Midway movie (remake)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Informal, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

What a horrible movie...I saw it in spite of my hatred for terribly done CGI, because WW2 is of great fascination and interest to me.

Riddled with complete inaccuracies, and total exclusion of some of the battles biggest heroes.
    Not one single line that acknowledges Dusty Kleece?? Seriously?

Wade McClusky was a promoted from a Torpedo squadron to Dive bomb leader?

Umm, no...He was a fighter pilot before leading a Dive Bombing group.

If you liked the movie "Pearl Harbor" you may just like this as well.

idjster, 57fenderstrat and rolandson like this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Bummer...I gotta see it though. All the code breaking and stuff leading up to the battle is really cool stuff. For a history teacher this was a great battle to teach. This and Normandy were fun to teach.....we were pretty sneaky back then.

Straydogger and uriah1 like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the heads up.
    I watch the original every couple of months.
    I won't bother with this one.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Hate it when that happens.

5. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Don't mean to threadjack, but I know there are other history buffs here who might appreciate this. I saw this youtube video series a few months ago and it's really shockingly great. It's a series of youtube videos that tells the story of the battle from the Japanese perspective. I've never come across anything that does as good a job explaining why Nagumo made the (otherwise baffling) decisions he made. Highly recommended.

6. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Dissenting view here.

I saw Midway last week. The film covers a lot of ground: Yamamoto’s pre war theories, Pearl Harbor, The Doolittle Raid, Battle of the Coral Sea and yes, Midway. Overlooked details are included such as how the Japanese killed 250,000 Chinese in retaliation for assisting the Doolittle Raiders and killing captured American Flyers in cold blood. (The Chinese provided funding for the film and this was a requirement. )

Yeah, some details embellished or altered for , but this is a fun, patriotic film that moves at a brisk pace, gets many of the facts right and avoids the R-rated battle mutilation of bodies that Hollywood is fond of.

This version is light years ahead of the 1970’s film of the same total.

mudbelly likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know of a single remake that is better than the original.
    I gave up on expecting anything more of Hollywood many moons ago.

Bassman8 and 57fenderstrat like this.
  8. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I hate cgi , I like movies a lot but it seems everytime Hollywood makes a movie about something I like or something that looks cool they just ruin it. I agree with Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster and Bassman8 like this.
  9. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Probably the last movies I saw in theaters that I liked were the lord of the rings movies, then the hobbit movies came and they were appalling!

10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

About says it all.

As it so happens, this falls within the scope of my doctoral thesis. There isn't much coming out of the current China regarding the subject that ... I am willing to accept at face value.

And oddly, formal requests directed toward academic and diplomatic institutions, for documentation relating to the period, go unanswered...for two years and counting.

As for these movies, they often take significant liberties with facts and truth.

History, as they say, is written by the victors.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Very difficult to make a movie about a conflict situation. You have to be historically accurate AND sensitive to individuals and relatives who may have been part of it.Even parts of Forrest Gump could be considered offensive rather than comedic. I knew 5 forward scouts, one came home. every boy in our street ,except my twin and I, went to Vietnam and it shook me up how they had changed on return. If I were a producer I'd steer clear of such movies.
    My father and all his brothers went to New Guinea and one to Korea but they didn't talk about it. One would ask- why?

Archtop Bill likes this.
  12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

As it was a remake I wasn't making an effort to see it. Now I won't. Thanks for the head's up!

Chunkocaster and Bassman8 like this.
  13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Find and read a copy of Gordon Prange’s “Miracle at Midway.”

If you dig you should find a pdf version.

Informal likes this.
  14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I should say that that's a really good Youtube video you linked. Thanks!

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

And another view, quoted from my posts on another forum:

I can thoroughly recommend the new 2019 movie Midway to those who are interested in the subject. I am a person who studies the subject. At this poin, I have read probably more than fifteen books on the subject including Gordon Prange's Miracle at Midway and the new monograph, Never Call Me a Hero by Jack Kleiss, a Dauntless pilot who flew in the battle and scored hits on two aircraft carriers that day and on a cruiser as well before the battle was over.

There was just enough human interest in the movie to make it human. There were some technical errors but there always are. The was a bunch of CGI but none of the stupid non-ballistic Star Wars movements that hampered Red Tails and many other CGI movies and the CGI was, frankly, believable. There was no sex. There were few invented characters.

I expect this movie will turn into a litmus test for viewers in that the movie makers seem to believe in real people who step up to the plate and do what has to be done. There's no nihilism, none of that "life's a ----- and then you die" crap. No love triangle. Just an attempt to portray the events accurately and in a way that maintains interest.

In my humble opinion it is worth your while and worth your money. I plan it add it to my collection.​

The Douglas SBD Dauntless was equipped with two forward-firing Browning M2 .50 cal. machine guns synchronized to fire through the propeller. They were intended to be used for either defensive or offensive fire. There were many historical instances of Dauntless bomber crews protecting themselves by defensive dogfighting. It was, in fact, typical and expected for the dive bomber crews to strafe ships that they passed over at the end of their hair-raising 19,000 foot dive. Lt. Jack Kleiss does, in fact record holding his dive on the Hiryu until his pull-out put him at wave-top height. The action in the trailer that shows Dick Best in combat going vertical, pulling back his throttle, and falling off on a wing, accompanied by a star-wars chop-chop slow-down sound, was only for the trailer. He was portrayed doing that in training without the futuristic sound. The Dick Best "flying down the flight deck of the Hiryu before releasing his bomb at the bow" scene was inaccurate in both technique and historical fact. Lt. Jack Kleiss was the pilot who dropped on the bow of the Hiryu with the resultant explosion 'curling up the front edge of the flight deck like a taco.'

There is also a scene at the beginning where Dick Best does a dead-stick, flapless landing on the Enterprise. The event was portrayed with far too high an angle of attack but with proper opposing stick and rudder technique. The point in all of this was to show Best's character change from being a hot dog at the beginning to a responsible leader during the battle.

The actions of aircraftsman Bruno Gaido, portrayed by Nick Jonas, might be considered by some to be over the top and unrealistic. However, a little historical study reveals that he did, in fact, jump in the gunner's position of an SBD sitting on the flight deck while the Enterprise was being attacked by a kamikaze in February 1942. He did, in fact, single-handedly shoot down the kamikaze. The kamikaze did, in fact, pass through Gaido's plane and cut it in half as he was shooting and then went over the side of the flight deck. Gaido then grabbed a fire extinguisher and calmly put out the fire coming from his plane. He then he went below decks to hide because he knew he had abandoned his action station in order to jump in the plane and shoot (not portrayed). He was, in fact, promoted on the spot by Bull Halsey.

So yes, there are inaccuracies of execution but not of result. Some things are pushed a little over the top but many of the things portrayed actually happened.
    Besides, where else are you going to see a depiction of the only torpedo attack of the war launched by B-26 bombers?

Bob

Mad Kiwi and Archtop Bill like this.
  16. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

What I am hearing from the various history guys reviews on Youtube is that besides the aerial combat being overly dramatic with planes too low and the like while they squeezed too much into the movie what they did say was correct. Certainly when compared to the Charleton Heston soap opera elements added to the 1976 Midway.

17. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Took my 16 year old to see it and we both enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be perfect. I am a student of WW2 history and again, I enjoyed it. I'll tell you this...those dive bomber and torpedo plane pilots had balls of steel. A much better movie than Pearl Harbor in my opinion.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

In his book, Never Call Me a Hero, Jack Kleiss mentioned that the typical dive bomb run started at between 19,000 and 20,000 and ended up at around 1000 feet ASL. He said there were twenty-three steps to preparing for the dive, the last of which was inhaling a dose of ephedrine to open the ear canals and prevent your eardrums from rupturing. I'd often wondered how they handled that.

Bob

Archtop Bill and Bassman8 like this.
  19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I liked the movie. The cgi are wrong in some fire and explosions scenes, it is strange that it’s what they chose to put forward in the trailers. But overall it is not so bad. Terrific dive bombing scenes!

I don’t expect from any movie to be 100% historically accurate, except if it is a documentary. However it was interesting to me and I learnt some things, because that is not the part of the war that we study the most in France (more focused on Normandy...).

Now, if you like movies but think they are not what they used to be, you should watch Nolan’s Dunkirk (2017), no cgi, great images, interesting way to tell the story.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a fan of CGI either. If it is too apparent it ruins the movie for me completely.
    However, in the original Midway (and tons of other WWII movies) they used actual war footage, so I suppose that's the tradeoff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.