around the Bay Area, usually with his MB and Friends band. An amazing guitarist, among my favorites.

He had a huge influence on the local SF guitarists when he first came to town with Paul Butterfield. Everyone went home and woodshedded a lot after that. The first time I heard Santana on the radio, I thought it was Bloomfield with a Latin band. There's an influence there on Carlos.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Both Butterfield records that Michael played on are essential. Also, a pretty good "Best of..." sort of record came out a few years ago called "Don't Say That I Ain't Your Man : Essential Blues, 1964-1969" (Sony). Get those three and you pretty much have it wrapped up, IMO. But, I'm not a big Electric Flag or Super Session fan, so you may want those, as well. Spotify is your friend.

On a final note, I think Bloomfield was far better than Clapton (even though Bloomfield himself attested to the opposite).

Bottom line, you have some seriously enjoyable listening and new discoveries ahead of you. Enjoy.

Scott

4. E5RSY

One of the things he is known for is chromaticism in his playing. I'm a fan of it, myself, but I can see how it could sound kind of "off" if one is used to a slower, more legato style of playing. As for the "nervous energy" aspect, I don't think anyone has accused him of being a laid-back player. :D

Scott

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had it, and liked it, in the day.
    I bought it for Steve Stills' contribution, so Bloomfield was a pleasant surprise.
    Bloomfield is a great argument for the "tone is in the hands" philosophy.
    He played his 59 Paul on this, through BF Twin(s), but his tone is similar to recordings that he used a Tele or a P90 equipped gold top.

6. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I'd have to hear more examples of "chromaticism" to know what it is, but if it's referring to his note choices, I don't have a problem with that. I'm talking more about the rhythm/pocket/flow aspect of his playing.

I got the first Butterfield Band CD today. I dig the more straightforward blues stuff on here compared to the blues stuff on their second album. Bloomfield's playing seems more on point. However, I like the exploration and musicality of "Work Song" and "East West" on the second album.

Thanks guys. Keep it coming if you have anything to say.

7. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

ya, that first butterfield record is essential in any blues collection.
    there's also a good biography on the u-toob.
    somewhere there's a disc with three versions of the East-West track, showing its development.

8. E5RSY

Say, instead of playing F to G in a solo, you play F - F# - G instead. And since both runs would occur in the same amount of time during the song, the note values (especially the first two) are necessarily shorter in the latter 3-note scenario, giving it that rushed feel you described.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  9. 63 vibroverb

The bass and drums do a really good job of holding everything together during "East West". Love the constant crescendo in the first half.

Oh ok, so you're talking about the in-between notes to connect the "correct" notes? That doesn't necessarily make it feel rushed I don't think. It's more of a thing where he's often way ahead of the beat or a situation where one note would have sufficed instead of 5.

I'm not really criticizing his style, just more of an observation/analysis.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a disc called "Muddy & The Wolf," which is Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf playing their songs with other musicians. Micheal plays the leads on the Muddy tracks, which is something I actually just found out yesterday!
    Give that version of "You Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had" a go. You're guaranteed to dig it. I just wish he hadn't played a Les Paul, because now for the first ever I'm interested in getting one, and a new guitar purchase isn't in the cards right now...

11. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

For Mike Bloomfield playing with Muddy Waters, try to find the "Father and sons" record. Muddy being the "father" of course! And MB and Paul Butterfield the sons... Nice family !
    Check out "Blues summit in Chicago", a video with Muddy Waters, Mike Bloomfield, Johnny Winter, Doctor John, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor,...
    Aside from listening to MB's records you might be interested in Don Mock 4 guitar lessons around Mike Bloomfield:
    http://www.mikebloomfieldamericanmusic.com/mblessons.htm

12. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Just a note on Super Session - it was originally a vinyl LP (of course), and one side had Steve Stills on guitar while the other had Bloomfield. There's probably a whole lot of copies around with a worn out Bloomfield side and a fairly pristine Stills one. Just kidding, but the two sides are like night and day. As I recall, most of the Stills cuts have Al singing, but the Bloomfield side is all instrumental.

13. 63 vibroverb

Awesome, thanks guys!

14. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

"Super Session" with Al Kooper.

15. rdonahue

rdonahue Tele-Meister

I'm a big Bloomfield fan. All the above recommendations are great. My favorite recordings of his are the Nick Gravenites shows at the Fillmore. They are on My Labors as well as Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West. The tone and phrasing he has on the below cuts are killer.

16. Sakie8015

Sakie8015 TDPRI Member

Another vote for Paul Butterfield Blues band...

17. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I first became aware of Bloomfield on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album. Been a fan ever since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.