Mighty Mite necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tcarp, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

"by the time you hire someone to get it just right (if you can't do it) you could have bought a high quality Warmoth or USACG neck that will probably need nothing".

As the originator of this thread, a newbie at partscasters, and a 57 year old who only started playing just 5 years ago, I've been agonizing and researching the hell out of necks, more so than any other part of my soon to be started project. I want to thank everyone in advance for their insight and opinions.

This will be my first build, and if successful, not my last. I want everything as right as possible, and like everyone else I want the best bang for the buck.

I narrowed my neck search to Mighty Mite, WD, AllParts, and Warmouth. Of those, Warmouth looks like it'll get the nod. For about $200 shipped, I can have an unfinished neck, with a Corian nut slotted and installed, and reasonably finished frets with no overhang. The other necks, while less expensive, seem to require a bit more work to get them to the quality of a Warmouth product. For what really amounts to just a few bucks more I've decided not to be pennywise and dollar foolish. Besides, my project is centered around a Warmouth Thinline body, so I'm already familiar with their quality and service.

My next big decision will be selecting a maple or rosewood board. I plan on refinishing the guitar in Surf Green (although Sonic Blue looks awfully tempting), and I like the look of maple against those colors. But I already have a Fender Thinline '69 RI in mahogany and it has a maple board, so perhaps rosewood is the way to go. Hell, I could always swap the necks!!!

I'll keep you posted.....and as always, thanks.

Tom

2. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Hee hee, you're gonna get it bad! :cool: :D

mud

3. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought my Mighty Mite neck from JC Guitars! He had it out to UPS 4 hours after I hit "Pay". Thats service!

4. The OB

The OB Tele-Meister

i dont like the black plastic truss rod access looks cheap imo

5. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Last year I bought an Eden neck that had the correct shape, but I was the last customer for a while: they opened back up, and they had paddle heads. They musta faced the Fender Legal Team, and had the fear of god put in em.

My neck was pretty good. It seemed that overall, most where happy with the necks they got from Eden. There were a few clunkers, most notably, one that was really warped badly. I mean like a pretzel bad! But the only other complaints I heard where, the 12th fret side markers werent lined up good (they werent), and some spots of the finish had chips or flakes missing (mine was fine).

Its a great player, no buzz, and feels a lot better than anything made recently by Squier. Just mho, ymmv.

6. Rockman1266

Rockman1266 TDPRI Member

I have used some of the Edens not bad.But if you have not got a neck yet I just got a nice tele neck off ebay he has got one more left the itam # is 110362220824 The neck is reel nice and its in nitro and a c cut on the back
    for like $95.00 you cant go wrong on this I dont think.

7. jlazaro317

jlazaro317 TDPRI Member

"My next big decision will be selecting a maple or rosewood board. I plan on refinishing the guitar in Surf Green (although Sonic Blue looks awfully tempting), and I like the look of maple against those colors. But I already have a Fender Thinline '69 RI in mahogany and it has a maple board, so perhaps rosewood is the way to go. "

Build 2!

8. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

9. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

If we can pimp good dealers, I've bought two MM necks from Mark at MJW Customs, http://mjwcustoms.4t.com/about.html

Great service and prices. He does a fret level and cleans up the fret ends before he ships the neck, included in the price. I got a soft V Strat neck and a compound radius Strat neck and they both worked out really well.

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you are going to buy an Allparts, WD, or MM neck, I would definetly buy it from Mark. Ive bought several things from Mark, and he is a stand up guy. We had two phone conversation before I placed a large order. Plus, like Jack said, he takes care or the frets which is the biggest obstacle to overcome when buying this ~100$ necks.

I have bought EDEN necks, for cheap buy the way, and they are just that, a Cheap neck. Frets are pretty bad, finish sanding isn't all that great, the tuning key holes weren't drilled with proper spacing. Plus the maple fretboard one I bought, wasn't really maple. I think its bamboo. Now, with some sanding, reshaping, and fret work, you can make them a workable neck, or you might get lucky and get one thats just okie dokie. I wouldn't count on that.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an Eden neck on a budget or cheap build, but for a good build, I would use at least an Allparts neck.

I have a warmoth neck. Great neck. It came ready for finish, sanded an everything. I just wish I would have rolled the edges on it more than a did. From now on, Im going to roll them edges good!

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You don't need router to shape a headstock, just a inexpensive coping saw and sandpaper.

12. culturejam

culturejam TDPRI Member

Mark from MJW is definitely the man. I just bought a guitar from him and I've spent plenty of time in his workshop. This guy knows what he's doing. Luckily, he lives about 5 miles from me. I'm actually headed over there tomorrow to get him to help me out with a guitar I'm working on. Not only is he unbelievably talented, he's also a very nice guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.