1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Might need to take a break from Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have bought and sold lots of items on Reverb over the years. I have thought of it as a great way to get in touch with a huge market of buyers/sellers, and an easy way to buy/sell used stuff as a cost-saving alternative to buying everything new, then taking a huge loss on a store trade-in. I have made several dozen transactions, every single one perfect. But lately my luck has run out. I had a little recent burst of sales activity, and 5 out of 7 deals ended up being a P.I.T.A.
    • One guy put up a big stink that the used guitar I sold him was not in perfect condition. (It was in outstanding used condition, accurately described, and I sold it for a price far below market value). Without going into the details of what ensued, let's just say it escalated beyond reason, and was a royal pain.
    • Another guy complained that an amp I sold him lacked certain bonus features that came with it brand new. Some kind of login/download code for something I never heard of. I was not even the original owner of the amp, and didn't even know what he was talking about. The amp itself was in perfect immaculate flawless condition, and accurately described in my listing. He left me a bad review.
    • The third guy was literally a lunatic. Through messages, we agreed on a price way below my asking price. When I formally offered that price, he declined it. Then he offered me $50 less than that, which I of course declined. The he got mad at me, but finally agreed to pay the original agreed-upon price. Made him another formal offer again, which he ignored. By this time some other buyer bought my item. Then the first guy got furious that I sold it, sending me vulgar messages swearing and calling me all kinds of names.
    • The fourth item, a guy bought it on a Thursday, and I shipped it the same day. First thing Monday morning, he starts sending me messages asking where it is and why hasn't the post office updated it's tracking status. I checked the tracking myself, which stated the item was due to arrive to him that day. The guy kept on complaining that he was worried and wants to know where the item is. How the hell do I know????
    • Last story. I bought one thing, a tube head. As the UPS guy is getting it out of the truck he drops it. Literally drops it on the ground, from a height of about 4 feet. Get it inside, check it out, thankfully everything is fine, it works perfectly. Whew. Two weeks later, guess what? It doesn't work. Blows a fuse every time I turn it on. Coincidence?
    All these years I have been a big proponent of buying used, since it's easy to try things out, and get your money back when you re-sell. But I do understand why some people do not have the patience for all the aggravation that comes with it. Up until now I was batting 1.000. But man I'm on a losing streak. Guess it's my turn to suffer. I need a break.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Buying used online I’ve had good experience. I’ve never sold online as I don’t want to be open to these situations.
    Selling in person ca$h, taillights warranty.

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have sold a lot on reverb and I quit doing so two years ago. I also avoid buying from that site because the used prices are astronomical most of the time. Their fees and rules are ridiculous. Everything is a money grab with Reverb.

TwoBear, Bob M, AlbertaGriff and 3 others like this.
  4. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just sold an amp on Craigslist

Try Facebook Marketplace too

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I mostly have a good experience. It's just hard to beat exposure to thousands of people when selling something.
    But as the OP posted, there are oddballs and lunatics out there that are just:
    -trouble people throughout their life
    -guys that really just want to try something cheap
    -guys with no scruples who change their minds after pushing the buy button...

There's just no way around those types except to keep in mind, if someone tries to hard for a bargain, or asks too many questions, the are almost ALWAYS trouble! Just block them when the first red flag goes up.
    Recent issues:
    -Guy bought a vintage Jensen Alnico speaker. My ad stated NOT to use it for hard playing due to age. Sold "As Is, As described"
    He insists on returning it, "just doesn't sound right". Reverb asks me to take it back ....I do. It arrives and he's punched a hole in the cone, it's an obvious speaker stud hole. The buyer never said a word about it. I took pictures and Reverb said "keep the money", they ate the loss!

Years ago I sold a Les Paul fairly cheap. it was going to the East Coast. Like the OP's experience:
    - immediately the guy starts worrying about delivery.
    -Then says he doesn't want it, "took too long".
    -Tracking says it's in his town. Then he says they didn't deliver it.
    -Then he says they came to his house but never knocked on the door.
    -I arrange for Fedex to hold for pickup. I Google map and it's nearby. Then I tell him to go pick it up at Fedex, they are 1.5 miles from his house.
    -He does
    - then he insists on returning it.
    -Then It's damaged in return shipment.
    -Fedex pays for it. I keep it for free.

dr_tom, Marc Morfei and Telekarster like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine selling on Reverb to people like this.

I prefer local CL or FB Marketplace or Offer Up, far less hassle and I meet you in a well lit location in the middle of a hundred people to make the deal. Then I block your number from my phone. Viola!

TwoBear, dr_tom, Antoon and 2 others like this.
  7. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I've been very lucky with Reverb but so far I've only bought stuff and I'm not a lunatic. I've sold stuff online in the past but I'm not likely to do so in the future for all the reasons mentioned here. An unreasonable buyer can make the seller's life difficult for sure.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I quit Reverb last year because of their imposed changes in the selling process (and other reasons). Although most of my selling up to that point had been relatively problem free, when I read stories like the OP's, I'm glad I'm out.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Never sold on Reverb but I’ve bought a dozen times. I’ve been really pleased. Everything has arrived on time and shipped quickly. To be fair I have bought pedals and accessories, not instruments. So the risk of a pedal showing up worse than when it shipped is pretty small. I avoid buying used instruments online except GC or similar when I can have it shipped to a store, somehow that gives me peace of mind.

10. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I think that the probability of buying/selling nightmares grow geometrically with the physical size (and typically the associated higher value) of things. I find that with pedals, eurorack, microphones, rack gear, etc there's little trouble. Guitars and amps have a different market that seems to have more crazies.

But this post is a good reminder of some best practices:
    1. Always use the Reverb safe shipping thing.
    2. If a delivery driver drops a package, document the **** out it, file a report immediately, and (most importantly) don't throw the packaging away.
    3. Unless you are an actual legitimate dealer, sell everything as-is.

kingofdogs1950 and Telekarster like this.
  11. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Keep it simple.

Meet face to face.

Buyer inspects goods.

Goods are exchanged for cash.

All sales are final.

Anything more complex invites abuse.

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I've never sold on Reverb but I was actually planning to cause I need to thin the herd. I guess I'll have to rethink that... I didn't want to sell on ebay for similar reasons regarding costs of selling, but I hear there's all sorts of wack going on like you describe there as well. So.... hmmmm.... what to do? TDPRI Classifieds? Im not comfortable with CL or FB cause ya just never know these days who you're really meeting... so it's a security issue for me on that point, especially when fairly large amounts of cash are at stake... :confused:

13. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I've sold on ebay pretty successfully, had one guy return a guitar, the rest went pretty well. I haven't sold anything for several years though. I just hate the hassle of it. I've never sold anything on reverb. I prefer local sales but have to do it when my wife's not home or out of town, she doesn't like people at the house, even if I only have them in the garage. It's kind of hard to sell an electric guitar in a parking lot. I suppose I could invest in a pignose battery amp. With CL, weeding through the flakes can be a hassle.
    I have around 25 guitars right now and I'd like to get rid of about 10. These are not really high dollar guitars and many are partscasters. I'm almost to the point of just donating them to a music program and taking the write off. OR I might put an add on CL and just have a guitar garage sell on a Saturday from like 9-noon.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've had really good luck through Reverb and most of my purchases are from there. You're going to have crazies everywhere. I have a guy keep sending me ads where the Epiphone EJ-160E is for sale for $499 on Sweetwater. Yeah, the one made in Indonesia that doesn't come with a case. Then one that sold on Reverb for $350. Okay, when was that sale? Over eighteen months ago? Because everything was cheaper then and if you can find one for either of those prices, buy it. But you're still going to have to pay tax and maybe buy a case, too. I want $600 for mine. Talk me down to that price.

15. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I had a guy on Reverb claim that a Les Paul had a broken neck in shipping. He had no feedback which makes me nervous as there's no track record of his buying to know if he's legit or not. Anyway, a broken LP neck is not something out of the realm of reason. I offered a refund and return label immediately but he said he wanted to try and fix it.

Then the weirdness happened. I asked for photos of the packaging and the guitar and he got really wishy-washy. He never supplied pics of the packaging and only supplied an extreme close-up of a broken neck which looked like it wasn't even the same shade to me. I know that sometimes cameras and lighting distort that stuff so it was possible, but I got the scammer vibe. Luckily, I had Reverb shipping protection on it so I handed it off to them.

The A-hole left me one-star feedback because he wasn't happy with Reverb's settlement. I sent him an email asking why the one star when I immediately offered a refund and return label and he said the feedback was for Reverb, not me. The idiot never even tried to correct the feedback which is the only negative mark on my record.

Dealing with the idiot buyer was a horrible experience, but I'm glad I had the Reverb protection. Reverb came through. I'm 90% sure he was a scammer.

I've noticed I have more problems when I list things below their market value for a quick sale. For some reason, the bargain hunters have been more unreasonable in my experience.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I was considering jumping into selling some things on Reverb. My King of Tone, Keeley Compressor and TWE pedals were to be first on the list. I have now reconsidered.

I have long been reticent about selling on-line. I stopped buying via eBay and Reverb years ago. It boils down to this: some folks are honest, fair and reasonable while others are devious, dishonest or unreasonable. Other folks may be OCD; have too much angst or be predisposed to "buyers remorse."

Screw it.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  17. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I had someone complain because the fretboard was "dirty" and he spent "hours" cleaning it. Other than that, I've had nothing but good experiences.

I did sell a motorcycle helmet on line once. It was immaculate and I laid out all of the parts and photographed everything. The guy that bought it complained because it was missing something. I said, "I laid out all of the parts and took pics, why did you think that was included?"

18. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yeah. The last item I sold on there was the last one I'm gonna. And, I'll not purchase anything but new gear w/ 100% no questions asked return policy from now on.

19. Bongoslade

Bongoslade TDPRI Member

as they say... there's a song in there somewhere?
    I know a little of what you mean Marc

went to sell ONE NECK on eBay then took it down after talking to a guy in bloody ole England who wanted it - in the listing it specifically sez "no overseas sales" and in the end I sold it to someone else in Baltimore I think??
    and the Brit gave me a bad rating - sha - as if...!

so it's user error again me thinks

20. secretsoundz

secretsoundz TDPRI Member

I refuse to use Reverb. Was a great place in the early years, not anymore.

puddin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.