Midweek Backing Track(s) - Your Choice 01.05.22

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
For me, anyway, if my brain is thinking chromatic it's harder for me to think about chord tones
There is this misconception that 'thinking chromatically' means thinking about and playing within the chromatic scale.

That's not it at all.

To play (or think) chromatically just means that you are aware of and will use non-chord tones and non-scale tones - usually to emphasize the chord (or scale) tones. If you pay attention to my solos on these backers you'll hear me constantly playing chromatically. One of my favorite things to do is to surround a chord tone with it's two nearest chromatic neighbors. Ex: C chord - Ab F# G (5th) Db B C (Rt) F D# E (3rd).

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
There is this misconception that 'thinking chromatically' means thinking about and playing within the chromatic scale.

That's not it at all.

To play (or think) chromatically just means that you are aware of and will use non-chord tones and non-scale tones - usually to emphasize the chord (or scale) tones. If you pay attention to my solos on these backers you'll hear me constantly playing chromatically. One of my favorite things to do is to surround a chord tone with it's two nearest chromatic neighbors. Ex: C chord - Ab F# G (5th) Db B C (Rt) F D# E (3rd).
I can't disagree with that concept. But in my case I think of it differently....I consider it thinking of "off" or "neighbor" or color notes. So I am still thinking of chord tones, but am fully aware that cool things can be done with the notes immediately adjacent to them. So in this case it's just a terminology difference, not a conceptual difference.

Len058

Tele-Meister
I really like your playing here!

How are you adding those multiple chord stops? Sounds like Jimi!

Would those be considered like double stops on triads ?
Thank you. It's E9+7 (Hendrix chord) on some turnarounds. I heard an octave slide and the rest is just two notes of the pentatonic barred together. Maybe that's a double stop but in my head they involve a hammer on.

Yours had a 'Shadows' vibe, nice

Mjea80

Tele-Meister
Thank you. It's E9+7 (Hendrix chord) on some turnarounds. I heard an octave slide and the rest is just two notes of the pentatonic barred together. Maybe that's a double stop but in my head they involve a hammer on.

Yours had a 'Shadows' vibe, nice
Cool, thanks! Ill have to try and find a tutorial on how to do that :)

Alan L Cole

Friend of Leo's
Last edited: