MIJ 62 Bound Tele Custom Lake Placid Blue - bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rze99, Nov 1, 2015.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Just bought a used Fender FSR Japanese 62 Bound Tele Custom in Old Lake Placid Blue like this. It's extravant because I already have an LPB tele partscaster, but I do really like the double bound look. I love LPB and it it is in immaculate condition.

I'm planning on making some changes to it. I'll gets the frets stoned to a 10" radius and I'll also replace the bridge pickup since I have teles on the bridge for 90% of the stuff I do.

I think the original Fender USA '62 pick-up is an obvious good candidate for it and I'm not planning on a custom wind. What do you suggest I replace it with (or indeed, any other things you'd do to it)? Keep in mind I'm in the UK.

Attached Files:

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I always loved Bare Knuckle pickups. They have a wide range to choose from.

3. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

The USA 62 is a great pickup, but really bright, which might suit you. I ended up replacing it with a manlius hybrid 60, which is very similar but uses A2 magnets on the three treble strings to tame the brightness a bit. The three bass strings still use A5 so they retain their brightness and twang. By the way, I recently played the same guitar in a shop, same colour and everything, and it was one of the best playing and put together guitars I've ever come across. Wish I had some funds at the time!

4. rze99

Thanks Dirtybluegene, encouraging! I have an '85 MIJ '62 that I've had for about 18 years and I love it.. I put an SD Jerry Donahue in that bridge for some extra oomph but still a classic tele sound and it superb. BTW Going into an AC30 and DRRI combined.

This one I'm not looking to make hotter, but to improve the '60s vibe and tone so maybe the '62 is right for that application and thanks for the info about the hybrid 60 sounds a good recommendation.

5. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

I just installed a USA reissue '62 Bridge on my FSR Tele, which came stock with the MIM ceramics. It was not a blow your mind away brightness compared to the ceramics. So you might be fine with the USA '62 Bridge. Seemed to work fine on my Tele.

6. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I have a 3TS one that I had reradiused to compound 7,25-9,5 and fretted with stainless.

Currently have a Don Mare 2-speed stingray and a Twang king neck pickup.

Sounds really nice but I am thinking of replacint the TK with something more tele sounding.

Harald

7. rze99

Great thanks. Yes I think it's right for this guitar and to keep it in keeping.

8. rze99

thanks yes I think the fretwork is a really simple but useful trick.

9. rze99

I 've just ordered the '62 set on-line

I also have got a set from my 60s Classic that were pretty nice that I could have put in but I have those in mind for a something else down the line.

The guitar has also just arrived :) but have only briefly unpacked it and given it a once over on the essentials due to being busy else where. It is certainly beautiful regardless of pickups!

I have time and daylight this weekend to take some shots and offer some views of it with more than 10 minutes playing time.

10. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Funny, cos' the Fender '62 Custom Tele bridge pickup is an A2 pickup.

11. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

Yeah, I found that out after someone pointed it out to me. I didn't believe it at first, but further research proved me wrong. Either way, it fixed the issue for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.