1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by flag72, Aug 22, 2019.

1. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

is buying a MIJ telecaster worth it . Im replacing stolen goods and im considering a MIJ tele . I play country will it have the twang im looking for .

2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for all MIJs, but my 2009 '62 Custom Reissue MIJ is one of, if not -the- best made, guitar I own. And I have many good guitars.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have owned at least a half dozen MIJ Fenders or Fender Squiers,(guitars and basses) and played many more, and I've NEVER come across one that wasn't as good as any MIA I've seen. I was once in a similar situation (insurance replacing stolen guitars) and I replaced a MIA Stratocaster with a MIJ.....after playing a bunch of both. I almost wish they'd take the place of origin off the guitar, and we just judged based on quality.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

The MIJs are great, we got one and it's amazing. Like everything else I suppose you can find good ones and bad ones, but we have a MIJ tele and a MIJ Jackson, both amazing.

5. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

MIJ & CIJ Teles are a great value.

6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you buy used, be aware that many 90s models have cheaper electronics than modern MiMs and my 96 Jag-Stang’s basswood body was super soft. My 97 Thinline had globs of finish left on the f hole and there was glue residue all over the Jag-Stang neck. I find the MiM’s better overall than the MiJs from that era, and the used MiJs go for as much as a new MiM! But I think the early 80s ones are very well regarded and the more recent ones may well be better in spec and QC.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Very good.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes . ^^^^All of this is spot-on.

9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

early 80's ones are crazy good, 90's ones have a quality feel, but I can never be sure of the material of the body, whether basswood, or real alder or etc etc...

this I can say with confidence.. Ive been chasing an AVRI62 for years and years.. Ive played quite a bunch of MIJ TL62, and the quality has always been there.. electronics no, you need to upgrade to better ones, or at least get some parts from US made Fenders from Stratosphere or something.. When I finally got an AVRI62, I can say that the MIJ is not that far off in terms of quality and build.. its pretty close.. but somehow the AVRI has a charm of a US made instrument and the neck on the one that I own is the best yet.. its thinner than Id like, but its great.. MIJ necks have been really comfy, varying degress of thickness too, but comfortable..

10. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I just sold a CIJ '62 to an artist pro band member and he has been using it on stage
    and whatever else. He also has another one for backup. The one I sold had factory
    Texas Special pickups and those remain in use far as I know.
    There is another players years back same scenario but I forget the name of the artist
    he was with. This guy bought a friend's CIJ '62 RI. Think it was in 2006.

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I don’t have enough experience to talk about the reasonably wide range of CIJ/MIJ Fenders from previous periods, but based on the current model Tele I own and from what I see in shops, if I were to buy a new Fender type guitar today, it almost certainly would be another MIJ.

Of course, I live in Japan and can see a wider range of models than I believe others outside of Japan get easy access to, and there may even be export tagged ones I don’t get to see.

But yeah, like many others, I reckon they’re really good.

Pax/
    Dean

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Can't speak about MIJ Teles but a lawsuit Profile Stratocaster I played and recorded with in the early 80s was the best guitar I've. Had a Tele and , Profile, put in original 62 Pickups and that was awesome. MIJ gear is great from that era. had an Ibanez artist too- also great. I'd go with a MIJ guitar for sure.

14. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Love the Texas Specials in my CIJ Custom. At first I thought the bridge was waaay too bright - probably a combination of the bridge, guitar and pickup - but having played it for a while, other Telecasters sound a bit dull by comparison. You mileage may vary.

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I guess, as mentioned above, some are REALY REALY good and others are just average. They are not all equal, just like not all USA,s MIM's etc are not equal.

I also own a 1986 MIJ / TL62 , 62 RI, literally one of the best guitars I have ever owned and play . I have owned several MIJ guitars, some were pretty darn good others were just so so.

Its pretty hard to answer if they are all good or not, the ones I owned ( mostly 80's guitars) were all well made and fine quality, but some just played better than others. But that can also be due to personal preference.

16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Ultimately it depends, but yes. MIJ Fenders are fantastic! I have an MIJ strat that I adore.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have a CIJ Paisley Telecaster that I really like. Like all my guitars, I tweak them for my own specs. I swapped out all the electronics and pickups so it sounds as good as anything else I have. The only think different I may do is to refret with some slightly larger frets, but I won't do that until I have to. Japanese Fenders are great in my opinion.

18. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Those were well loved back in the day for their overall construction. The pickups were often a little bright. Let your ears decide how they work for you.

19. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I have a '62 reissue MIJ, it came stock with Texas Specials which I didn't love. Replaced them with some pure vintage Fender pickups and it's been my #1 for a few years now. Great guitar.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

My MIJ Custom Telecaster w/Bigsby came with ceramic pickups & small pots.

I swapped out the pickups to Duncans and installed full size CTS pots, Orange drop cap and a 4-way switch.

It's a fantastic guitar now! I've owned several Telecasters over the years and have sold/traded all of them with exception of my Custom Telecaster. It's a keeper!

The neck profile is exactly like a '66 Telecaster I owned for years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.