Midweek Backing Track(s) - Your Choice 03.30.22

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
#4 (but you all knew that) ...

That was real nice. I think you captured the languid, legato feel that Antonio Carlos Jobim was going for, especially when playing the head. I've actually been to Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana beaches and I can confirm that the young Brazilian women are quite a sight to behold. Very easy to fall in love.

One tip I've heard to get good phrasing when playing a melody is to be hearing/singing/playing along to the words in your head as you play it. If you know the lyrics and how they go then you are much more likely to naturally get the right feel in your phrasing by mimicking the singer. It seems like you did that here.

Para a gente que fala portugues...the words are even better in their original Portuguese.

Last edited:

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That was real nice. I think you captured the languid, legato feel that Antonio Carlos Jobim was going for, especially when playing the head. I've actually been to Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana beaches and I can confirm that the young Brazilian women are quite a sight to behold. Very easy to fall in love.

One tip I've heard to get good phrasing when playing a melody is to be hearing/singing/playing along to the words in your head as you play it. If you know the lyrics and how they go then you are much more likely to naturally get the right feel in your phrasing by mimicking the singer. It seems like you did that here.
Thanks!
I've been hearing and playing that song since probably 1975 so yeah, I 'know' the melody, but I don't consciously sing it in my head. It's de rigueur to "know the lyrics" of the tunes you're doing instrumentally though Bill Evans - certainly no slouch, to say the least - when asked if he knew the lyrics to the standards that he played, famously responded - "No".

*I too have been to Ipenama beach (I spent about about a month in Brazil) and I can attest that it is all quite lovely.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks!
I've been hearing and playing that song since probably 1975 so yeah, I 'know' the melody, but I don't consciously sing it in my head. It's de rigueur to "know the lyrics" of the tunes you're doing instrumentally though Bill Evans - certainly no slouch, to say the least - when asked if he knew the lyrics to the standards that he played, famously responded - "No".

*I too have been to Ipenama beach (I spent about about a month in Brazil) and I can attest that it is all quite lovely.
I don't think you have to know the actual words....but to have heard the song sung by a human so you remember the phrasing and feel can be very helpful. For example, I have no idea what the heck the lyrics are to "Smells Like Teen Spirit", due to Kurt Cobain's mumble-screaming, but I certainly can hear the vocal phrasing in my head. When I play the head to Body & Soul I try to channel a bit of how Billie Holiday sung it. And when I play "My Favorite Things" I hear Julie Andrews in my head even if I don't remember every word.

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
#4 (but you all knew that) ...

Dang that's good Ken - a master class I'd say. Beautifully played with grace and ease. Your lines at the 3:26 mark made me smile. Great tone too(what guitar did you use, if I may ask?). I'm glad you participate here!

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Dang that's good Ken - a master class I'd say. Beautifully played with grace and ease. Your lines at the 3:26 mark made me smile. Great tone too(what guitar did you use, if I may ask?). I'm glad you participate here!
Thanks Alan! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know that tune inside out.
I love recording to these BTs. I've come late to the party with regard to DAW based recording and I need all the practice I can get.

I used a Gretsch 5420T (Electromatic) and a Fuchs ODS amp sim. Compression (insert), Reverb and Delay on a stereo bus in post.

Attachments

• Gretsch_5420T.jpg
    Gretsch_5420T.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: