MIJ '62 Strat - basswood?

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I'm on the hunt for a MIJ '62 but I am determined to avoid basswood for the body. I'm looking at this one and I'm pretty sure that it's basswood. Furthermore, the seller says it light, well under 7Ibs. Thoughts?
277292645_4913593925425532_103984243093628579_n.jpg
276165762_7132274423514124_2378033092981888553_n.jpg

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep. Most low end MIJ Fenders were basswood. However, the high end ones would sport Alder/Ash and rare ones have nitro finishes.

I think the high end ones would always have US pickups/electronics.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yeh. I'm torn on this one.

IMO that's not Basswood grain. Typically, Basswood has fine, uniform grain with no figure.

The back of the body looks a lot more like Alder to me. Seems like Alder with some figure to it and they've cut the body so that figure is on the front.

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Is this something I missed, a universal distaste for basswood? I have a couple of great sounding basswood guitars; one is one of my favorites.
Anyway, I agree... it doesn't look like the grain of either of mine. But then I'm no botanist...)

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I had a piece of Basswood for carving. It did not have grain like that body shows, it had more of a uniform wood grain without any swirly figuring at all like an ash or alder has... I suppose if cut a certain direction from the log it could show those though...
I had one basswood guitar that was fine, light.

5299.jpg

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Is this something I missed, a universal distaste for basswood? I have a couple of great sounding basswood guitars; one is one of my favorites.
Anyway, I agree... it doesn't look like the grain of either of mine. But then I'm no botanist...)
I had a guitar and a bass with basswood in the past; both were lifeless. Just my experience.

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Another county heard from... there must be many with the same experience; hence the general basswood disdain.
One of mine sounds dark, but not bad... the other sounds pretty balanced. I wonder if there's a lot of variety between different pieces?

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Sure doesn't look much like basswood to me. My experience with basswood is it's finer grained and not much character to it, like @schmee example shows. My money would be that it's most likely Alder... but I'm not familiar with MIJ's so FWIW

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I had a guitar and a bass with basswood in the past; both were lifeless. Just my experience.

Well, that's 2 examples. 2 points on a line don't make a trend.

My basswood ST-62 DEX2 sounds really fine. The basswood body is only one component in a guitar comprised of many.

Here's a pocket-full of basswood:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Another county heard from... there must be many with the same experience; hence the general basswood disdain.
One of mine sounds dark, but not bad... the other sounds pretty balanced. I wonder if there's a lot of variety between different pieces?

Lots of variety. Body blanks from the same tree can vary tremendously. It's really the individual chunk of wood that makes a difference, the species not so much.

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
Basswood is a relatively decent tradeoff when you compare to the other cost-cutting measures such as lousy tuners, pickups and other electronic components. I have a 90's MIJ Tele and on 80s MIj Strat and they are both great sounding, abeit w after market pickups.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
You know, a lot of very expensive instruments use basswood. Suhr has used it for a long time and guys like Vai play basswood bodies. You may not like it (not that it makes even a slight difference in sound in a solid-body electric with non-microphonic pickups -- I mean how could it?), but it's not inferior.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I'll ask again: any more opinions on whether it's alder or basswood?

It's hard to say, I have a basswood guitar and 2 alder ones and it doesn't look like any of them.

It looks more like my Poplar body out of all of them. (this is from stewmac mines painted white)

1656443895868.png