1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mighty Mite necks?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Phatius, Mar 16, 2011.

1. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Not mine. One was handled only after I demanded to talk to the manager (was told at first that the sales dude didn't have one), the other was more or less told to cram it. I've worked on some of their necks for customers and my reactions have ranged from being unimpressed, to being surprised they would actually send it out the door the way they did.

2. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

My experience with MM necks have been about the same as yours Koko. Horrible customer service and thats IF you can get a hold of em, and I have seen multiple necks come from them that are unplayable not in need of a setup or fret dress but unplayable. IMO you should save for an allparts neck..

3. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

The MM V neck on one of my Custom Tele builds was the reason my friend wanted to trade his Highway 1 for it. I did have to clean up the sharp fret ends though.
    The best high end neck in my opinion is Musikraft, the Clapton C is on my not for sell Custom.

4. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Tele-Meister

ive heard good things about Musikraft products but have heard that their
    customer service sucks. again i have no experience with them either way.

5. Ken Maggs

Ken Maggs TDPRI Member

suggested neck replaement luthier

Don't know anything about Mighty Mite but I have had real great luck with
    B.Hefner & Co. I ordered 3 so far and they have been spot on for shape, radius, frets etc. and the nice part is you choose everything. Fret type,
    height, material, type of fingerboard or not, finish, dressing,etc
    I have a body and another neck on order as I write this. You will pay a
    little more but if it's worth the time and trouble then he's the guy to talk to'
    Bernie is is name and he is liscenced by Fender
    [email protected]
    http://www.bhefner.com

6. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Ive got one on a partsbuilt tele...which recently has been my #1 guitar...and on a Squier Strat. I bought both thru Stewart McDonald and dont know if that changes the QC...I like the feel of both necks and both necks are absolutley playable. Ive not had any bow-twist issues...both developed pretty good fret sprout during our cold and exceeding dry winters...but they were not humidifed...I lightly dressed the fret ends with a file and they are fine...

When I bought them they were about $100 and change each. I see the price has increased.

7. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Holy hell, stay away from B. Hefner! If you value your money and time, you'll heed this advice. Don't go there!!!

8. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Tele-Meister

explain please.

9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Anyone else on Musikraft? I think their Blackguard project is interesting.

10. mrmorrison

Search his name on this and many other forums. The guy is not trustworthy. When I was searching for a builder for one of my projects, I contacted him and got an all-around creepy vibe from him. He wanted full payment upfront and did not have a friendly demeanor at all.

My advice is to look elsewhere. There are plenty of builders on this site who do better work for similar or less money.

11. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

B. Hefner does quality work-just be prepared to wait 6 weeks, and above all, don't call him up and try to "hurry him along". Do that and he turns into a real a-hole! He did this beautiful alder Tele body for me for $145, and he did it 2 weeks ahead of schedule. He doesn't have anything on the shelf. You order it; he builds it for you.

Attached Files:

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Which version? The one made (as in they own the plant and pay the people) by Gotoh or the other one made by (same deal) Sung-Il?

Mighty Mite is a brand. They arrange to have parts made by others on a contract basis. Show me a current image of the "Mighty Mite" plant if you want to persuade me. Their weakness is, they cannot control the specifications and the quality of the items they resell.

13. blue56

blue56 TDPRI Member

I made a pine "esquire" with an allparts fat tele neck good value and tone !

14. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

mighty mite 2914 birdseye maple v neck on my 59 toploader esquire - just citristriped it, used the citristrip wash , whiskered it, and 8 coats of tru oil- nice neck when you get rid of the crappy poly sealer on it- just a minor truss rod adjustment, and shes been playing fine for the last 8 months - a definate keeper beautiful birdseye board, back of neck has some flame , too !!!

15. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I bought a blem one from MF for $55 that was flawless except it was supposed to 21 frets and it was 22 which is fine but was wierd. Othere than that it was great

Gary

16. mrmorrison

Hefner may have done a good job for you, but his work is inconsistent from what I've heard. Also, he was already coming off as a real a-hole in just the few e-mails we had together. It was one of the things that helped me choose Mario at Guitar Mill for that build. He's professional and a real nice guy.

17. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

First..Stay away from Hefner.. I had a body and a neck from him that was absolutely horrendous...Frets not seated properly,, glue all over the fretboard... wood that looked like he took it out of a trash can...routing holes not aligned and neck pocket too big. Called him to try and correct this and he basically said tough sh*t. Warmoth on the other has been great with the 5 necks and 2 bodies I bought from them. Had 1 issue with a fretboard i didn't like and they took care of it with no problem.

18. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Flynn and MrMorrison-I don't doubt what you say at all-the guy is creepy to talk to. I had ordered from him before I knew about all the horror stories. He is capable of good work-but I got the impression from him that it would take almost nothing at all for him to decide to do a really *hitty job for me, and that he would have no qualms about doing it, either.

19. Ken Maggs

Ken Maggs TDPRI Member

Well I stand by what I said ---yeah, Ive read some bad reviews on Bernie but I have also read crappy reviews about Mighty Mite, Warmouth and All Parts. You have to trust someone and you can't buy all of the stuff you see or read--I have many guitars and been around to see Fender and Gibson go thru their crappy years as I'm sure a lot of the older members have--Try calling them back in the 70's and see what you got--
    You get what you pay for and if it's custom it can take awhile--
    At the end of the day I realised That Fender trusts him to make parts for them and he carries their liscense so that's good enough for me--and besides after ordering 3 times
    from him I have yet to be let down.
    If your in a hurry for a neck then go to anyone for their special of the week!
    And if you have been that burnt then let Fender know and maybe they'll lift his liscence--Read all the comments on all the suppliers you'll soon see that they get good and bad reviews--not much different than B. Hefner & Co
    Remember, he is a luthier not a PR man and we all have bad days
    muggsy

20. mrmorrison

Define luthier. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.