1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Might need to take a break from Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you'll get $600 for a used Asian Epiphone that lists for $499 full price from an online retailer that doesn't charge shipping and often will give a discount if you phone in your order.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-ej-160e-acoustic-electric-guitar

A lot of people around here think $100 is too high for a used case.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/what’s-a-80-90s-fender-hardshell-case-worth.1069239/

Brand new even the nicest Epi case is only $129.00

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-edread-dreadnought-hardshell-case

AmpHandle likes this.
  2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Refer to my Les Paul thread a few days ago for clarification on "Viola!" :)

Preacher likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

OP definitely has had a bad run. If you buy/sell gear over the Internet there will always be a bad transaction now and then. But in my experience the vast majority
    go smoothly. I do agree that selling things like non-vintage effects pedals is generally a lot easier. Less chance for damage, less nitpicking about condition, etc.

I don't like selling to collectors or re-sellers. The collectors nitpick over the most ridiculous things. The re-sellers are just trying to get a killer deal on price. And of
    course there are the scammers, though I've been lucky on that front so far. I like selling to people more like me-- players who just want player's gear at a fair price,
    who know what stuff should cost, and actually take the time to look at the photos, read the ad carefully, and don't expect anything other than what the ad promises.
    And who ask questions before hitting the buy button if they have any questions.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Selling things is a money grab? You don't say....

5. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Always had good luck selling with both Reverb and eBay. Haven't used them for a couple of years and probably won't anymore. Basically because I just read about too much stuff like the OP mentioned. It's not worth it. Seems like there are a lot more folks are on the sketchier side lately.

Craigslist has been great since it's face to face.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've never bought or sold anything on Reverb.

Plenty of my pals have. Some have horror stories.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And I’m okay with that. But it’s not leaving my house for less than $600. :D

jfgesquire likes this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I never sold online. I bought a couple things from reverb, but I don’t anymore. Prices are absolutely stupid. Like, beyond any reasonable dollar amount for what people are selling. Most of the stuff is priced more than I can buy it new for. Then they want shipping on top of that? Not even worth shopping there anymore.

Some have said “I price high so I can negotiate!”. Sorry. I’m out. I don’t want to negotiate. The whole reason to buy online to begin with is so I DON’T HAVE TO TALK TO OR DEAL WITH PEOPLE. At all. I see what I want for a fair price, I buy it. It ships to my house. Done. That used to work great. Now everyone wants to play games. Guess I’ll just stick to local stores for used gear, and Sweetwater for new.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    archtop_fjk, Dave W and puddin like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

people treat shops like their servants. people expect small shops to have the same policies/same level of ass kissery as bigger players who can throw money around.

with the move of smaller shops to platforms like ebay and reverb, people take that same "customer is always right" attitude out on individual sellers. they seem to have no ability to realize whether they're dealing with sweetwater, a mom and pop, or just an individual guy trying to get rid of stuff, and don't adjust their behavior or expectations accordingly.

i have a personal policy that i will not sell to people who accost me in messages. i can identify the red flags and smell a problem buyer a mile away. even if they offer me the right price, i still pass and ghost them because i can tell from their language or conduct they're not going to be worth it. and 90% of the time, i'm right - they continue messaging me after i disengage and the messages get more desperate or insulting. i'd rather just wait it out for a reasonable buyer.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, good comments overall. Most transactions, the vast majority, go fine, whether it's Reverb, Craigslist, whatever. But the occasional ones that go wrong definitely leave a bad taste. Most of the time it's easy to spot the flakes. Especially CL, where you can talk to the person more easily. Reverb is a little more impersonal. But for that reason some people treat you like they would a retail store. Dude, you want new, buy new. My thing is used, that's why it costs less!

Jakedog likes this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I don't sell anything unless it is to someone that I know- and then I usually just give it to them. I don't have the patience to deal with idiots.

Or just trade gear in at GC or Music Go Round. Sure, you won't get the best price, but it is painless transaction. No phone calls, emails, or drama.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

I recommend selling at your asking price and blowing off any customer "offers" If it's priced correctly it will sell at that price. I like C/L a lot better than offer up.

sax4blues likes this.
  13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I've bought a few things on Reverb, no sales.
    For sales I've used CL many times and interestingly,
    my all time worst transaction was a CL sale.
    I was living in Austin - tons of CL sales and good prices.
    I sold a RNP (2ch preamp) to a guy at a fair price.
    It was in perfect working order.
    He tries it at his house and it doesn't work right.
    I agreed with him that it sounded bad and said I would take it back with full refund. That didn't make him happy.
    He took it to the manufacture which just happened to be located in Austin.
    They test it and found no problem.
    Guy is still unhappy. The manufacture mentioned that power strips can cause problems.
    Guess what? It was his power strip!
    The guy never admitted he was wrong.

Mark

Marc Morfei likes this.
  14. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

There’s at least one shop in a town about 20 miles from me that will either buy second hand gear or sell on commission. They are located in a popular seaside town with a big music college so lots of customers.
    Sounds like, as they keep claiming, that using them is the best option.

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have bought and sold plenty on Reverb (and ebay before that) - I have been burned as a seller a couple of times. About a year ago, I sold a used (like new) 8 track Tascam recorder. The buyer somehow noticed that the part # of the power supply I included (the power supply that I got when I bought it, that worked perfectly) was not the recommended part number for the item as listed in the manual. I think he was trying to get me to give him a "partial refund" now that I think about it, but I don't think he ever came right out and asked for money. It got to be a ridiculous waste of time and energy. He didn't want to return the thing, he seemingly just wanted to hassle me. He left negative feedback even though I offered a full refund.

Then there was that thread recently where people were advocating nitpicking a purchase and trying to negotiate an "after-sale discount", basically extorting seller for his feedback score. Some people were defending the practice!

Add in the site fees, transaction fees, tax, and shipping, and I'll take my chances with the serial killers on Craigslist (JK, I've had almost completely great experiences on CL).

vgallagher likes this.
  16. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

forever brake...see ya reverb.. times are a changing.. I'm down to what I want to keep. Cheer's..

MervsMods likes this.
  17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I won't sell on Reverb anymore unless I absolutely have to. I still buy from there, but only because I know from my unfortunate experiences as a seller that if I buy something and it comes damaged, I will have absolutely ZERO problems getting Reverb to take my side and get me my money back. I'm mentioning this as a negative.

I sold a guitar to a guy, a beautiful, immaculate 1987 Peavey Falcon. It was shipped inside a very sturdy bag/case, wrapped in layers of bubble wrap, all that put inside a guitar bag, then that inside of an actual cardboard guitar shipping box. This is then buried in layers of tape, as is my custom.

It gets there, he immediately messages me and says the box was open and he's refusing delivery. He shows me pictures, and the box is indeed open, with most of the packing materials removed. He says that if he accepts delivery to inspect the guitar for damage, then he's stuck with it and he has already sent it back my direction. He complains that it wasn't packed in something to "weatherproof" it...

To me, it sounds like a case of buyer's remorse. The box has obviously been opened and unpacked. When I get it back I inspect it and the guitar is exactly as it was when I shipped it. Why in the world would a USPS worker completely unpack it and then stick it back in the box? Just to get a peek?

This may sound nitpicky to some, but for me it was a huge headache. I had tons of interest on that guitar, locally as well as on Reverb, could have really used the money at the time, but for almost 10 days it's locked up in a Reverb dispute. And at the end of the day, there was nothing wrong with it.

I'll probably never sell a guitar online again as long as all the major players (Reverb/Ebay/etc) are so heavily favoring the buyer.

18. MervsMods

MervsMods TDPRI Member

Me too!

puddin likes this.
  19. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Reverb doesn’t have anything to do with OP’s problem, it’s a marketplace like any other.

Where are you gonna find better selection and prices besides eBay?

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I hate the thing, utter crap on every level

AmpHandle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.