1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIJ Squire Bullet Strat: Need Pickguard

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by brians356, Nov 15, 2020.

1. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

I want to replace the pickguard on my mid-'80s MIJ Bullet Strat. A few years ago I found an online source for PGs including for Bullet Strats, but now I can't find it. I want a thin, white/cream, single ply PG. Anyone know where I can buy one ready to install?
    -

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Musiclilly??

$12... 1 ply cream. 11hole. Should work!!

3. 68Telebass

Here is page from Amazon.

upload_2020-11-15_2-32-17.png

Attached Files:

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

guys.. bullet strats looked like this in the 80's. It has a square tele pocket too.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 094020.jpg

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

68Telebass likes this.
  6. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

That's the place, thanks. But, there's one slight problem, the perimeter screw hole near the top of the middle pickup is in the wrong spot. Compare the photo of my Bullet S3 with WD's shadow diagram.

20201115_105033.jpg BGS3_8301_mi.jpg
    -

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  7. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

That's odd, it has the notch for a heel truss rod adjustment. My early '80s has the adjustment at the headstock. The WD seems perfect for your guitar, screw holes all match as well. When and where was that sunburst made?
    -

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

ah, that's annoying. .... that must be the USA layout.

9. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

I can live with it, but it requires drilling a new hole in the body. Considering it's (generously) a $500 guitar, not a collectible, no big deal.
    -

10. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

Oops, the bridge PU location is too close to the bridge plate in the WD pattern.
    -

11. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

I see now that all pickups on my Squire Bullet have been moved closer to the neck (away from the bridge) compared to WD's pattern, and to your photo. So only the pickup holes and screws are shifted. I guess I need a PG patterned for '83 MIJ Squire Bullet S3.
    -

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    68Telebass likes this.
  12. 68Telebass

The pics made it much clearer- especially when compared to the WD diagram.
    Two choices-

1- Send your pickguard to WD and have them cut you one from it.
    2- get the material of your choice and cut your own using your pickguard as a template.

Option 1 is expensive, and you wont have a pickguard while it’s being done.
    Option 2 would be cheaper, you may need a few new tools, but you would then have experience to make more in the future!
    Let us know!!

13. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

I was just writing an email to WD with that photo. But they would almost certainly need the PG as a pattern, unless they've already made one like mine for someone else. I don't play the guitar anyway, so down time is ok. Problem is it's not worth throwing money at, I could justify $30 for a ready-made PG, but more than that I'll probably punt.
    -

68Telebass likes this.
  14. 68Telebass

Talking with WD is a good thing as well-they are really great to work with and will give you a firm estimate. Obviously, parchment or cream 1ply will be cheaper than multi ply abalone or something!

My avatar bass has a WD 3 ply mint green pickguard I got from them in 2014. Frank was awesome!

brians356 likes this.
  15. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

A guy I play in a band with says the same. I've since determined it's a MIK '87 Bullet, not an earlier MIJ.

I love the neck and it plays great, but I'm not crazy about the OEM pickups. I'm thinking of putting Bill Lawrence pickups in it, but I wonder if you know about WD's Kent Armstrong single coils? They seem to carry that brand almost exclusively. I know nothing about them.

-

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  16. 68Telebass

No, I don’t know about the Kent Armstrong pickups. But my 2cents says check out Bootstrap Pickups. Wound in Ohio, VERY reasonable price, and options for vintage (Nocaster AlNiCo III for a third of Fenders price) up to “Twisted Tele” options (called “pretzels” lol)

do a thread search- lots of like for them and their service. I’ve got a set of the Original Recipes set to go into a ”projekt” I’m working on...
    Carl-

17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I'm convinced there are several hole spacing on the many models of Squier Fender Strats out there Even among the three pickguards I have there are not the same. I bought a Fender Pickguard that fits pretty well on my Squire bullet but not all the holes lined up. And the Fender starcaster I have is different than either one of those two....

I mean... there's three different patterns right there. Maybe I've got the variances covered but it part of me thinks there is no rhyme or reason and you might have a dozen different styles. LOL. Ugh.

18. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Try also Pickguard Heaven/Pickguard Planet, aka Chandler Music in N. California. They made (for a previous owner) this guard for my mid-1980s MIJ Squier Bullet. The number on the bottom of my guard may be their internal stock number, but custom cut for the Tele bridge.

Don't forget that USA made Fender Bullets use different pick guards from Squier models.

Your 1987 MIK would have a E7 neck plate and a Strat type head stock. Solid wood body.
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Bullet-S-3T-(3rd-Version)

The MIJs had Tele type with heel adjust. Laminated body.
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Bullet-S-3T-(2nd-Version)

100_7294.jpg IMG_20170727_122146665_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  19. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

@Michael A., Thanks, looks a good resource and I'm in the west coast region. Mine has the Strat headstock and E7 serial number, so I'm convinced now it's MIK.
    -

20. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.