1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mighty Mite necks?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Phatius, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Phatius

Phatius Tele-Meister

Recently bought an MIJ fender tele and fell in love with it. So I sold off my Les Paul and now thinking of putting together an Esquire. I already found a body and now need a Neck.

Are mighty mite necks any good? or am i better off getting a warmoth? or maybe a second hand squire neck?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have 2 experiences with mighty mite: 1) a neck that was backbowed, 2) they failed to respond to several voicemail messages and emails about becoming a dealer. I steer clear of them now.

I have several experiences with Warmoth, none were better than my experiences with mighty mite.

I have many experiences with Allparts, and except for their screwball way of handling backorders, all have been good. I've been happy with all the bodies and necks I've purchased from them.

I've also dealt quite a bit with WD Music, and they are also a pleasure to work with and make great stuff.

3. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Tele-Meister

ive never played a neck of theirs i liked. feels like a lesser quality to me. plus, to many story's like koko's for me to try them again.

4. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I like 'em. They're a great value, IMHO. May not be perfect out of the box, but with a little attention, they feel/play great.

5. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

I have a MM neck on my LPJ... it's great... Fret ends are a little pointy.. but otherwise perfect.

6. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

If you are looking for a special configuration, i.e. graduated radius or ultra thin neck with jumbo frets, Warmoth or USA Custom would be my choice. For a stock configuration, Allparts is hard to beat. My personal experiences with MM and WD have not been pleasant. I would suggest finding an Allparts dealer rather than going direct. Allparts will not, as a rule, discount to an individual but most dealers will.

7. Axe Slinger 7

Axe Slinger 7 Tele-Meister

Might Mite necks are more or less worth what you pay but I have run into a couple of problems with them that were annoying (bought a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard, well, a maple neck with a maple fingerboard stained ebony anyway...)
    I like WD. I like All Parts for a little pricier (and higher quality) neck.
    Warmoth is just expensive in comparison.

8. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

I recommend Rob, at frettech.com

I bought the neck for my build from him. He dressed all the edges and trued it up, before sending. PLUS...you can get a lot of your parts from him at the same, or BETTER pricing than you'll find elsewhere on the 'net.

He is a STRAIGHT UP guy, who stands behind his sales.

Steve

9. ricksconnected

warmoth makes good solid products. ive never had a problem with them.
    sure ive heard stories but they were always quickly handled.

10. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

I have 5 guitars with Mighty Mite necks. Anybody that says they're no good doesn't know "spit" from "shinola". IMO, YMMV, blahblahblah. (This is the only forum on the whole internet that I've found that that talks about "twisted" necks. Maybe they're out there, maybe not. Sounds like a lot of hoohah to me, but I could be wrong.)

You'd do well to learn to make a nut and dress frets. It's a skill that will serve you for the rest of your guitar playing life.

I just recently put a Mighty Mite neck on a recycled Saga body and it plays so nice I'm neglecting my other more expensive guitars. It's a real road warrior. I'll post pics sometime.

Mighty Mite parts come from the same factories as a bunch of Squiers, and they're better than a lot of other stuff Fender puts out.

By the way, those Wilkinson branded compensated bridges?

Mighty Mite.

Yup, I said it. :cool:

11. Phatius

Phatius Tele-Meister

thanks guys for all the advice. lot of mixed opinions. im leaning towards all parts or warmoth.

anyone know if squire necks are of any quality?

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Seriously? Did you not read what I just posted? :lol:

A TON of Squiers are from the same factory that makes Mighty Mite parts. I have a Squier 51 neck on one of my favorite guitars that is almost identical to the neck I just put on the Saga body.

Durrr. Losing. :lol:

13. ricksconnected

squier necks arent anything to brag about either.
    but again YMMV.
    people look for different things in their gear and replacement parts.
    i look for the highest quality i can afford.

14. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Mighty Mite's customer service is crap, so keep that in mind when or if you decide to purchase one of their items.

15. Phatius

Phatius Tele-Meister

haha i had the window to post open for a while and didn't see yours till after i posted mine. my fault.

16. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

That's sensible, of course. And if the OP's budget is $100 or less, I think he'd do well to go with Mighty Mite.

17. ricksconnected

your right, budget does play a big role in the parts game.
    you do get what you pay for generally i feel.
    in some situations its best to hold off and save a bit more cash
    for your purchase. i dont like to buy twice or "good enough for now"
    parts.

18. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Again, I agree...saving money can be wasting money, in the long run.

19. ricksconnected

exactly.

20. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

I have one on my MiM bodied parts tele and it's not too shabby. I might have just gotten a good one, though. I like it better than the neck on my stock MiM strat. The fretwork was better and it plays very nicely.

I also have one on a strat and even with the truss rod adjusted to its limit it has too much back bow. I've compensated by putting on heavier gauge strings but I was bummed that I had to do that. So, to me, MM necks are a bit of a crapshoot.

DJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.