MIJ '62 Strat - basswood?

DOC DYA

Tele-Meister
A lot of MIJ Fender are made of alder or basswood. Never heard of poplar bodies. My MIJ Tele (see avatar) is alder. Wood is one thing. Quality of wood is another thing. As another poster said, many high quality guitars have been made with basswood. Should I add that a lot of rubbish guitars were made with alder, ash, whatever... That might be a reason that US, Korea, China,... made guitars, using the same "wood" have VERY different prices (and sounds?).
;)
That said, I think you guitar is alder.

kinkstah

Tele-Afflicted
As stated in other posts, many MIJ/CIJ Fenders actually came with alder or ash bodies (I have owned a few, and still have 2 CIJ Telecasters: both are unmistakenly ash) The grain of this one definitely looks like alder, to my eyes.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I'm on the hunt for a MIJ '62 but I am determined to avoid basswood for the body. I'm looking at this one and I'm pretty sure that it's basswood. Furthermore, the seller says it light, well under 7Ibs. Thoughts? View attachment 998647 View attachment 998648

What's wrong with basswood besides aesthetics? That looks great to me. I don't stare at the grain on my guitar while I play, or any other time, so its no big del to me. Grain lines, much like headstock shape, is one of the most useless parts of a guitar. How they look means absolutely nothing to a guitar. And they matter the least.

So it's crazy to me to see people make such big deals of them. I don't stare at my guitar while I play so grain lines matter almost none. I don't stare at it while it hangs on the wall, either. So "boring" grain has no bearing here. Grain is grain is grain. When it sounds and feels good, grain means squat.

Just like headstock shape.

Last edited:

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
What's wrong with basswood besides aesthetics? That looks great to me. I don't stare at the grain on my guitar while I play, or any other time, so its no big del to me. Grain lines, much like headstock shape, is one of the most useless parts of a guitar. How they look means absolutely nothing to a guitar. And they matter the least.

So it's crazy to me to see people make such big deals of them. I don't stare at my guitar while I play so grain lines matter almost none. I don't stare at it while it hangs on the wall, either. So "boring" grain has no bearing here. Grain is grain is grain. When it sounds and feels good, grain means squat.

Just like headstock shape.

Many of us feel, based on experience, that basswood does not possess the same desired tonal characteristics as say alder and ash.

Yes, certain famous guitarists use basswood. Yes certain high end builders use it as well. To me neither is a valid counterpoint. That's like saying there's nothing wrong with soy because McDonald's, a multi-trillion dollar corporation, uses it in their food. Food which some people enjoy.

I have owned more than 10 basswood Fenders, about 5 basswood Godins, and 3 or 4 basswood Ibanez's. Although many were well made instruments, I never fell in love with the sound.

With the Fenders, I had the benefit of owning basswood and alder and ash versions of the same models at the same time. The basswood consistently lacked the pleasing audible properties of the other woods, pickup variances be damned.