Mighty Mite necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tcarp, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

I'm still considering using an MIM standard neck on a Thinline partscaster project but want to keep my options open.

I saw a birdseye maple Mighty Mite neck at a reasonable price. Anyone use them? How do they compare fit/finish/quality-wise to an MIM standard?

This is my first project and a new neck will bring me over budget but I'd go that route if a Mighty Mite neck has advantages over the MIM.

Thanks

Tom

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've used two of them with no complaints. They usually require a minor fret leveling, but most aftermarket necks do.

3. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Some things I don't like....frets will need some attention....but so do my Muskraft-All Parts.....also your stuck with truss adjustment at the headstock and a wider 12th fret dot spacing........Junkie plastic nut.

I like the neck shape and fret size......

And though on some builds with the truss rod adjustment being on the headstock isn't spec. and kinda odd looking.....it looks better once you get them tinted and cleared.

[​IMG]

Every MM neck I have used the heel and neck pocket fit was good and tight.......each his own.....build to play and enjoy.

4. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

With EDEN out there, there's no reason for mighty mite to make necks.

5. telecster

telecster Tele-Meister

6. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

"With EDEN out there, there's no reason for mighty mite to make necks"

Can you elaborate on that?

Tom

7. Amadhunter

Amadhunter Tele-Meister

I bought one from 500spxcash too. Very pleased with it. He does the fretwork for you, and the one I got is nice. I'll use them again.

8. the_utp

the_utp Tele-Meister

I just put a Mighty Mite neck on a partscaster I built. The fretwork was generally very good -- no fret edges hanging over the fretboard, and a clean finish a decent (but not mirror) polish.

But as others have pointed out, there are issues. First, the fit to the body pocket was a too tight. A little sanding fixed that, which took some finish off the neck. Also, once I got the neck on the guitar and got it strung up, I discovered that the very highest frets needed a little bit of leveling. They played fine for chords and strumming, but when I played leads and bent notes, the strings would fret out.

The nut is pretty awful. First, it's cheap plastic. Second, the slots in mine were cut too deep, leading to fret buzz at the first fret. You have two options: Install a new nut (the best option) or mix together a paste of superglue and baking powder to make a filler paste for the current nut. Fill up the slots, let the paste harden, and then shape and file as usual.

And finally, the finish is pretty much non-existent. It's very thin. However, it's also very fast. But you are probably going to have to put a new finish on these necks. For me, that wasn't a problem, as I like a gunstock-oil finish and planned to strip the neck anyhow.

The bottom line is that these are cheap necks -- $90 is the most you should pay. If you have the time, tools and inclination to do a little work on them, I think they're a good deal. The wood looks good; they just need a little final finishing attention.

As for the MIM comparison: I have seen some great MIM necks and some very lousy ones. I would say the mighty mite stuff is on par with the best MIM stuff. And I hear there are some folks on e-Bay selling mighty mites that have been pre-fret leveled. Either way, just remember that you get what you pay for. A $90 neck isn't going to be as nice as a Warmoth or Allparts, but with a little effort it will make a great playing instrument.

9. telecster

telecster Tele-Meister

Beautiful Birdseye. I thought I might have had a trusrod issue. They were very responsive and said they would be happy to exchange for a new one.
    It turned out to be fine and I am so happy with this Strat that I built from parts here and there. I would not hesitate to purchase another neck from them. The fret work was perfect. This is a Mighty Mite Neck.

10. Quintin

Quintin Tele-Meister

I've used a couple of MM necks and they're definitely nice. It did need fret and nut work, but overall good. I'd say they are nicer than comparable MIM necks. The heel was wider than the American standard that needed some work to get right. Either way, before I made my first neck, this was a heck of a better job than I could have done.

11. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

MM necks look just like the Mexi Fender necks to me?

12. chiro972

chiro972 TDPRI Member

Do the eden necks ever come with correct headstock shape? The only ones I have seen have paddle heads. For those of us without routers, that still isn't much good. I'm looking to build a cheapie to have at the office to play between patients and would love to find a decent but cheap neck for that project, but the eden's don't look like they fit the bill. (at least the ones on ebay)

13. ssureshot

ssureshot TDPRI Member

I have used two eden necks and both were pretty darn good. I bought a Strat style and an off the wall neck from them. They both were damn good for the money.

Specially the off the wall... I made an offer for 20 and it accepted.... lol

It changed my ASH SXT's sound quite a bit. Livened it up.. I play it all the time now as compared to never before...

14. robweb2000

robweb2000 NEW MEMBER!

I just bought and installed a new MM neck on my tele and am very happy with its quality. Although some have complained about fretwork being sub-par, mine came perfect. The plastic nut caused open-string buzzing: after close inspection, I noticed that the slots in the nut were cut flat, instead of back-angled with the headstock. I replaced this with a bone nut and the buzzing stopped. The finish is very light, but still remains smooth. Overall a good neck in my opinion.

15. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather use the MIM neck if I were you. The only mighty mite neck I ever bought was a disapointment to say the least. The nut is horrible and needs to be reworked if not replaced altogether. The fret ends on mine hung way out and they needed to be leveled and crowned too. Lastly there was a spot where the skunk stripe appeared to have been broken at one point but still inserted in two pieces, this in turn caused a finish flaw that you could feel with your left hand as you played.

I have never had any of these issues with any Fender necks other than their korean stuff. I'm sure an MIM neck will be fine. And if you purchase a mighty mite neck you may save some money, but by the time you hire someone to get it just right (if you can't do it) you could have bought a high quality Warmoth or USACG neck that will probably need nothing.

16. telecster

telecster Tele-Meister

The neck I put on my start clone was awesome.
    They were even ready to stand by it when I thought I had
    a truss rod issue. Neck was completely finished beautifully.

17. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

I bought a Mity Might vintage V from JC's Guitars off ebay and it is awesome. Nut needed to changed but I knew that when I bought it...Frets were leveled, crowned and polished...ready to go. Has a nice bit of flame in it. $120 or so shipped for the one I bought.

18. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

I just got a mighty mite neck for my upcoming build. Seems like very good quality, though I agree with the others in that they do usually need some fret work and a new nut.

19. Worn

Worn Tele-Holic

I'm happy with the Mighty Mite rosewood necks I've had, though I did prefer the MIM maple over the Mighty Mite maple fretboard. I just ordered another Mighty Mite rosewood neck the other day. MIM, MM, Squier - found all will need a little attention with a file.

20. Feargal

Feargal Tele-Holic

There's an e-bay guy that is supposed to be a good guy to buy them off, "jc guitars" or somthing, I havn't tried a mm neck but I have a project in mind for one and when I do I'll probably buy it off him, that name keeps coming up on here as a reliable source.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.