1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ Telecaster maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 32soundz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Hello fellow Tele enthusiast,

Could you please give me your expertise,

I met someone today who is selling couple of guitars, now one of them he describes as a mid 80's made in Japan Sunburst Tele but with a maple neck so it isn't the custom 62.

I havent asked him for pics or serial numbers because he said I can go round to his house to see it and I dont want to arouse him into thinking that it might be worth more than he is asking for. (450 euro)

The thing is before I go to see the guitar I would like to know more about it

So it is a Telecaster
    colour Sunburst
    Fretboard maple
    made in Japan
    mid 80's

I did some Googling but I cant seem to find any pics of ones with maple necks they all have rosewood ,does anybody here know what this guitar model might be?

Is it rare?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
    eyesopen likes this.
  2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You have got to be kidding. You want an appraisal with no more information than that?

bby85 likes this.
  3. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

No I dont want appraisal, I am asking if anybody knows which Japanese made Sunburst Tele's had maple necks in the 80's.

I read something about 1985 50's (sometimes called a 57 RI) having maple necks.

4. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Somebody here must know something, this is the worlds greatest Telecaster forum!

Doesn't anybody here own a MIJ 80's Tele with a maple fretboard?

eyesopen likes this.
  5. romo

romo Tele-Meister

Are you sure its an 80's guitar? I have a sunburst, double bound, maple neck MIJ Jerry Donahue. The serial number on the bridge (on number on the guitar) dates it to about '85, but this model want produced until the early 90's. The dating of the Japanese Fenders is difficult, so it may have been made more recently.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

It coukld easily be a mid 80's MIJ neck on a different body.

We need to see pics of the neck pocket and neck to see the model number before we can tell you what it is.

More than likely its a partscaster cause Fenders are so easy to change necks and parts on we see this everyday here at the worlds greatest Telecaster forum.

MAXXFIELD and Tonetele like this.
  7. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

The MIJ '54 Esquires had maple necks, and I believe they were routed for 2 pickups. I don't know if they came in sunburst; I've only seen blonde myself.
    But as others have noted, parts are easily swapped.

8. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

So for you to be saying that must mean you cant think of a factory standard made one with maple in the 80's?

Anyway I will ask him for the model number tomorrow.

He wasn't even trying to sell the guitar or anything, I just took my bike to the garage this smorning and I noticed that he had guitarists nails, so I said do you play guitar etc etc, and then he told me about the two guitars he is thinking of selling, he didn't say its a partcaster or anything.

9. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Thats interesting, maybe that's the case then.Mind you he didn't mention it was a signature guitar which he did for the other one he is selling.

So have you heard of the 1985 50's Tele? (sometimes called a 57 RI)?

10. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Anyway I have taken up enough of your time and I guess I should have tried to find out a bit more before posting.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have more info!

11. kypdurron

kypdurron Tele-Meister

The japanese 52 RI was offered in different finishes, and so were many other models. keep in mind only a small part of the 7ender Japan branded production got into export at all. then and now. so it's not very unlikely there existed a model that no-one outside Japan ever has played.

Currently, they offer Thinlines and Customs in maple / sb. None odf these are regularly exported.

12. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this and I missed it, but the serial number on the bridge plate is not a good way to date '80s MIJ Fenders. You have to removed the neck and check the butt of it for a handwritten date. The bridge plate on mine 'dates' to '85; the neck has a handwritten date of '88.

13. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

can`t venture a guess without pics or better info.

14. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Can't know what it really is without more info or a picture, but the first thing that came to mind was the Made In Japan version of the Jerry Donahue Telecaster. IIRK the one with the full name was made in U.S., maybe Custom Shop (?), whereas the one made in Japan was called a "JD Tele." It had a maple neck, sunburst body, binding, and a strat-style neck pickup:

[​IMG]

More info here: http://www.xhefriguitars.com/page9.html

15. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

Thats very interesting thanks! nice link as well, I am really curious now to see the actual guitar, the thing is I wont be able to take the neck off, so I will just have to check for any numbers/markings

16. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

I dont think I will be able to ask him to take the neck off, its not on e bay or anything like that you see

17. 32soundz

32soundz Tele-Holic

yes! this seems to be a52 RI

[​IMG]

A member of this forum called "The Saint" posted it in another thread..

18. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Thats a 62 custom body with a maple neck.

52's dont have binding.

19. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

If it is a JD Tele it will say so on the headstock, and it will say either made In Japan or Crafted In Japan on the back of the neck near where it meets the body. In general the Japanese guitars were (and are) very good ones.

20. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

No, as Mark says above, that's not a 52 RI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.