Midweek Backing Track(s) - Your Choice 11.03.21

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I think all my tracks are starting to sound alike!!
Tele neck pickup straight into Garageband

Are you also saying that you play all or most of your tracks with the tele neck pickup? That tone sounds perfectly fine to me, if anything it sounds a little more present or biting than most neck pickups-which is totally cool but is that holding you back from using the rear pickup, which I'm only guessing would sound more present and biting, but possibly more than you would like? Is that what you were getting at or did I completely misread that.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I seem to be getting a little burned out for some reason. #1 here. At first I thought it was too slow for me, so a raised the tempo quite a bit but it seemed to ruin the flow of the song (at least for me).
So back to the original and mistakes and all.

4 minutes is a long time to solo and feel like you're not repeating some things. I can almost guarantee you hear your mistakes a lot more than other people do, I know I do. I constantly play things that I think are really bad mistakes and when I go back and listen to them in context I find it's much easier to leave them than to do the whole track over, as I record into a two track looper and I don't have any overdub capabilities. I remember very well some iconic killer live recordings where my guitar heroes were in the middle of a solo and whacked and a or an e string and you knew it was a mistake because it was the same mistake that we make. I think this conversation is directing a little outward as you've already admitted to including mistakes, and I usually record two or three passes and just include my favorite no matter if there's mistakes or not. It makes us stronger eh? When I do slow ones like this I usually throw in some verb and delay or one or the other. What am I talking about I usually drench everything in a bunch of effects, I'm waiting for somebody to tell me it's too much...hahaha!

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Are you also saying that you play all or most of your tracks with the tele neck pickup? That tone sounds perfectly fine to me, if anything it sounds a little more present or biting than most neck pickups-which is totally cool but is that holding you back from using the rear pickup, which I'm only guessing would sound more present and biting, but possibly more than you would like? Is that what you were getting at or did I completely misread that.
Maybe I misled you instead of you misreading. I rarely play the tele neck pickup, and don't play the tele often at all. I was more referring to my seemingly more limited vocabulary of guitar licks. Old age is taking a toll in more ways than one!
My goto pickup is always the bridge of any of my guitars.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I seem to be getting a little burned out for some reason. #1 here. At first I thought it was too slow for me, so a raised the tempo quite a bit but it seemed to ruin the flow of the song (at least for me).
So back to the original and mistakes and all.

You're a very good player, saying you get burned out is interesting, I got thinking about it and here's my thought, this is a long bt, perhaps it's too long to sound fresh, and I mean playing as well as your tone. After a couple minutes of soloing I feel my ears are satiated and ready for new stimulus.

I'm well aware of this jam situation and I have for the most part, two ways to keep interest up. First is to fade out after 2:30ish.

The second way is to turn the long bt into a song, with different sections like 8 bar AABA with a solo section in the form, or 12 bar, or whatever.

What you are doing sounds like you are playing a wonderful solo to a tune that doesn't exist. My suggestion is to write the missing tune. It fills up four minutes very quickly and, it's great for exploring writing.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
turn the long bt into a song, with different sections like 8 bar AABA with a solo section in the form, or 12 bar, or whatever.

What you are doing sounds like you are playing a wonderful solo to a tune that doesn't exist. My suggestion is to write the missing tune. It fills up four minutes very quickly and, it's great for exploring writing.

That's what I do.
I can't 'solo' for 4 minutes - at least in any kind of continually interesting way.

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Right off story like lines, I'm in. It takes me to Norway, not the Fjords, a moderately small but hip little college village/town. And the women are as beautiful as women are beautiful. Nice
Apparently some of the guys are beautiful too because a kid transferred into my junior high school from there and he had that last name, and all the girls found him super handsome. We became buddies and I was quickly introduced inEdit-I never finished that-but I was quickly introduced into the world of being the buddy of the guy that all the girls wanted to get with. It was definitely a step up from where I was, heck it was a couple steps up!
Maybe I misled you instead of you misreading. I rarely play the tele neck pickup, and don't play the tele often at all. I was more referring to my seemingly more limited vocabulary of guitar licks. Old age is taking a toll in more ways than one!
My goto pickup is always the bridge of any of my guitars.
OK I hear you now. So what about some effects. Sometimes on slower songs (i’m just using that same song as an example) a delay can help, like one that you could bounce notes off of, sort of help think of new ideas rhythmically, or there’s that chicken pick’n thing that uses one repeat at about 280 or 300 ms? You don’t have to play fast with that one, you actually just play slowly and let the repeats bounce. You don’t have the chicken pick, I am weak at that, but I use it in other types of music as a rhythmic change. That was just a quick thinking out loud but for all I know you might not even want to play with FX?

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
You're a very good player, saying you get burned out is interesting, I got thinking about it and here's my thought, this is a long bt, perhaps it's too long to sound fresh, and I mean playing as well as your tone. After a couple minutes of soloing I feel my ears are satiated and ready for new stimulus.

I'm well aware of this jam situation and I have for the most part, two ways to keep interest up. First is to fade out after 2:30ish.

The second way is to turn the long bt into a song, with different sections like 8 bar AABA with a solo section in the form, or 12 bar, or whatever.

Yes definitely, and on some of them I found places to insert different chords to suggest a change, and on another that was very simple I wanted to inject parts from the song Shaft, because it was playing in the background and it fit. I just couldn’t duplicate it because I didn’t know that I could just run the computer cable out of my PC through my pod go, and it would come out along with my guitar. I tried sampling the part or starting YouTube in the right place, and it turned out to be much easier to do, I found that out later, after I had already stopped trying.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
4 minutes is a long time to solo and feel like you're not repeating some things. I can almost guarantee you hear your mistakes a lot more than other people do, I know I do. I constantly play things that I think are really bad mistakes and when I go back and listen to them in context I find it's much easier to leave them than to do the whole track over, as I record into a two track looper and I don't have any overdub capabilities. I remember very well some iconic killer live recordings where my guitar heroes were in the middle of a solo and whacked and a or an e string and you knew it was a mistake because it was the same mistake that we make. I think this conversation is directing a little outward as you've already admitted to including mistakes, and I usually record two or three passes and just include my favorite no matter if there's mistakes or not. It makes us stronger eh? When I do slow ones like this I usually throw in some verb and delay or one or the other. What am I talking about I usually drench everything in a bunch of effects, I'm waiting for somebody to tell me it's too much...hahaha!

Edit-There’s some great out of tune playing and a couple good gaffs on live Band of Gypsies, but I wouldn’t change a note. I think Clapton smacks his low E in the middle of the live Crossroads solo-The old original album version, probably the first one before the proliferation of Internet takes. It’s out of context and it sounds wrong but he’s just blazing along and probably everyone would identify with that same sound from playing in their bedroom, Or even live in a club, we all make them. One funny note-watching Larry Carlton at the old Golden Bear and he is just ripping in the old Mr. 335 days. He’s been ripping, all night, and ripping a new one into the speakers of his Boogies, and someone yells out ‘ hey play a mistake‘-and of course without skipping a beat he does and goes right back into it. I’ve got a great story about trombone virtuoso Bill Watrous that relates. I sense I’ve been long-winded again, so I’ll save it for another time.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I guess I'll kick it off (#1):

Hey did you just get out of jail-this track sounds like you’re playing with more conviction! Ahahaha… but seriously it sounds like you’re tearing into it more…Assured maybe is the word? Or more abandon or something? Maybe you were mad, that used to work for me, But I can’t remember the last time I got mad at anything.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Hey did you just get out of jail-this track sounds like you’re playing with more conviction! Ahahaha… but seriously it sounds like you’re tearing into it more…Assured maybe is the word? Or more abandon or something? Maybe you were mad, that used to work for me, But I can’t remember the last time I got mad at anything.

No, unfortunately I'm still in lock up Lawrence. The prison rec's music program is cool though.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
No, unfortunately I'm still in lock up Lawrence. The prison rec's music program is cool though.
Yeah I remember Clint Eastwood played accordion, It helped him ‘escape’ the doldrums of being in that prison on the island in the San Francisco Bay.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I remember Clint Eastwood played accordion, It helped him ‘escape’ the doldrums of being in that prison on the island in the San Francisco Bay.

Yeah, that was the start of the Scared Straight Program in the Supermax I stayed at, that and my soapbar Gibby, that I quickly got rid of.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Thanks, Alan. I've been on TDPRI for over a decade. I just never had the time to post anything. I retired last year so now I have some spare time!

Congrats on the retirement. I retired a year or so ago as well and that has allowed me to work on my playing. We have some great talent and players on here.