Might be a bit high

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SacDAve, Sep 28, 2021.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Awful clean but yeah awful high

3. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

As if.

4. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Pretty optomistic. He's hoping some rich guy will bite...

5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

No amp is worth that much to me but for others...

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

you think he'd at least pick up the shipping.

Blue Bill, SacDAve and nojazzhere like this.
  7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

- oh wait, what?! :)

57joonya likes this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Blue Bill, 57joonya, NTC and 2 others like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If that is really the 29th unit like the serial number suggests, then maybe? That is still suspect.

Telekarster likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t see anything ‘suspect’ there. The seller provides pictorial proof of all he claims. That serial number is there on both the tube chart and the chassis. It is as he states very early. Excellent + condition, imho. Price??? If you don’t ask for it, you won’t get it. One can always come down, but this one might be the best of an early small box 5E3 one could hope to find.
    there is no comparable listed on Reverb.com. There is another ‘55, but it has some kind of metal dust cover Jensen in it, and there is not enough info to compare the rest of the details….and they are asking $7500. ????
    If I owned this one, I would be proud of it, too.

muscmp and Lone_Poor_Boy like this.
  11. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Man, if only at least the shipping was free! :D

unixfish likes this.
  12. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow!!! And here I was sweating over whether or not to throw down 3K for a 56 Pro.... LOL!!! Decided against it cause I can use that jing elsewhere :cool:

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see threads like this a lot.

What is the purpose? Actually asking.

Whatever the item is, if it’s listed too high it won’t sell at that price.

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I once owned a dead mint 1957 5F1 Champ…..showing exactly NO wear…dead mint. If it had been in the original box, it would have been NOS/Nib classification. A vintage shop located on Sunset Blvd had a ‘bird dog’ that visited me regularly. They liked my vintage amps because…as they put it…they sounded great and were ready to sell. They would give me what I was asking the locals here for them, and they were able to make good profit in Cali. They tried to buy this little Champ for years…while the market value kept going
    up, right?? Anyway, they finally gave me what I was asking…which was $1550 maybe 16 years ago….top of the market.
    After the deal was done, the bird dog told me that the owner of the shop told him to tel” me that he had NEVER given that much for a tweed Champ. I told them that they had never bought one that clean, either…they agreed…obviously.
    That amp made this one at Reverb.com look really sad..
    https://reverb.com/item/44130773-1957-fender-champ-5f1-narrow-panel-5-watt-1x8-guitar-combo?bk=

So, IF I had that 5F1 today in the same condition, it would be over $5k asking price, imho. It was in much better cosmetic condition than the 5E3 at Reverb. Hey, the last 5E3 I had was also dead mint…it would make the Reverb.com amp take a back seat. I got only $1550 and shipping for it maybe 20 years ago. I never should have sold quite a few of the things I have owned, right?

ArcticWhite likes this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just drive to Seattle and pick it up. That is only a 40-44 hour drive. Easy peasy.

16. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

This shop prices things like this regularly...what will it sell for in the end? The days where there is a huge difference between the Fender that came out of grampa's garage that was found at an estate sale and the eventual retail price in a major market city have long ago ended. People know what stuff is worth and you might think that the buy low, sell-high margins would completely evaporate as information becomes so universally disseminated. Instead, I see some retailers buying fairly high and then listing at astronomical prices. Does it always sell? Does it sell near asking price? I am not sure, but this less labor intensive form of scavenging puts upward pressure on market pricing in the aggregate. I was following a guitar on Reverb last year that was already pretty high in the price range. I lost out to these guys, waiting too long to increase my offer. The same guitar shows up on their shop page for a thousand more than they paid for it the week before...and it still sold again...who knows? It is not the responsibility of the entrepreneurial retailer to contain price inflation, but I hate to see speculation become such an integral part of this pastime.

17. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

`
    It depends...

If you have some disposable income and want a cool old amp just because it's cool and old, that's one thing, but if you really think it has some sort of special mojo just because its "vintage", well, that's an entirely different thing altogether.

All I can say is that my 2019 Fender '57 Custom Deluxe sounds as good as it gets (to me), so that thing would technically have to sound at least six times better before even considering that price - and there's no way anyone can guarantee that it will even sound "as good" as mine - especially when "as good" is so subjective.

Besides, I'm not really interested in possessing a museum piece that I can't push too hard for fear of having the value drop if I accidentally fry the transformer or blow the speaker, so I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out all that much by not owning it.

I'm not saying it ain't worth the asking price, I'm just saying it ain't worth it to me - since I'm already super delighted with the one I got...

57 Custom Deluxe a.JPG

`

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.