MIIIv2: Which Basic model is the most authentic - 65 Princeton or Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by OzShadow, Sep 15, 2019.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’m guessing the Basic 65 Deluxe. To me, the Basic 65 Princeton lacks some of the warmth and has a bit more noise.

Your thoughts? How authentic do you think they are? This is strictly the Basic models, not altered third party versions.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Deluxe. I have a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb and an ‘81 Princeton Reverb.

I don’t think my Mustang III V2 captures either that closely. But they are good sounds nonetheless. The Mustang sounds like a good recording of those amps, not like the live amp. And the feel isn’t quite there.

I use a Blackstone Appliances overdrive pedal to add back some of the feel.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Deluxe. I have played with the Princeton patch, and never got a sound that I like from it. Maybe I just don't like the Princeton?

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I couldn't agree more. I have heard so many cite mustangs as being just "ok" modelers but really great when it comes to the fender models. I never thought they sounded real close, but more then that they feel nothing like the real thing. I had the MIII and now have the GT100 and i feel the same way about both. I like em, and in fact still use a love the GT aside from all the issues they have. But i can't get a great realistic fender feel/sound from any o them. Not saying they are bad, just not the same at all really. I mainly use other models like the modern fender bassbreaker model for my main OD tone but it's much more like a marshall than a fender. On a side note, as those vintage fender models go, i prefer all of them on the GT over the MIII. Of course as i always have to mention, NOT with the stock speaker. Hate that thing.

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Where you changed speakers, I used a Blackstone Overdrive to add the live feel. But yes, while I really like the sound, it’s not the sound of my 66 Deluxe Reverb live. It’s more polished and processed.

A different sound, and great. But not as organic.

6. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky TDPRI Member

I had the MIII V2 in Red. The 65 Deluxe Reverb preset is nice. The factory 65 Princeton Reverb preset is nowhere close to a real PR. Noisy preset as it comes from the factory. What I did to reduce the noise was to lower the digital VOL. to below 3 in FUSE. VOL 7, if I recall, was the stock setting.The Master Volume is the actual volume control. Only then did it come close to sounding like my PR clone. The noise was vanquished.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.