Midnight Moodies, Joe Walsh

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tap4154, Sep 26, 2020.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From the masterpiece album that didn't have a single bad song on it.

And

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Great songs off what is still my favorite album involving Joe Walsh!

tap4154 likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I loved all the James Gang albums, and the first Barnstorm, Smoker, So What, and But Seriously Folks, and after that there were some good songs on every album and some not so good.

tap4154 likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Legendarily good album.
    So many good memories of it from the early/mid 1970's.

We still perform Rocky Mountain Way as a band to this day.

I was traveling out west on Army business a few years ago, and drove from Yuma Arizona to Gila Bend, listening to that album on the rental car's CD player. (I had picked the CD up in a gas station sale bin.)

Something about the open desert, the glass-like skies, and the mysteries of that region that made the re-listening a very different and haunting affair.

:twisted:

Joe Walsh Smoker.PNG

tap4154 likes this.
  5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Ah, an album that influenced me so. It is interesting that for forty years Joe wouldn't list is as one of his solo albums. Why? Because he had seriously attempted to create a band and this album was a band effort. The label and marketers knew Joe was the most saleable quantity in the band and made it "Joe Walsh and Barnstorm" and eventually "Joe Walsh."

The winter after the album came out a local TV weatherman latched onto "Midnight Moodies" and made it the song they played under the thirty seconds of statistics every half-hour. I first heard it during the weather report while on vacation in the mountains of East Tennessee and you know what an impression that makes. I rushed out and bought the album. Four years later I was living in a castle on top of a mountain that was socked in by fog for weeks at a time. The fog would literally close down to a place where you could only see ten feet in front of you.

[​IMG]

After you'd been trapped in that fog for a few weeks, an interesting melancholy fell over you. Even after you'd lived there for a while it affected you. My third year there, one morning I was looking out a window at the fog with "Midnight Moodies" and "Wolf" going through my head and said to myself, "I should write a song about this feeling." Right then and there I did. It premiered a half-year later at a concert. I recorded a demo of it a few years later but I'm working up to recording it seriously.

I agree that the album doesn't have a bad cut on it. The collection of co-writers Joe had was just fantastic. I think that working at Caribou Ranch up in Nederland, CO, might have also imposed a certain cool feeling to things.

If you haven't already, track down a copy of the Audio Fidelity remaster of the album. It just brings this album to life. More HERE on my website. Be aware that Audio Fidelity has gone out of business so you'll probably need to find a used copy via Amazon or eBay.

Bob

tap4154 likes this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

After all , you can't argue with a sick mind .

kookaburra likes this.
  7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When Smoker came out I was just into my first apartment with roommates, and Smoker, 461 Ocean Boulevard and Machine Head were on heavy rotation. Still love all three of those albums. Saw him in concert a few years after, it was awesome!

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.