1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ Telecaster maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 32soundz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. hellopain

hellopain Tele-Meister

i have an MIJ tele that is an '85 on both the neck plate and neck. but a different marking on the neck heel (TL72-55 on the neck and CTL-50 on the heel).

2. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

TL72 is a Telecaster model designation in Japan. Not sure what CTL-50 is supposed to mean. What does your guitar look like?

3. hellopain

hellopain Tele-Meister

4. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had an '87/'88 MIJ tele, in natural (but I strongly suspect it was stripped and sprayed with clear that had a maple fingerboard. First tele I ever liked, and it had the 3 barrel bridge, which was also the first one I've had.

5. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Sorry everybody, false alarm the serial number is U006785 which I guess makes it an 1995-96 model, anything I should know about this 95 made CIJ's?

6. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

yes...might be good might not be...even the Amazing Kreskin would not be able to answer this without more info.

7. eyesopen

eyesopen TDPRI Member

I was in my favorite shop getting an adjustment on a Strat neck when I saw just what you have described on the bench. The owner was swapping out an anodized pick guard for the original. It was a 1985 MIJ, double binding, 'burst, with maple fret. I played it and it was like A DREAM. Yes, I bought it....but, I haven't brought it home yet. I'll get photos on it this week, and some intel on it.

8. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I've had only good experience with Japanese Fenders to the point I've become a fan boy. For 450 I'd try it and most likely buy it.

9. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.