1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ Stratocaster Find

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Maicobmw, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

I've been curious about the MIJ Fenders for some time, so I am really pleased to have found this 1991 Fujigen factory '62 reissue Stratocaster. Stock as far as I know except for Fralin pickups, various small dings and scratches on the body but the neck and fretboard are pretty clean. The first sunburst I've owned of any kind for no particular reason. Very impressed with the playability and tone not to mention the build quality. A keeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SRHmusic, marc2211, Bob Mc and 26 others like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Looks good!

3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is a nice burst! Also dig the MIJ guitars.

4. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That’s clean!

5. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Very nice!

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Very Nice Indeed

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I'm not a strat guy, but love MIJ stuff and Fralin are my pickups of choice. How do they sound in a strat?

8. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

I have a Telecaster with Fralins too, so they were a big selling point with the Strat. They sound predictably magnificent, much better than the stock pickups in my 2019 AP Strat.

9. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I have one of the 68 RIs - they are great guitars

10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I had a MIJ 62 reissue in Shell Pink. Cool guitar. It threatened my masculinity though so I moved it on.:lol:

Maicobmw likes this.
  11. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

HNGD

12. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That's a beauty, Congrats! Sunburst Strats are the best, classic; and that's a nice dark rich fretboard. I too am a Fralin p/u fan.

13. fugazi39

fugazi39 Tele-Meister

I just bought a 1996 62RI, looks very similar to that one. Mine had Tex-Mex pickups to replace the crappy stock ceramic pickups that are OEM. I've never understood why Fender Japan would put those stinky pickups in such a well made guitar. Oh, well.

The rosewood on my '96 is the darkest I've ever had on a guitar, and I've had a lot. It also has the real specs for the body shape and plays fantastic. HNGD.

Maicobmw likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!

15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

MIJ Fender's are great guitars.

Like some of the posters have stated the main flaw (if any) are the pickups and wiring. Some MIJ's come with MIA pick-ups stock.

I swapped out the pick-ups and switch on my MIJ '62 Tele w/Bigsby with Duncans and it really came alive!

The bodies & necks on the MIJ's can't be beat. When I first tried mine out the neck shape was exactly the shape of a '66 vintage Tele I once owned, that alone sold me.

With the mod's I did to mine I can honestly say that I'll never sell it. I've gone through several Tele's over the years (MIM & MIA), but my MIJ Tele is here to stay.

Maicobmw likes this.
  16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have one too, it's actually a '67 reissue. They called it a '68 back at the time, but the headstock is more like a 67. Really really nice pickups in those, I believe they're American-made pickups. Very nice Sunburst as well, like the OP Strat, and a super thin neck that's fun to play on after playing a fat neck. Also a maple-capped neck, with no skunk stripe. The model number is ST-67, but it was marketed at Guitar Center as a '68 reissue. I bought mine new in 1988.

blue metalflake and Maicobmw like this.
  17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

That’s it to a Tee! I bought mine second hand in the early days of E Bay. Eventually stopped p/u’s for Texas specials.
    My go to guitar at home.

tap4154 likes this.
  18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still remember walking into Guitar Center and it was on a stand, and my eyes instantly glued to it. Still love it, though I generally prefer thicker necks now, but I still enjoy playing it, and I love the original pickups. The only real weak point was it had a box switch that eventually failed and I replaced that with a Stew Mac Mega E switch, and I made the middle position bridge/neck. Also put the bottom tone control on the bridge pickup, which worked nice having the middle position being bridge/neck anyway.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The Fender Japan story is interesting and originally grew out of the lawsuit era when Fender sued Fuji gen (and Tokai etc) then agreed to let them keep making Fenders if the sold some to FMIC.

The arrangement set up Fender Japan separate from but affiliated with FMIC.
    Much or most of the Fender Japan production is sold IN Japan so we never see a large portion of the line.

We may think of a standard MIJ like there was back then a standard USA Fender but they had a wide price range, and what came to the US was mostly the cheaper models.
    AFAIK.

20. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

early 90s Fender Japan are some great guitars; congrats on a very nice Strat!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.