1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ Telecaster Custom Reissue with MIM Body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Zakkid, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Zakkid

Zakkid TDPRI Member

New here. I just bought a MIJ Telecaster Custom Reissue used. It looks mighty fine. Serial number on neck suggests it as '93-'94. However, I opened it up and discovered the HB appears to be alnico. I understood the MIJ HB were ceramic. How can I determine if I have a MIJ neck on a MIM(likely) or MIA(doubtful) body? Thanks for your insight.

Attached Files:

Wallaby likes this.
  2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Pics of the routing, neck pocket, pots, bridge, wiring, solder joints, etc could all help ID the body.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Why do you think the HB is alnico? Did you remove the cover and scope the magnet on the baseplate?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Boreas likes this.
  4. Zakkid

Zakkid TDPRI Member

Thanks for the repsonse. Here are a few more pics...

Attached Files:

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

as far as i can tell, those look like pots on MIJ models of that era.

but what i mean with the pickup, is that regardless of whether it's ceramic MIJ, or alnico MIM, they are both standard humbuckers with a bar mag. fender never reissued a WRHB with mag pole pieces until some months ago. the only way to tell whether it's alnico or ceramic would be to look at what's on the baseplate. barring that, i would not make a judgment as to whether it's CIJ/MIM based on the external appearance of the HB.

was there any other reason to believe the body had been swapped out?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Zakkid and Boreas like this.
  6. Zakkid

Zakkid TDPRI Member

Probably "buyer remorse syndrome". I was super stoked to get it...so naturally I assume something is wrong with it. Got nervous...I understood the ceramic HB are black on the bottom...then I couldn't find a way to identify the code on the pots. Mostly I want MIJ body for the wood. It is suppose to be ash which I prefer to alder...likely I will swap the neck HB...What's your opinion on the reissue WRHB? Thanks again.

7. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Looks just like the WRHBs in my two Japanese Tele Customs from the early 80s (see pic). The electronics are undoubtedly Japanese from the 80s / early 90s, and the neckplate of course. What you have is a perfectly standard MIJ Tele Custom.
    [​IMG]

Zakkid and loopfinding like this.
  8. Zakkid

Zakkid TDPRI Member

Thank Matthew K!

MatthewK likes this.
  9. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

I have to say, the neck bucker in these MIJ Customs is a really nice pickup. I used the trick of backing off the polepieces which are hidden under the cover - you can see in the photo that the polepieces with slots (the hidden ones) are sticking further out of the underside of the pickup. This takes them "out of play" which makes the pickup a bit less heavy sounding. In mine I replaced the stock 375k pots on the neck pickup with 1M pots to clean it up a little further, and the end result is a really warm, clear sound. I wouldn't trade it for anything actually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.