MIJ tele bridge question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BlackieBlues, Jul 15, 2019.

1. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

I’m looking at a MIJ tele with an “O” and 6 digits serial on the back of the neck which I know means its production was ‘93-‘94.
    The bridge plate however has a stamp of A055779. What does the represent? What is the A? Does this number have any meaning at all?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

An interesting question I've never seen two different serial numbers on an all original guitar. I have '62 RI A012947 on bridge plate no numbers anywhere else on the guitar.

3. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The A + 6 digits is a mid 80's serial number
    unless it is a crafted in japan 97-98

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

The A plate means nothing as far as dating you need to go of the other serial number and pots, they used those A plates for about a decade(or more?).

I recently did a thread about before I knew this fact I bought an A serial paisley hoping it was an 85 (different features) and it turned out to have a 88 dated neck

5. BlackieBlues

Ok so what does that mean then?

6. BlackieBlues

So does that mean, Fender Japan got those plates from Fender USA? Maybe Fender USA had left overs?

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Sorry if my explanation was confusing.

The A serial plate are mij and only on mij the guitar I referenced was a mij paisley.
    Mij started using the A serial bridge plate around 1985 I believe and if you look at the serial number data base I think it says mij A serial numbers are 85-86.
    This is incorrect as you can find them up into the late 90s crafted in Japan era.

Therefore the A serial number bridge has no bearing on when a guitar was actually made.
    I like to think of it as like the original 50’s bridge plates that were picked out of a bin in no particular order. Except with the Japanese it was in the 80 and 90s. And their bin was bigger.
    I don’t know how it happened that they had so many made up.

The O serial number you have is probably when the guitar was actually produced

If the instrument is crafted in Japan with an A serial they were made in 97-98 but I don’t think that’s based on the bridge plate but the stamp on the back of the neck

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. BlackieBlues

Got it thanks! It’s actually a MIJ not CIJ so it should be a ‘93-94’, as I figured.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.