Midweek Backing Track(s) - Your Choice 10.20.21

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
#2 track. Tried to attack a little, more flat out than usually.

Nah...deleted.

Should've played it few times to get it better. And wait for ear fatigue to go away before putting online.

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Here are this week's MidWeek backers:

Have fun!

MP3s:

Oh man you fooled around and did it this time! well you don’t fool around and you get it done every time, but Elvin Bishop is one of my favorites and that tune is maybe one of the best of all time, certainly top five Bar room songs, whether you’re alone or with someone you love, it still works. Plus there’s Mickey’s singing and wasn’t Robben in that band also? I’m pretty sure one of my favorite bass players that I ever worked with burnin’ Vernon Porter played in the band also, on some live dates or recording. A funny aside-I’ve had this lick in my mind that I’ve tried to work into the last two weeks songs, and just couldn’t do it. I didn’t even remember where it came from until I just heard the song and that’s where it came out of! Sort of a bluesy build up to a simple hammer on, hammer on, pull off pull off, And a little blues lick into the next? Oh yeah he was a picker all right! Ol’ E.B. Sitting on a bale of hay! Yay!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
#2 for me. One of my all time favorite songs. *I changed the title of the download before I imported it into my daw. Maybe that helped to not draw any attention.
Did you change the word love to mud or nub? Or are you across the pond and used knob-Nob? Of course I’m kidding but that was a killing version! Lots of feeling! It sounds great just on my little iPhone I can’t wait to plug it in to the big stuff. And I love the little flurry at the end sort of like the old Steely Dan-You should’ve hid it in the mix so we had to crank up the volume to hear it! Ha

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Alan!

I did a quick down and dirty take on the second one and tried to "fool" soundcloud. Used the piano roll and mouse for the strings and Strat.

Very cool I dig it and your tone at times is like a piano string or bell! And that’s just thru my little iPhone. I like the pauses in between in the air you give the phrases. Like a horn player. It’s something I used to get complimented on and I’m trying to get back. May I ask, what is it you were referring to when you said piano roll and mouse? I heard strings on yours that I don’t think I heard on the original here? And I see the 335 style pictured but are you saying you played it on the Strat? It does sound that way. Thx, LT

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
soundcloud is awful lol, I did the second one but it wont post
I am so much happier since I changed over to sound click!!!! I can edit the order I can delete songs I can change their names all things I could not do or figure out how to do it SoundCloud. All without commercials/Interruptions so far, and the quality is much better. The sound was always garbled when it got sent to SoundCloud, and there haven’t been any drop outs since using SoundClick. Plus I just get my music when I go there not 1 million other peoples, 1,000,010 of which I don’t care about, well scratch that, 999,997…I like two people besides me.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
He-he-he...
Speaking of envelope cuts, I’ve been watching/ listening to A couple hours of George Duke Billy Cobham live, Back when Scofield could smoke on stage, and what is the Bass players name Alfonso Johnson? Seemed he always wore white pants with a red and white striped top, like Gilligan escaped from jail! Man those were the years of VCO’s and envelope filters and followers!

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Oh man you fooled around and did it this time! well you don’t fool around and you get it done every time, but Elvin Bishop is one of my favorites and that tune is maybe one of the best of all time, certainly top five Bar room songs, whether you’re alone or with someone you love, it still works. Plus there’s Mickey’s singing and wasn’t Robben in that band also? I’m pretty sure one of my favorite bass players that I ever worked with burnin’ Vernon Porter played in the band also, on some live dates or recording. A funny aside-I’ve had this lick in my mind that I’ve tried to work into the last two weeks songs, and just couldn’t do it. I didn’t even remember where it came from until I just heard the song and that’s where it came out of! Sort of a bluesy build up to a simple hammer on, hammer on, pull off pull off, And a little blues lick into the next? Oh yeah he was a picker all right! Ol’ E.B. Sitting on a bale of hay! Yay!

It's a beautiful song for sure Lawrence. I'm not sure of the musicians other than Mickey Thomas doing the vocals.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
I am so much happier since I changed over to sound click!!!! I can edit the order I can delete songs I can change their names all things I could not do or figure out how to do it SoundCloud. All without commercials/Interruptions so far, and the quality is much better. The sound was always garbled when it got sent to SoundCloud, and there haven’t been any drop outs since using SoundClick. Plus I just get my music when I go there not 1 million other peoples, 1,000,010 of which I don’t care about, well scratch that, 999,997…I like two people besides me.

Yeah, you don't need that aggravation when managing your music - I get that.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
It's a beautiful song for sure Lawrence. I'm not sure of the musicians other than Mickey Thomas doing the vocals.
Yeah I don’t think Robben Ford played on the song, and I don’t think Vernon played bass on this, but pretty sure they were members of the band at one time, although not at the same time? I’ve seen Elvin play on all kinds of equipment through the years, including old tweed era Bassman amplifiers, But I think it was Vernon that told me From the years of touring he was completely happy with a duo of solid state Fender deluxe type of blackface amplifiers? The duo was probably born from having a back up right there at the ready, Probably already on and running so you just cut power to the other one that went out anyway.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's

Cool tone and I appreciated your unrushed feel. I liked the delay also did it have duck on it, as it never seemed to overtake the lead and the reverb also seemed to be there and not to be there… hey I wonder if Shakespeare played guitar, or lute, lyre or cithern, What am I talking about he must’ve played a wind instrument! Duh.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the track(s)!

This challenged me in a good way to look at some things. I played a few takes, hard to execute perfectly, so this one ain't either, but it felt good so here we go:

Have you not had tracks here in a while? I mean like only a month or so? I’m pretty sure it was you that put up one of my favorites, it was just so left-field from everything anyone was doing and that made it super cool! I kept thinking what made him think of that, as most of the other cuts including mine were pretty much in the same vein. To me, that made yours the most inspiring! Coupled with that great picture that my girl said-‘ now that’s a guy that will pull over and help you change your tire‘, I say keep them coming. And if She was correct please be careful because no joke one of her old boyfriends, who was a well liked acquaintance of mine, and a sweetheart of a guy, pulled over to help someone change their flat and got hit and died. The world needs more happy independent thinkers, so stay safe and as I already said, keep them coming!

ghostchord

Tele-Holic
Have you not had tracks here in a while? I mean like only a month or so? I’m pretty sure it was you that put up one of my favorites, it was just so left-field from everything anyone was doing and that made it super cool! I kept thinking what made him think of that, as most of the other cuts including mine were pretty much in the same vein. To me, that made yours the most inspiring! Coupled with that great picture that my girl said-‘ now that’s a guy that will pull over and help you change your tire‘, I say keep them coming. And if She was correct please be careful because no joke one of her old boyfriends, who was a well liked acquaintance of mine, and a sweetheart of a guy, pulled over to help someone change their flat and got hit and died. The world needs more happy independent thinkers, so stay safe and as I already said, keep them coming!

Well, I'd like to think I'm the guy who will help you change your tire... But you might be mixing me up with someone else. Thanks for the compliment at any rate, I do try to do different stuff, mostly because I am still learning/figuring things out.

EDIT: It also helps that I'm totally not familiar with the original. Had to do some detective work to find it.

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Well, I'd like to think I'm the guy who will help you change your tire... But you might be mixing me up with someone else. Thanks for the compliment at any rate, I do try to do different stuff, mostly because I am still learning/figuring things out.
If you’re thinking it’s not you because you’re not super polished that wasn’t the reason. There’s so many people here and all with different levels of talent or even used to be killers and health problems, or even age, and injuries have hindered that, all the way to absolute beginners which I wish we heard more of, But I know how daunting a task that can be putting your stuff up against guys that can sound like your heroes or whatever. I wish I had the chutzpah to put my stuff up when I was beginning, because my harshest criticisms have helped me to try and get better, just as much as compliments, maybe more so, as I pondered them more to see if they were really truthful, and who was giving them and did I respect their musical opinion. I’m pretty sure it was you, As I remember thinking what was going through this persons mind and how did they come up with that and putting it together with the guy smiling in that picture, and it just seemed like somebody who would jump in feet first just to see the big splash. It definitely wasn’t super polished it was just different than everybody else’s and cool.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's

EDIT: It also helps that I'm totally not familiar with the original. Had to do some detective work to find it.
Heck maybe that’s your secret you don’t know the old tired standards!

fendrguitplayr

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Very cool I dig it and your tone at times is like a piano string or bell! And that’s just thru my little iPhone. I like the pauses in between in the air you give the phrases. Like a horn player. It’s something I used to get complimented on and I’m trying to get back. May I ask, what is it you were referring to when you said piano roll and mouse? I heard strings on yours that I don’t think I heard on the original here? And I see the 335 style pictured but are you saying you played it on the Strat? It does sound that way. Thx, LT

Thanks, I used GarageBand on a Mac for this, when adding a track you have the option of adding the piano roll and vsti's. I used a mouse to hit the keys. The 335 was for Elvin who turned 79 recently.

pr.jpg

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Besides Elvin and Mickey Thomas ...
Donny Baldwin - Drums (also to be in Starship with Mickey Thomas)
Johnny Vernazza - Rhythm Guitar
Michael Brooks - Bass Guitar
Bill Slais - Keys

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Besides Elvin and Mickey Thomas ...
Donny Baldwin - Drums (also to be in Starship with Mickey Thomas)
Johnny Vernazza - Rhythm Guitar
Michael Brooks - Bass Guitar
Bill Slais - Keys

There you go - thanks Ken!